Smitty has been happily married for 55 years. He enjoys coming up with ways to make his wife feel special.
How to Make Your Spouse or Partner Feel Special
Here you will find a list of special things that you can do for the one you love.
These are little things that you can do "just because" you love them. Many of these ideas come from my own 55 years of marriage, and some have been borrowed from other "incorrigible romantics". The key to using these ideas is the element of surprise, and variety. Some will take time and preparation, while others can be sprung at any moment.
One of my favorite memories was when I found out where my wife liked to purchase clothes. I visited the store and talked to the sales clerk and found out that my wife had been looking at a particular dress, but didn't have the funds to buy it. So I purchased it, had it wrapped up, and asked my wife to save the following Friday on her calendar for a date night.
Next, I made reservations at a restaurant on the top floor of a high-rise office building in Los Angeles, and I bought tickets to a Broadway play.
The first surprise on Friday was the dress, the next was dinner, and the last was a wonderful evening watching the production of Cats.
Have fun, and enjoy a good relationship!
100 Ideas for That Special Someone
1. Hide love notes in a lunch box, briefcase or purse.
2. Walk hand in hand in the rain.
3. Write a love poem.
4. Call your favorite radio station and dedicate a special song.
5. Surprise your partner with a big kiss on the neck.
6. Give unexpected compliments.
7. Make heart-shaped cinnamon toast for breakfast.
8. Place a love note in the personals section of the newspaper.
9. Take a carriage ride around the city.
10. Plan a surprise getaway.
11. Do your mate's household chores.
12. Write notes on future dates in their date book ("I love you," I miss you," etc.)
13. Make reservations at a favorite restaurant.
14. Let them choose the movie.
15. Give a foot massage.
16. Make a heart-shaped bookmark, and place it in their book.
17. Pop in a romantic music CD and slow dance.
18. Throw a just-because surprise party for two.
19. Buy a stuffed animal for your honey.
20. Cook for each other.
21. Make a list of the top 10 things you love about your partner.
22. Display it in a prominent place.
23. Find out their favorite cologne/perfume and wear it every time you're
24. Make an album or scrapbook of your favorite memories together.
25. Go camping together and only take one sleeping bag.
26. Send a mushy message in a bottle...a balloon...a sandwich...
27. Cut out a silly cartoon that you know they'd enjoy.
28. Shower together.
29. Dim the lights, and snuggle together on the couch.
30. Be the first to say "I'm sorry" and kiss and make up.
31. Give random gifts of love, like candy, poetry or roses.
32. Kiss every hour on the hour all day long.
33. Whisper to each other.
34. Have a picnic on the living room floor.
35. Go for a long walk down the beach at midnight.
36. Fill up the gas tank of your partner's car.
37. Watch the sunset together.
38. Show up with a bouquet of flowers—for no reason at all.
39. Play Scrabble together, using as many "love" words as you can.
40. Run a warm bubble bath for your partner, with lots of lit candles.
41. Meet in the park for a picnic.
42. Hold hands.
43. Leave a trail of rose petals through the house, leading to a romantic candlelight dinner.
44. Make a donation in your mate's name to a special cause or charity.
45. Pick up their clothes from the floor—without saying a word about it.
46. Watch an old black and white romantic movie and share a bowl of popcorn.
47. Reenact your first date.
48. Surprise your partner with tickets to a special event.
49. An unexpected hug can brighten any day.
50. Buy a silly, impromptu gift.
51. Send an email just to say "I'm thinking of you."
52. Bring home a balloon bouquet.
53. Serve breakfast in bed.
54. Make an ornament with a picture of both of you for the Christmas tree.
55. Play tag.
56. Wash and wax your partner's car, and leave a little note on the dashboard.
57. Plant a garden together.
58. Leave a mushy message on voicemail.
59. Stay at a hotel for the night, just because.
60. Make angels in the snow.
61. Every time you say "hello" or "goodbye", seal it with a hug and a kiss.
62. Take a drive in the country.
63. Spend the evening looking at the stars—and make a wish together.
64. Cast a playful wink anytime, anywhere.
65. Think up a list of silly little pet names for times when you're alone together.
66. Read poetry to each other.
67. Celebrate your half-birthdays together.
68. Put a picture of both of you in your wallet.
69. Buy that favorite book or CD for no reason at all.
70. Send a care package to work filled with treats like food, photos, candy, a love note, heart-shaped confetti, etc.
71. Go out for the evening and tell people you're on your honeymoon.
72. Take a hike together and carve your initials in a tree.
73. Write a thank you note for all the things you take for granted.
74. Make a fire in the fireplace and roast marshmallows.
75. Tape your favorite TV show and spend the evening talking.
76. Do the dishes together, then apply hand lotion to each other's hands.
77. Write a love letter to your partner and cut it into jigsaw puzzle pieces.
78. Decide on secret signals and use them to communicate with each other in large groups of people.
79. Schedule a regular mid-week "date night" for just the two of you.
80. Do the laundry together.
81. Very lightly push up her chin, look into her eyes, tell her you love her, and kiss her lightly.
82. Call your partner at work and ask for a date.
83. Pretend you haven't seen each other for a month. Act accordingly.
84. Send a written invitation to do something special.
85. Take turns reading to each other.
86. Stand outside the window and sing a romantic song.
87. Hide favorite candy in your partner's coat pockets.
88. Put a tape recording of your voice (saying anything) in the car stereo and turn it on so it plays when the car starts.
89. Go to a drive-in movie.
90. Get up to turn off the last light after you're both comfy-cozy in bed.
91. Hold each other tight during a thunderstorm.
92. Make a tape recording of favorite love songs.
93. Leave a bunch of bananas on the kitchen table with a note, "I go bananas over you!"
94. Hide love notes in a magazine.
95. Declare your undying love via a telegram.
96. Make a romantic dinner together, and serve it on your finest china.
97. Write "I Love You" in lipstick or shaving cream on the mirror.
98. Remember to say "I love you" and "I need you" often.
99. Share an ice cream cone.
100. Get an anti-fog stick and write love notes on the bathroom mirror so when your mate gets out of the shower the message will show up in the steam.