21 Sample Love Letters to Your Husband or Boyfriend
When to Say "I Love You"
Women aren't the only ones who love receiving love letters from their husbands or partners; men are also thrilled to receive these written tokens of affection. Don't worry; you don't have to write a fancy poem or a lengthy treatise in order to express your feelings in a heartfelt way.
A little note that conveys how you feel does not have to be a huge project. Nor does it need to be pages long. In fact, some of the best love letters may be only a few sentences long.
A short love letter can have the same effect as a lengthy one as long as your heart is in it. Below are some samples of short love letters written for your husband or the man in your life. I hope these provide inspiration as you think about composing a love letter to your special someone. Remember, love letters can be for a special occasion—or just because.
Here are some special occasions that would be a great time to write a love letter to your significant other:
- Valentine's Day
- Your anniversary
- Your husband's birthday
- Your wedding day
- When your husband is away on a long trip
Help! I Don't Know What to Say...
The best thing to write in a love letter are statements about how you feel about the person. Don't worry about how your words sound out loud. Your loved one will know that these words come straight from your heart. Write how you truly feel—not how you think you should feel.
How to Write a Love Letter to Your Husband
Many people struggle to put how they feel about their partner into words. Here are a few tips that I have found helpful when it comes to expressing your love in writing:
- Keep it simple and direct: In your own words write out how you feel. You don't have to use flowery language, just honestly write how your husband makes you feel.
- Use examples: In your writing, use some examples of the things he has done for you and how that made you feel loved.
- Use a simile or metaphor: While I advise against flowery writing, using one simile or metaphor is appropriate. Using one of them can really spice up your writing without making it sound too ridiculous.
Sample #1: The Non-Mushy Love Letter
My favorite time of the day is when I'm with you.
Everyone has a moment of the day they look forward to the most. For some, it's the first sip of wine, or when a good football game is on, or the time of day they get to sit in front of the TV.
My favorite part of the day is when I'm beside you. We don't have to be doing anything in particular. I just look forward to being by your side.
Sample #2: I Love You Because...
You don't need to sit down and write a lengthy letter—just a sweet love note here, and there can be a great way to show your love. A short love note should be simple and to the point, especially if it's just one line. Write a cheesy love line, a goofy love shout-out, or just write "I love you."
I love you because...
- you make me smile.
- my eyes shine when you look at me.
- you mean the world to me.
- every time I look your way my heart skips a beat.
- without you I would be lost.
- you have taught me the true meaning of love.
- you are you.
- ... the truth is I could fill a million pages with all the reasons I love you—but I'd rather spend that time with you.
Sample #3: More One-Line Love Notes
Here are some more ideas for one-line love notes:
- You are the love of my life—always in my thoughts and in my heart.
- When I need strength, all I need to do is look in your eyes.
- I would walk through fire to keep our love.
- I found everything I was looking for when I met you.
- You are my love.
- I think of you throughout the day, and for no reason at all.
- I am blessed to have you by my side.
- Not only do you make my world a better place, you are my world.
- Having you by my side makes every day a great day.
- My problems somehow just vanish when you are beside me.
Sample #4: To My One and Only
Your love is always on my mind. When I am away from you, I long to feel your touch, the warmth of your hand, the comfort of your arms, and the soft touch of your lips on mine. You make me so very happy. The more time I spend with you, the more I find myself falling deeper in love with you. I love you—and I love us together.
You are the man beyond my dreams: the man I wanted to marry, the man I would marry again, the first one I think about when I wake up, and the last one I think about when I go to bed.
Thank you for being there with me through the very thick and thin moments of life. I cannot imagine my life without you.
Sample #5: Thank You for Being There
Thank you for always being by my side. Together we are creating adventures we will someday share with our kids. I know when I need someone you will be there. Thank you for being the one I can count on and trust with even my darkest fears and biggest dreams. I would choose no one other than you to be my partner in life.
Sample #6: Funny Love Letter
To my prince charming,
Please keep the toilet seat down.
As a young girl, I had an image of being married to my prince charming. The kind that rides on a white horse, smells great, has a dashing smile, always has nice things to say to me, and is always tidy.
My wonderful husband, you are the man that I chose to be my dashing prince. I believe I have chosen well. You may not ride a white horse, and although your scent of bacon is not the worst, your smile definitely makes me smile. I have to add that your comments about my ass are very motivating. But please, honey, put the toilet seat down.
Love you, baby. Thank you for being my prince charming.
Sample #7: Forgive Me
I love you even though you made me cry.
Even through my tears, I love you. I am not just with you, I love you and will always love you. Yes, you made me cry, and I have been to a point where I thought my heart was breaking. But even though my tears, I knew I forgive you, just as you have forgiven me at times, because you are my true partner in life.
P.S. You still make me smile.
Creative Ideas for Love Messages
- Start with a fairy tale in mind, and see where your love letter brings you. "Once upon a time..."
- Tell him something you've always wanted to say but haven't. Or share a reason you love him you've never mentioned before.
- Did I ever tell you...
- Start with a favorite romantic movie then make a story of your own.
- I feel like our love is...
- Talk about the first time you saw him, or about your first date.
- When I first saw you...
- Start with a joke or a funny saying. Then tell him how you feel about him.
- You had me at "Stop following me!!!"
- You are to me what an eye patch and a parrot are to a pirate.
- I am the rubber; you are the glue. Any feelings you have for me bounce off and stick to you. Ironically, I feel the same way...
- Start your love letter to your husband like you would a list; then complete the list as your letter. "20 Reasons Why I Love You..."
How to Start a Love Letter
- "I love you because..." Say why you love him and how much you love him.
- "Thank you..." Thank him for being who he is, thank him for something he did or anything else you are thankful for that involves him.
- "I want you..." I'm pretty sure this one does not have to be explained. Just remember if you're going to get personal, make sure the card is given at an appropriate time and place.
- "I would marry you again and again..." Every woman wants to hear this, and I expect men would smile at the notion, as well.
- "I miss you. I want you at my side..." Does your husband travel a lot for work? Let him know you miss him when he's away.
- "I value my time with you..." Explain how you value your time with him.
- "You make my day..." Tell how his presence made a particular event more memorable.
- Be a little bit humorous. We don't always have to be all sweet and lovey to show how much we love him.
- Borrow lyrics from a song. Begin your love letter with some lyrics of a song that reminds you of him. Then end with your own words.
- Write a poem. The poem doesn't need to rhyme or be beautifully written, but it could if you want.
- A memory from the past. Remind your love of a happy time you had with him or a time you both shared.
- Things you always say. Many couples have things that they always say or do. If you do not have a cute saying already, you may think of one and stick to it if you like. It makes for a cute beginning or end of a love letter. To complete the love letter, express your feelings and how the "saying" currently applies.
- Things that are unsaid. Sometimes it's easier to write something down on paper than to say it out loud.
Valentine's Day Love Letters
Below you can find some sample letters of what you can write to your husband on Valentine's Day, one of the most romantic days of the year.
Sample #8: Please Be My Valentine
It appears that I cannot stop thinking about you. I do believe I love you. I know I love you. You are simply the best. Who would not love that smile and sense of humor? You, my loving husband, are the best thing that has ever happened to me.
Simply put, you complete me. Please be my valentine.
Love you forever and always,
Your Adoring Wife
Sample# 9: I Am a Fool in Love With You
To my sweatheart,
Be a fool with me and be my valentine. They say people do foolish things for love. What foolish things shall we do next? I would follow you anywhere and be yours.
Your Love-Stricken Wife
Christmas Love Letters
Show your love for your husband during the holiday season with a letter to surprise him with on Christmas. He will undoubtedly think it is a great gift and it will make him love you even more.
Sample #10: First Christmas Together as Husband and Wife
I have always loved Christmas, but now I cannot imagine this time of year without you. Looking forward to many more Christmases together.
Sample #11: Making a Christmas List
I do not need to make a list to Santa for something I want. When I married you, I got everything I will ever need. I all I want for Christmas is you.
Sample #12: Thankful for Your Love
My first Christmas as your wife is a memory I will hold close to my heart. I am so thankful for you and for having your love.
Anniversary Love Letters to Your Husband
Writing a letter to your partner on your wedding anniversary is a great gift and one that he will surely be touched by. Here are some samples.
Sample #13: Grateful for Our Marriage
Over the years, we have done so much together, yet each and every day with you is something new. I'm so grateful that we get to share our lives with each other. These past few years since our wedding have been the best times of my life; I love you.
Sample #14: Still Falling in Love With You
Happy anniversary my love. I can't help myself, but I keep falling more in love with you as the years pass. You are an amazing and thoughtful person.
Sample #15: Anniversary Reflections
Four years ago was the best day of my life, and every moment since has been incredible. I feel so loved by you that I can't help but cry from joy as I write this. You're the best person I know.
Birthday Love Letters to Your Husband
Giving your significant other a love letter on his birthday is a fantastic gift and one that will surely take him by surprise. Here are some examples of what you can write about.
Sample #16: Kindess and Compassion
Happy birthday my love. You brighten up my day, and your kindness and compassion know no bounds. You may be one year older, but you're also one year wiser.
Sample #17: You Are My Inspiration
The way you live your life inspires me every day. May you have a special birthday and one that is filled with much joy and happiness.
Sample #18: Another Amazing Year
I feel so fortunate and grateful to spend this special day with you. Happy birthday my love, may this next year be even better than the last.
Wedding Day Love Letters
One's wedding day can be a great time to write a short but sweet note to your husband. Additionally, you can write your vows down if you've decided that the two of you will read your own vows.
Sample #19: A Pledge of Love
I pledge to you, my love, to always laugh with you during the good times, and cry with you during the bad times. To always respect and cherish every moment with you, and to love you now and forever.
Sample #20: Unconditional Love
I promise to love you unconditionally, without any hesitation, now and forever. I promise to stand by you, trust you, encourage you, and respect you. I accept you for who are fully, and I give myself to you in return.
Sample #21: Accepting and Loving You
I take you as you who are, with all of your perfections and imperfections. I promise to love and take care of you through all the triumphs and all the failures. I promise to laugh and respect you, trusting that we will support each other always.
How Often Do You Write Love Letters to Your Spouse?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.