3 Reasons He Should Call After Sex
Too often men make assumptions and excuses for what they assume women are thinking and feeling. Most women don't assume that by having sex with a guy he automatically turns from someone they are dating to their boyfriend (or is in the running for husband status). When a guy makes the assumption of what he thinks you want, it's because his ego is way too big. This article explores three reasons a man should call after sex and when (if ever) it's ok to not call after sex.
1. No Woman Wants to Feel Used or Like a Hooker
If a guy isn't interested in anything serious, then he should be upfront and honest about that before sleeping with you. Why date a woman for several weeks or months—getting her emotionally attached, then sleep with her—knowing you have no intention of calling because you are definitely not looking for anything more than a one-time hook-up or a casual fling? Why not just pay for a prostitute? Frankly, it would probably be cheaper and less emotionally messy.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an advocate for paying for sex. However, if a guy cannot be honest with his intentions, then maybe another avenue would be best for him. FYI—it is legal in parts of Nevada.
Sex is a two-way street. It takes two people to consent to sex, as well the desire to ultimately be together. For most women, this desire is built up after spending time with a guy. Increasing the amount of dates, laughs, commonalities and romance—the stronger our feelings develop—intensifies the want to sleep with the guy we are attracted to.
2. Not Calling Makes Him Seem Egotistical
When a guy doesn't respect you enough to give you the courtesy of calling/texting after sleeping with you, he's not only rude, but has an overly enlarged ego. For any man to assume what you want or expect without asking first, is frankly offensive! Maybe you also want to just have fun (especially if the sex is good). Maybe you want to date, but not have a commitment. Or, maybe you like the guy and don't have any expectations, but want to keep an open-mind (versus closed) for whatever could potentially happen.
Again, calling the next day or the day after sex does not make a woman automatically think that you are her boyfriend. But, it does make her think that you are a decent guy. Calling, especially if the sex was great, not only confirms that you also enjoyed yourself, it makes her feel valued and again respected. Not reaching out afterwards—makes you a dick.
Although it might be an easy out for a guy to claim that he didn't call after sex because you weren't "the one," there are usually many more reasons why you might not hear from a guy.
3. You Shared an Intimate Moment—The Proper Thing to Do Is Acknowledge That!
Ladies, if a guy decides to fall off the map—weeks, months, or possibly forever—after sex, then shame on him! He is definitely not the right guy and does not deserve your time, or emotional energy thinking about him. I get that some men will freaked out easily (needing to go into their man-cave to figure out what they are feeling and then come back when they are ready to handle the situation), but is that the type of guy you really want to be with?
Red flags can appear in all relationships; however, when they appear too soon that is never a good sign, especially once you have been physically intimate. Protect yourself emotionally and physically. Discuss what you are looking for before sleeping together—be very clear. And, always, always wear a condom—if he doesn't call, you have one less thing to worry about.
What Are Women's Expectations After Sex?
For most women, sex does not equate to long-term commitment or marriage unless:
- She directly tells you that she doesn't have sex until she's in a committed relationship.
- You both talk about waiting to have sex until you're both ready for a long-term commitment or marriage.
- You tell her that you are looking and wanting a serious relationship—thus the assumption that when you sleep with her, you are making the statement that she is the one you are ready to commit too.
- She's a virgin.
- Religious reasons—which usually involves no sex until after marriage.
When It's Ok Not to Call the Next Day (or Ever)
- After a consensual one night stand.
- She is a prostitute that you paid to have sex with.
- She asks you not to call her after sleeping together (rare, unless you were bad in bed).
- She is an escort that you paid to have sex with.
- You find out she's married (not cool).
Other than the reasons listed above, it is insulting to not call a woman after sleeping with her.
I can't tell you how many of my guy friends have said that the reason they did not call after sex was because they didn't want the woman they slept with to think that they wanted a serious commitment. They didn't see her as marriage material, so what was the point of calling? My reaction, "did she tell you she felt you were husband material?" Their answer, "no."
More Reasons Why He Doesn't Call After Sex
- Regrets he slept with you—he was drunk or felt like he took advantage of you.
- He's immature and inexperienced.
- He was embarrassed—didn't think he was any good in bed.
- He has a girlfriend/wife that he didn't tell you about.
- His hands became immobilized (no longer able to use them to dial your number)—right after sleeping with you.
- He was dating someone else at the same time that peaked his interest over you.
- He died (plane crash, car crash, freakish illness).
- He's younger and didn't know how to handle the situation.
- Let's face it...he wanted sex and once he got it, he was done.
- You weren't his cup of tea in the boudoir.
- He lost his phone right after he slept with you and had no way of retrieving your number (hmmm....iCloud)
- He had to enter a witness protection program immediately after his night with you.
- Plain and simple... He is an a-hole!
Yes, some of the reasons might sound ridiculous, but it's just as ridiculous for a guy not to call, especially if he is over the age of thirty. When two adults, who have been dating for awhile, decide to connect in a sexual way, then the man should at least be considerate enough to tell you if he is no longer interested. If the interest isn't there anymore, you are told so—preferably by a phone call. However, receiving a text or email is better than nothing.
Ladies, remember we also hold the power to our own fate; we don't always need to wait for a man to call us. If you have not heard from him, call him. If he does not pick-up or respond back (after a few days)—shame on him! Let's keep it real, no one likes to feel like a one night stand to a guy they have been dating. Unfortunately, no answer is sometimes an answer and dwelling on it will not change the outcome.
Bottom line, a man who has good intentions will call you after sex...Period!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.