How to Feel Better When You Miss Your Boyfriend
I Miss My Boyfriend, What Do I Do?
Being apart from someone you care about can be tough, especially if you two share a deep bond and you do many activities together. Not having your boyfriend around for a substantial period can seem like torture at times. However, instead of letting yourself be consumed by sadness, find a more positive mindset. It is important for you to accept that being apart from your boyfriend is healthy, you both need some time on your own. Wanting to have some time to yourself is not a bad thing and it is part of any healthy, long-term relationship.
In this article, I have listed some things you can do to take your mind off of missing your boyfriend, and these activities will keep you occupied until he returns to you.
Here are twelve strategies for what to do when you miss your boyfriend:
- Send Him a Text
- Hang Out With Your Friends
- Give Him a Quick Phone or Video Call
- Do Something Creative
- Remind Yourself of the Next Time You Will See Him
- Talk With a Friend or Family Member
- Keep Yourself Busy
- Write Him Handwritten Letters
- Avoid Looking at Pictures and Reminiscing
- Be Happy and Grateful
- Take a Short Trip of Your Own
1. Send Your Boyfriend a Sweet Text
Send your emotions out to your boyfriend in a sweet text, and let him know how much you are missing him. Write something cute and end your mushy line with a cute emoji.
If you can't think of anything to write, just send an emoji by itself. He will reply back in kind. Even short and wordless conversations like these will be a soothing balm for your aching heart. The great thing about modern technology is that you can keep in touch with him even if he is halfway across the world. While you do not want to obsessively text him, maintaining contact with him is a great way to stay connected even while he is away. A text is a great way to do this because he can respond to it at a convenient time, even if it's while you're asleep! There is nothing like waking up to a cute text from your boyfriend!
2. Hang Out With Your Girlfriends
Hang out with your girlfriends; that will take your mind off how much you're missing him. Call up some of your besties and hang out together.
Go out for a coffee, go shopping, go to the movies, or just have a sleepover with your friends. The laughs, the smiles, and the gossip will help put a stop to the anxiety about being away from your guy.
Plan out a day trip and find someplace scenic to go to with your girlfriends. Having an active day filled with adventure is a great way to take your mind off how much you miss your man. As a bonus you can leave your phone at home so that you won't be distracted: you can just immerse yourself in whatever it is you and your girlfriends are doing.
3. Make a Quick Call to Say Hi
Missing him too much? Put your anxiety to rest by giving him a quick call. Be honest and tell him that you called just because you were missing him.
Guys are typically not the masters of two-minute mushy talks, but listening to his voice even for a short time will surely bring a smile to your face. You can also try face-timing him to make it a little more realistic or use Skype or something similar. Hearing his voice is great but seeing his face is even better. Keep in mind this may be tricky depending on what part of the world your man is in, you certainly don't want to wake him up with a call in the middle of the night. Plan out a time when the two of you can talk and go for it.
4. Channel Your Emotions Into Something Creative
Emotional highs and lows are known to bring out the best when it comes to creativity. When you miss your boyfriend terribly, channel your emotional ups and downs by doing something creative.
The best way to go about this is to focus on a hobby like playing the guitar, painting, writing, dancing, or sketching. Your intense mood will bring out the best in you. Give a fun twist to this exercise by recording a video of your creative outburst and sending it to your boyfriend if you want.
Figure out a good strategy that gets your creative juices flowing: maybe light a candle or two, or go out in the backyard. Have some type of goal in mind for what you are going to create and see what happens. You'd be surprised by how much time flies when you're working on a creative project.
5. Remind Yourself of the Moment When You Will Meet Your Boyfriend Again
Lighten up the sad expression on your face by thinking about the next time you will see your boyfriend. A little fantasy will help you convert the frustration of missing him into beautiful thoughts.
This is helpful especially if you are in a long-distance relationship. From planning dates to cuddling afterward, thinking about the time you will finally see your boyfriend again will send you into a beautiful trance.
Don't overthink it too much though; you don't want to obsess about every little detail, just know that your boyfriend will return soon enough and you two will be able to do plenty of exciting and fun things.
Have a positive outlook on the situation and understand that while at the moment you may be sad that your man is not around, the feeling you will get on that first day he comes back will be magical.
6. Talk to a Best Friend or Someone in Your Family
Sometimes, all a crying heart needs is an outlet. If you are feeling low and depressed because you are missing your boyfriend a bit too much, talk to your best friend. Better yet, if you are close to your sister or someone else in your family, talk to them.
Talking won't change the fact that you are away from your boyfriend, but simply speaking to someone who can understand your emotions will instantly make you feel lighter. The reassuring words of your best friend will put you at ease and help you go on about your normal routine.
Talking to someone you love and trust is a big stress-reliever, as they can help you work through the intense emotions you are feeling. Additionally, if your family member or friend is older than you, they may have some sagely wisdom to impart to you about your situation.
7. Keep Yourself Busy
The easiest way to stop yourself from spiraling down into the frustration of missing your boyfriend constantly is to keep yourself busy. Here are a few ideas:
- Clean and reorganize: If you've been putting off some big cleaning or reorganizing project, now is the time to do it. Your closet may be a total mess right now, but you'd be amazed at how that can change after a weekend of work. The same thing goes for any other project that you have been putting off, now that you have some alone time you're ready to invest some more time into accomplishing those tasks.
- Shopping: A day devoted to shopping can be a great idea. Go to some store you've always thought about but never had the time to go to and see what they have. You can also go shopping for a special gift for your man so you can surprise him when he returns.
- Work: If you have been putting off doing something for work, get it done. This is particularly true for anything that involves a big presentation or a big meeting. Do some prep work so you can come into work feeling confident and ready to go. If you are a student, pull out the books and get some homework done.
- Read a book: The great thing about reading a book is that you can totally tune out the outside world and get lost in the pages. Curl up with a good book and see how the plot unfolds. We all have that one book on our shelf that we've wanted to read but have never found the time for, so get started on it!
In general, just find something to do and just keep yourself busy. Apart from being the most productive solution to your problem, this will help you catch up on stuff that you have been procrastinating about for a long time. We all have those projects and responsibilities we have been putting off for another day, and with your boyfriend gone, you have the time to finish what you've started.
8. Write Handwritten Letters to Your Boyfriend
If you are missing your partner in a long-distance relationship, one of the best ways to channel your emotions without making a fuss about it is to write letters by hand. This also works if your man is going to be away for a number of weeks and you know the address he is staying at.
Writing a love letter by hand is one of the most emotionally pacifying things you will ever experience. Pull out all your emotions from the deepest corner of your heart and write touching messages to your long distance partner.
Tell your boyfriend to reply by writing a letter too. These romantic letters will be a sweet keepsake and reading them will bring a smile to your face.
9. Avoid Looking at Pictures of the Two of You Together
Swiping through pictures of yourself and your boyfriend on your iPad is not going to help your cause. It will push you deeper into the emotional turmoil you are already in.
If you must, flip through a couple of pictures quickly. Don't keep gazing at them, or else you could be lost in the heartbreaking sadness of not having your guy by your side. Take this same approach with the rest of your life, it is not healthy to constantly think about your man, you have to go out and live your life. If you find yourself daydreaming too much about your boyfriend, find something else to occupy your mind.
10. Be Happy About Missing Your Boyfriend: Love Is Supposed to Be Like That
One mistake that girls make in a relationship is trying hard to fight the feeling of attachment. Don't see yourself as being clingy or needy if you miss your boyfriend. On the contrary, feel good about your relationship, and be happy about the fact that the puppy love between you two is still thriving.
Missing your guy is a completely natural thing, and there is no reason why you should be embarrassed about it. Be grateful for the fact that you get to have such an amazing man in your life. Many people in the world are searching for what you have, so it's something to cherish.
Taking the time out of your day to get some exercise in is a great way to occupy your mind. There are numerous health benefits that come with exercising, whether it's something high-intensity or low-intensity. Going out for a relaxing run or hike can really soothe your aching heart. You can also bring some of your friends with you to make it even more fun and exciting. Having a group of people putting in the work with you can make it much more manageable and make it less boring.
12. Take a Short Trip of Your Own
Instead of staying cooped up inside all day pining for your man, pick a spot that you want to travel to that is nearby. Getting lost in nature or in the sights and sounds of a big city is a great way to calm your mind and stop thinking about how much you miss your boyfriend. While going solo may seem frightening at first, it actually feels quite relaxing to be out by yourself exploring.
Why Do I Miss My Boyfriend so Much?
There are many reasons why you miss your boyfriend, and many of them are normal and part of a healthy relationship.
Reasons such as:
- You love being around him: The two of you do so many fun and exciting things that it is hard for you to do those same things without him, you feel like there is a gap there without your man.
- You are used to his presence: This is particularly true if the two of you live together. You have gotten used to being around him constantly, so when he is not there, it throws you out of the loop.
- You are emotionally invested in him: When two people are in a committed long-term relationship, they become emotionally invested in each other, and this deep bond can make it difficult to be without your partner. Since you feel so strongly about him, being without him for an extended period is difficult.
There are also some reasons why you miss your boyfriend that are not the healthiest. These reasons may be indicative of obsessive behavior which is not healthy for the relationship.
- Constantly thinking about him: While your man will be on your mind from time to time, letting thoughts of him dominate you all the time is not a good sign. Your existence doesn't revolve around him and always thinking about your boyfriend is obsessive behavior that is damaging to the relationship.
- Constantly contacting him: While it is normal to talk to him on a regular basis, calling him multiple times during the day or continually texting him is not a good thing to do. Give yourself some space from him and put your phone away.
- Constantly telling people you know how much you miss him: If you are always telling people how you miss your boyfriend, it is going to reflect poorly on you. Again, this is obsessive behavior that is a sign that you have some personal issues to work out.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.