I love writing about relationships, love, romance, and flirting. I hope you find the advice in my articles useful.
Forgiveness Messages—There's Nothing Like Writing a Thought-Out and Heartfelt Apology
There are few better ways to apologize to your partner than to write a short 'I am sorry' message that touches the heart. So if you have fought or argued with your girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, or wife, read on and take ideas from this article to incorporate into your own heartfelt apology. Use them in a card, email, sms, phone call, voice mail, text message, sticky note, tweet, Facebook update, or personally delivered apology—do whatever it takes to get your partner to forgive you.
In This Article, You Will Find
- Tips for how to make your message your own
- Short apology messages perfect for texts
- 'I am sorry' messages for your boyfriend
- 'I am sorry' messages for your girlfriend
- 'I am sorry' messages for your husband
- 'I am sorry' messages for your wife
- Tips on how to make your apology special
Tips for How to Make Your Message Your Own
Your relationship is unique, and therefore all of these messages should only be treated as starting points. Here are some ideas for how to tailor these messages to fit the occasion:
- Be personal and specific when communicating how much he or she means to you. This article will give you ideas for how to do so, but your relationship is one-of-a-kind—find ways to communicate that. Compliment your significant other on something he or she takes pride in or say thank you for something he or she has done recently. Be specific about what he or she does that makes your relationship so happy that you can’t imagine living without it.
- Do not place blame. When apologizing, you should set aside questions of fault and recognize that your significant other is feeling hurt. Focus on how to address those feelings.
- Use statements that start with 'I'. Arguments usually start because someone made an assumption. So don't make any statements that assume the other person's intention, 'You lashed out at me.' Instead, state the facts and say how they made you feel (this statement will likely start with 'I': 'When you told me you didn't have time to wait for me [fact], I felt hurt [I statement].'
- Acknowledge what you could have done—and will do—differently: Own that at least part of the fault was your, and offer up steps to make things work. These steps could involve actions on both side, such as, 'I'll make sure I won't hold us up next time. When you're feeling rushed, can you let me know when you plan to leave, so that I can be ready?'
- Apologize and express your love. After all, this is what the message is for. Reassure him or her that you didn't mean to be hurtful.
- Be genuine. Remember, your significant other knows you. And he or she will be able to tell if you aren't really sorry. If you're just going through the motions, even the best-worded apology message will not help. Take some time and do something you enjoy to help put you into a positive, more accommodating mindset.
- Follow up in person. The great thing about sending a text message, email, or note is that it can give your significant other time to think over your apology and come to terms with his or her emotions. Next time you see each other in person, follow up by repeating what you expressed in the note, so he or she knows you meant it and that the issue is important to you.
Read on for ideas for how to phrase your message.
Short Apology Messages Perfect for Texts
- You mean the world to me. Will you forgive me?
- I need you in my life. I am sorry.
- I'm sorry. I'll do whatever it takes to keep you in my arms.
- Your tears are too precious to be wasted. Let me make it up to you.
- I miss that tender spot on your shoulder. Please forgive me.
- I'm sorry for being such a pain.
- Please forgive me for all of my annoying habits.
- I promise to be a better person.
- I would never mean to cause you so much pain. I promise to be a better communicator.
- My life is incomplete without you. Please forgive me.
Read More From Pairedlife
'I Am Sorry' Messages for Your Boyfriend
- You mean the world to me, and I want to do everything I can to make up to you for last week. I know I've been on your nerves, but that's just because I can't get enough of you. I'm sorry, and I know you will forgive me, won't you?
- You are the hottest (sweetest, etc.) guy in class and deserve nothing but the most understanding girlfriend ever. I'm sorry for the tantrum I threw yesterday, baby.
- Hi, hot stuff. I just want to let you know how sorry I am for goofing up the other day. I'm all yours, and I promise never to bother you like that again. xoxo
- I am sorry for arguing with you. It's just that I want the best of things to happen in your life. Please forgive me, baby.
- I know it seems as though I've been ignoring you. I'm sorry. I've been loaded with projects and submissions (or whatever the reason) in the last few weeks, but I promise that we will spend happy, fun, and naughty times after the week is over.
- I promise I'll think before I speak next time. You know I did not mean any of the things I said to you yesterday, don't you? I need you in my life, and I'm very sorry about last night.
- What do I have to do to make you believe that there's nothing going on between me and the new guy at work? I'm sorry I have not kept you in the loop of things recently, but I hope you believe me. I love you!
- You are the sweetest, cutest, and hottest guy I know, and I will do anything and everything it takes for you to forgive me. I'm sorry for what I did, now let's make up with a kiss!
- I'm sorry I've become so jealous and possessive about you. It's only because I'm afraid other girls will pounce over hot stuff like you! But I promise not to get worked up and lose my temper again the way I did yesterday.
- Who has the best body? You. Who is the most handsome guy? You. Who is the hottest bloke? You. Who is the coolest? You. Who is the most understanding boyfriend ever? You. Who is going to forgive me quickly? You. I'm sorry! xoxo
'I Am Sorry' Messages for Your Girlfriend
- I feel like the worst person in the whole world. I'm truly sorry for shouting at you, and I promise I'll never do it again. Forgive me, babe.
- I'm sorry for getting angry at you for no reason. I'll do whatever it takes to keep you in my arms, beautiful.
- I'm heartbroken and can't believe I lied to you. I know I will never be able to make it up to you. But at least let me try by accepting my apology. I am sorry, sweetheart, I will never do it again. Ever.
- I'm really sorry if anything I did at the party last weekend offended you. I didn't mean to hurt you. You will forgive your darling boyfriend, won't you?
- I didn't mean to be such a possessive boyfriend. It's just that I love you a bit too much. I promise to tone my behavior down. I'm sorry, sweetie.
- You are the girl of my dreams, and it pains me to see you cry. Please accept my apology and give me a smile, because your tears are too precious to be wasted. I'm sorry.
- I know you are angry right now. But when you get a moment to reflect on what has happened, I want you to think about all the good times we've had, all the happy memories we've shared, and what the future holds for the both of us. I'm sorry sweetheart, and I hope you can forgive me.
- I don't know what to say but to apologize for being such a jerk. I hope you look beyond this mistake and forgive me. Love you, babe.
- I'm sorry for being a bit clingy. It's just that I can't stop thinking about you!
- I will not stop pampering you until I see that beautiful smile on your face again. I will do whatever it takes to show you how sorry I am. Forgive me, baby.
'I Am Sorry' Messages for Your Husband
- I'm sorry for being demanding, and I hope you will take me back in your arms again. I miss that tender spot on your shoulder, honey. Forgive me?
- I am the only one who needs to apologize for the troubles we've had this week. I'm sorry and I hope we can get back to being the happiest couple in town. I love you.
- I shouldn't have been so angry when you came in late last night. I've fixed a delicious brekky for you and look forward to spending a lovely evening with you after we're both back from work. Love you tons! Forgive me, darling.
- Sorry for being such an annoying b***h the other day. But remember, this b***h is all yours. Forgive me, won't you?
- I don't know what has happened to me. I know that I've been acting strange and have been very annoying. I'm sorry, darling.
- I'm sorry for being such a pain. I honestly didn't mean to insult you. Forgive me quickly, so I can pamper you and show you a good time inside and outside the bedroom!
- It breaks my heart to see you sad. I know times have been tough and I have not been supportive enough. But let's put that behind us and look forward to happier times ahead. I'm sorry, honey. Please forgive me.
- I'm the only one responsible for all the bickering we've gone through in the last few days. I'm sorry. I hope I can make the rest of the week better.
- I don't know how to apologize to you after all the outbursts, shouting, and screaming. All I ask of you is to forget the last few months and look at them as a small bump in our otherwise blissful life as husband and wife. I'm sorry.
- I accept that I caused the arguments we've had recently and I apologize for it. But can you imagine a life without arguments and fights? It would be a dull life, don't you think? So please accept my apology, and you can thank me later for bringing some colour into our married lives.
'I Am Sorry' Messages for Your Wife
- I want to make things better. At its best, our marriage is the greatest in the whole world, and I am willing to do what it takes to work through this rough patch. Please help me, honey, and forgive me for all of my irritating habits. I'm sorry, and I love you from the bottom of my heart.
- I think I've taken you for granted over the years. Now that we've been apart for a few weeks, I've realized how my life is incomplete without you. I've learned my lesson; please come back. I'm sorry!
- I shouldn't have gone to the races, especially after all that is going on. I'm sorry, and I promise not to be so inconsiderate ever again. Please forgive me.
- Today I've decided to stop blaming you for all our problems, because I've realized that I've not been taking enough responsibility. I'm sorry, and I want to put an end to all the fights and arguments.
- I know I've been far from a true gentleman. But today I'm taking the first step to being the man of your dreams by writing this apology. I'm sorry for not spending enough time with you. To begin to make it up, I've planned a romantic evening for the both of us.
- I am amazed at how you put up with my bad habits day after day. I promise to try to be a better person, and I hope that you forgive me for yesterday, a small hiccup in our otherwise beautiful and happy married life. I'm sorry, honey.
- I know there is nothing I can do to make up for my behavior over the last few weeks. So I got a gift for you. Hope you like it and will forgive me because I love you, and you know it's true!
- The world's most beautiful wife deserves the world's most tender apology. I'm more sorry than I have ever been. Forgive me darling.
- Unlike other husbands, I have never forgotten to wish you a happy birthday nor have I ever forgotten any of our anniversaries. So keep that in mind and please forgive me for lying to you about going to the game. I'm sorry, honey; I love you!
- Don't forgive me just because I'm saying sorry. Forgive me because I love you and don't want to waste a single moment of our time together fighting. Truly yours, now and forever.
Tips on How to Make Your Apology Special
- Write a short message on a card and put it somewhere your partner will see it in the morning.
- If you are married or are living with your partner, leave sticky notes on your partner's pillow, the bedroom desk, the fridge, the bathroom mirror, and any other place you can think of. Let your partner see your apology in every nook and corner of the house.
- Send your partner text messages, emails, and voice mails all day so he/she knows how sorry you really are.
- If you think that you need to make your apology extra special, say 'sorry' with a gift.
- Put an 'I am sorry' wallpaper on your partner's computer, cell phone, laptop, and any other device he or she uses daily.
- Something for the guys to cheer about—tender your hot apology in bed.
- Send him or her flowers or chocolates. Cliché, but it's a trick that has never gone out of vogue, and it still works.
- Ask all your friends to call your significant other and tell him or her how sorry you feel.
- Take your partner to a lookout point and apologize as you hold his or her hands.
- Surprise your partner by planning something to do together. Buy movie tickets, book a table at a nice restaurant, get tickets to a concert, plan a party or a shopping spree, etc.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.