Due to the success of 101 Reasons to Stay Single years after it was published (and now that I am, in fact, happily engaged,) I decided to put together a new list– 101 reasons to get (and stay!) Married. Enjoy. :)
1. You have an excuse to throw one heck of a party.
2. You get the thrill of trying to hide gifts from your partner (and surprising them with those gifts!)
3. If you buy something yummy, you can have fun feeding it to each other.
4. You end up with twice as much awesome stuff in your house to enjoy.
5. You can work on projects, arts and crafts together.
6. You don’t have to watch movies at the theater all by yourself.
7. You suddenly have an excuse to move to a bigger place.
8. You have a reason to eat healthier.
9. You have a reason to spend your nights doing something other than surfing for porn.
10. You don’t have to be bitter about Valentine’s Day anymore.
11. Your family gets bigger.
12. You have someone to take roadtrips with.
13. You have someone to explore the world with.
14. You have a reason to keep from letting your messes get out of control.
15. You have someone to share your dreams and fantasies with.
16. You can listen to each other’s problems and help each other through them.
17. You have someone else to consider before you make any rash, crazy or destructive decisions.
18. You have someone to enjoy your music with.
19. Nothing cures headaches like a good orgasm.
20. There are religious benefits, if you’re into that sort of thing.
21. The group of friends you hang out with gets bigger (even if just by one person!)
22. Suddenly, you have someone who will share a pizza with you at 3am.
23. You can have a beer with someone other than your friends.
24. Your friends don’t have to listen to your complaints about being single anymore.
25. You have someone to read with (or to!)
26. You have someone who will catch you if you fall.
27. You can learn to compromise.
28. You can learn to listen and be understanding.
29. You have an excuse to write love poetry (and leave it for your partner to find.)
30. You have someone you can kiss until the sun rises (and wait up for the dawn with.)
31. You have someone to talk about your past with.
32. You don’t have to sleep alone (or cuddle your pillow)
33. You can teach each other things (other than just patience)
34. You don’t have to self-shoot your profile pictures anymore.
35. That whole “just friends with benefits” thing? Yeah, never worked for me.
36. You don’t have to go out or pay for massages anymore.
37. Suddenly you can get hugs pretty much whenever you need them.
38. You don’t have to worry about being called a cat lady (or a terminal bachelor!)
39. You have an excuse to cook something more healthy (and more substantial) than just a frozen burrito.
40. You have someone to celebrate your successes with.
41. You have someone rooting for you to succeed.
42. You have someone to stand by you during the hard times.
43. Suddenly you have someone other than your pet who you get to buy surprises for.
44. You have an excuse to keep yourself in shape.
45. Married people are happier on average anyway.
46. You don’t have to go into adult shops alone (or feel creepy doing it)
47. You have someone to share a nice, romantic candle-lit bath with.
48. There are no problems, only solutions.
49. You don’t have to keep your deepest secrets bottled up inside anymore.
50. You have someone (besides your mom) to make stuff for.
51. You don’t have to travel alone anymore.
52. Someone besides you actually cares how your day went.
53. You have someone to dance with.
54. Together, you can do anything.
55. Romantic songs start to make you happy (instead of sad or angry.)
56. You have someone to hold (or who will hold you) when things get really hard.
57. You have someone to protect (or who will protect you) when faced with danger.
58. You have somewhere else to be (when you can’t wait to get out of some situation or another.)
59. You get an awesome excuse to wear an awesome ring.
60. You have an excuse to celebrate holidays even when your family isn’t anywhere nearby.
61. You have an excuse to create new traditions.
62. If you learn a new language together, you have someone to practice it with.
63. You have someone you can be silly with who won’t judge you for it.
64. You have an excuse to be a lady (or a gentleman)
65. You can do cute things (like calling a radio station you know your partner is listening to and dedicate a song to them.)
66. You have someone else’s hair to play with other than your own.
67. You have a good reason to stay positive and not be a downer.
68. You have an excuse to wake someone up with kisses.
67. You have someone to remind you of all the things you have to be grateful for.
68. You have someone you can be yourself around (instead of feeling like you always have to fit in.)
69. You have someone else who believes in your dreams and your ability to succeed.
70. You don’t have to brave the dating scene anymore (or risk ending up in a relationship with someone who is totally nuts!)
71. You can throw away that tattered memo on your desk that says “Stay strong! Stay single as long as you can!”
72. You have someone who is willing to wash your back for you.
73. A good relationship is like a cushion of air that lifts you up and keeps you flying all day long.
74. You can live all the really juicy (and dangerous) stories vicariously through your single friends instead of first hand.
75. Any children you have will have more than one person to take care of them (and for them to look up to)
76. You have someone you can be eccentric or artistic with.
77. Say goodbye to heartache, dumping, and being dumped.
78. Love is a powerful armor for your self esteem.
79. You have two brains full of knowledge to draw from in a given situation (instead of just one.)
80. You have an excuse not to spend your whole life working.
81. You have someone to come home to (or who can come home to you.)
82. Happy people (i.e. people in good relationships!) are less likely to spend all their money on things they don’t need.
83. It gives your grandparents something grand to be happy about.
84. Telling someone you want to spend your life with them (and them alone) is a powerful way to say “I love you.”
85. You don’t have to clean alone.
86. It’s easier to spot cool things in stores - - two sets of eyes!
87. Suddenly there is someone (other than your mom) who appreciates your art.
88. You get the wonderful boost of a kiss on the way out the door.
89. You have someone to call you on it (or warn you) when you make a bad judgement.
90. You have someone to try new foods with (and cook with!)
91. You get to take time off from work for your honeymoon.
92. Happiness is infectious.
93. You get to enjoy the small things, like watching how your partner dresses themselves.
94. You can experience the wonderful dualism of a partnership.
95. It is easier to see your own shortcomings through the eyes of another.
96. Suddenly, you have a reason not to walk away from it all.
97. If your work schedules are different, there’s almost always someone home (and that makes for a safer house!)
98. You can make it romantic and get remarried over and over again.
99. You have a constant companion who you can walk with, run with and enjoy life with.
100. Suddenly you have proof that happy endings really do happen (and they’re just the beginning!)
101. Suddenly, there is someone in your life who makes you really and genuinely want to be a better person.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
The Real Truth on January 18, 2020:
Well i can give you 101 reasons Not to get married which i will list quite a few right now. Today most women with their careers are very high maintenance, independent, since they don't need men anyway, very selfish, greedy, spoiled, picky, narcissists, gold diggers, cheaters, think they're God's gift to men, can't even commit to only one man anymore, sleep around with different men all the time, and very very money hungry these days more than ever. Gee most women in the old days weren't like this at all, and notice i said most women since they were very committed to their men. And unfortunately since we live in a very completely different time today which most of these type of women nowadays want the very best of all, and will never ever settle for less. This is why our family members were very lucky and blessed to be born at a much better time than we were since love did come very very easy for them back then. Been there.
X on November 09, 2017:
what a load of bullshit oh my god you forgot domestic abuse and "ball and chain" jokes
Levertis Steele from Southern Clime on August 26, 2012:
I am thinking that you were very emotional when you wrote "101 Reasons to Stay Single." As I read this list, "101 Reasons to Get Married," each item did not slap me in the face with strong feelings as the other one. This list is more relaxed, calm, as if you were adoring your sweetheart as you wrote it. The first one was a threat to some women who wanted to get married. It was as if you were giving potential mates bad ideas. This hub's list is ideal and the items are predictable. I just could not believe that you were able to come up with 101 credible reasons to stay single! Who could argue with them if that is what a person desires? Some are a bit selfish but certainly the person's choice and right.
Thanks for sharing such great hubs.
greedypirate on April 08, 2012:
Females love this list. Wait till she divorces you and gives everything you worked for to a new man. Even your kids. Never marry!!!
smzclark from cheshire on February 22, 2012:
very well done!
Roadster on February 01, 2012:
This is wrong. You forgot to ask how everything else doubles in cost...vacations, food, gas, clothes. Especially if your wife is a freaking stay at home women with no career and milking you.
Yes, I divorced my lazy ass wife when, after four years, she couldn't hold down a job for longer than a month...even a burger joint job, FFS.
jally K on January 19, 2012:
I'm single but I've realise that the 101 reasons stated are true. I like it, keep it up.
joseph on December 12, 2011:
thanks God 4 d opptunty lik dis, i must say God has been woundful in my relatonship.
nai on December 06, 2011:
I like this one better than the reasons to stay single. I have a hard time agreeing with #77 though. It seems to me that the heartache and such is substantially worse if you get dumped by someone your married to. They even have a separate word for it.. "divorce"
Bandar F from Dammam on November 30, 2011:
great hub, and wonderful reasons, thank you
Ronit on November 21, 2011:
I feel like you only made this list because your girl made you. She can't get over how much you loved being single and will always wonder if you still wish you were.
E. on October 25, 2011:
Yeah, I'm single, but you're gonna have to be amazing to change that :D
ally on October 21, 2011:
I love having someones laundry to do. I like to find a balance between the two lists. Being in a loving committed relationship, but not living together. Its bliss. We spend nights together when we want, yet we still get our "me" time. I still get everything on the single list (minus the date who I wants ;)) And its nice to have the connection with someone you dont get that emotional connection with just a friend, its the intimate bond of sharing bodies that makes it easy to share a soul and a life together.
Lady independant on October 11, 2011:
The single list made more sense to me, I have paid a price for the list you provided here, that I can't approve such points are worth it.
Frank on September 15, 2011:
Sumeet on September 14, 2011:
Hi, I am single and I went thru both the lists. Indeed a great research and practical experience have been shared. I personally feel that being single brings easier life due to no responsibilities and more freedom, while it hurts sometimes because there is no emotional support and no love / sex life. So one should decide his / her own priorities first and then should take the decision of being single or married. God bless to both.
firechik211 on September 12, 2011:
I like this a lot. I'm 26 and have been married AND divorced already. I'm now in a happy, healthy relationship. Thanks for sharing!
jonathan on September 05, 2011:
So which list holds true to your heart then? Can no one see that all you need is love! If you have to make a list then its unlikely you have met mr/s right. Marriage is just a social controlling mechanism for the masses. You do not need a ring and marriage certificate to prove your love for each other. But you do need them to be accepted by the majority and to not be looked upon like a misfit later in life. Sad really
Jade on September 03, 2011:
Your reasons for getting married are complete wrong. Married people are NOT, on average, happier than single people. The research has demonstrated this. Anybody can be happy single, as long as they don't believe the matrimania that is fed to them by society.
Young Maid on August 29, 2011:
Yeah.. I liked the single list better. It's funny, I'm single and yet I have all the support of a married person as described above. I get all the perks, and I don't have to do anybody's laundry! Marriage isn't for everybody, and more power to ya! Honestly, all my married friends just bitch and moan, and the parents tell me to stay single forever. Hate to say it, I'm too selfish for marriage- and that isn't a bad thing. It's better to recognize my selfishisness now, then in 5 years when I'm married with two kids.
swan on August 25, 2011:
"people get married because you want to not because you have to!"
Sums up all. 99% of the people get married because they have to!!! specially after 30.
Anuj Kalra on August 07, 2011:
hope it works out for you but when i see failed marriages around me (including my parents) it becomes frustrating for everyone! including your kids!!
So people get married because you want to not because you have to!
Nick Johnson (Bachelor for life) on June 25, 2011:
Well.....Good luck with this love and family life that you are in. Frankly I liked your Single 101 page better. Ya, I can see where you and other people who desire love that they may like this 101 Reasons to Get married thingy, but The truth is folks, Love is a CHOICE, not Fate or Destiny. Everything in life is a choice. Ya sure God has plans for everyone, but the best thing that came with those plans is a thing called Free Will. As for me, I do choose the single bachelor life. Ya it may be lonely as heck at some point, but that kind of life is much more basic and easier to live. For those of you that are in relationships, engagements, AND/OR Marriages, I say unto you, God Bless!
emma on March 06, 2011:
Thanks for sharing, I am still a single person and i have read both list. However, personally I felt that the married list are more fullfiled and complete a person life. Because most of the item in the list refers to someone that we can share our life and xperience with. To give love unconditionally usually can lift up our spirits, hence our satisfaction fullfilled.
Alsagheer on December 10, 2010:
Iam honest man and God fearing.I look for honest woman from anycountry.My email(firstname.lastname@example.org).
967hotman on December 07, 2010:
Iam a single man.My age is 30.I look for honest woman.I look for woman who preciate her husband.No problem her age,religion,but the matter is the love.My email(email@example.com).
Alsagheer on December 01, 2010:
I look for honest woman for marriage.Iam honest man ,i am reliable for marriage.My email(firstname.lastname@example.org).
chspublish from Ireland on November 29, 2010:
Great creativity. Congrats! Very inspiring perpsective on the world and such adaptability from the single to the couple state is truly admirable. Here's wishing you well on your new journey.
Jasmine JellyBaby on November 29, 2010:
Awww what a lovely list of a happily ever after relationship! Although No.66 is a bit difficult for me as my man hasn't got any hair on his shiny head lol Thanks for putting a smile on my face.
AutumnLockwood from Northern California on November 28, 2010:
I'm married but I still self-shoot my profile pictures. Is there something wrong with my marriage? LOL. Great hub!
Long distance girl on November 27, 2010:
Thanks for writing this. Although I'm confused as he'll in my current relationship, both your lists have put a smile on my face. I miss being single and I also enjoy sharing myself to my boyfriend.
Sunnyglitter from Cyberspace on November 26, 2010:
This was a really cute article. I enjoyed it a lot. It made me smile.
frogyfish from Central United States of America on November 25, 2010:
Ah cute! I didn't think you'd make to 101 but you DID IT! Congrats!
Lisa Smith from Coupeville, WA on November 24, 2010:
Totally Awesome! I love it!