CL Grant has authored many relationship books, including "30 Day No Contact Rule," "The Reality of Being the Other Woman," and "Ex Addict."
Love Messages for Your Partner
Sending your partner romantic love messages is probably one of the simplest things you can do to keep the spark alive in your relationship. Reminding that special someone of how much you love them and how much they mean to you can help underpin and strengthen your relationship. There is also no need to confine your expressions of love to special occasions. Surprise your spouse by sending them impromptu love notes, when they least expect it.
If you struggle to find the right words to express how you feel, below are a selection of romantic love quotes and sayings that are suitable for most occasions. Perhaps your partner is having a difficult time at work or experiencing health problems, and you want to cheer them up. Go ahead and let that special someone know that they mean the world to you. You can also personalize the messages to suit your circumstances.
Quotations About Love
Have you ever asked yourself, "What is love?" Is it a physical condition, or is it just your emotions running wild? Is it something you can consciously control?
Being in love is not easy to articulate in words. Love empowers you, and yet it also makes you feel vulnerable. In addition to excitement and passion, love bestows feelings of trust, respect, and security.
The following love quotations provide an overview of what love is and how it can make you feel.
- “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.” ~ Noah Calhoun
- "The art of love is largely the art of persistence." ~ Albert Ellis
- ““Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it." ~ Nicholas Sparks, A Walk to Remember
- “Love is when you meet someone who tells you something new about yourself.“
~ Andre Breton
- “Love is when the other person’s happiness is more important than your own.“ ~ H. Jackson Brown Jr
- “You don’t love someone because they’re perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they’re not.“ ~ Jodi Picoult
- "The best thing to hold onto in life is each other." ~ Audrey Hepburn
- “Love is a friendship set to music.” ~ Joseph Campbell
- "When love is not madness it is not love." ~ Pedro Calderón de la Barca
- "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves." ~ Victor Hugo
- "We are shaped and fashioned by what we love." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- "The giving of love is an education in itself." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- "Love does not dominate; it cultivates." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.” ~ James Baldwin
- "I think the perfection of love is that it's not perfect." ~ Taylor Swift
Quotes About Marriage
Marriage can be long and extremely challenging, but it is also rewarding. Uniting with the one person that you want to spend the rest of your life with is like a dream come true.
So, whether you're writing your marriage vows, giving a toast at a wedding or celebrating your wedding anniversary, you will find something suitable.
- "A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short." ~ André Maurois
- "The essence of marriage is companionship, and the woman you face across the coffee urn every morning for ninety-nine years must be both able to appreciate your jokes and to sympathize with your aspirations." ~ Elbert Hubbard
- "What greater thing is there for two human souls, than to feel that they are joined for life — to strengthen each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in all pain, to be one with each other in silent unspeakable memories at the moment of the last parting?" ~ George Eliot
- "There is no greater happiness for a man than approaching a door at the end of a day knowing someone on the other side of that door is waiting for the sound of his footsteps." ~ Ronald Reagan
- "My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me." ~ Winston Churchill
- "Marriage is the most natural state of man, and the state in which you will find solid happiness." ~ Benjamin Franklin
- "So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday." ~ Nicholas Sparks
- "Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads, which sew people together through the years." ~ Simone Signoret
- "Marriages are like fingerprints; each one is different and each one is beautiful." ~ Maggie Reyes
- "A great marriage is not when the 'perfect couple' comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences." ~ Dave Meurer
- "Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife." ~ Franz Schubert
- "There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship, communion, or company than a good marriage." ~ Martin Luther
- "Any good marriage is secret territory, a necessary white space on society’s map. What others don’t know about it is what makes it yours." ~ Stephen King
- "To get the full value of joy, you must have someone to divide it with." ~ Mark Twain
- "Marriage is the miracle that transforms a kiss from a pleasure into a duty." ~ Helen Rowland
- "Sensual pleasures have the fleeting brilliance of a comet; a happy marriage has the tranquility of a lovely sunset." ~ Ann Landers
- "A man in love is incomplete until he is married. Then he's finished." ~ Zsa Zsa Gabor
- "By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you will be happy. If you get a bad one, you will be a philosopher." ~ Socrates
- "I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They've experienced pain and bought jewelry." ~ Rita Rudner
- "Marrying a man is like buying something you've been admiring for a long time in a shop window. You may love it when you get it home, but it doesn't always go with everything else." ~ Jean Kerr
- "Being a good husband is like being a stand-up comic. You need 10 years before you can call yourself a beginner." ~ Jerry Seinfeld
- "There are only three things women need in life: food, water, and compliments." ~ Chris Rock
- "As a man in a relationship, you have a choice: You can be right or you can be happy." ~ Ralphie May
- "Marriage a bond between a person who never remembers anniversaries and another who never forgets them." ~ Ogden Nash
- "Marriage is like watching the color of leaves in the fall; ever changing and more stunningly beautiful with each passing day." ~ Fawn Weaver
- "If I get married, I want to be very married." ~ Audrey Hepburn
- "Marriage is a risk; I think it’s a great and glorious risk, as long as you embark on the adventure in the same spirit." ~ Cate Blanchette
- "The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they're right if you love to be with them all the time." ~ Julia Child
- "In marriage do thou be wise: prefer the person before money, virtue before beauty, the mind before the body, then thou hast a wife, a friend, a companion, a second self." ~ William Penn
- "Marriage is our last, best chance to grow up." ~ Joseph Barth
A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.
— Mignon McLaughlin
Falling in Love Quotes
Falling in love is exhilarating and yet daunting at the same time. While you may be feeling giddy with emotion, you are also left wondering if the feeling is mutual. Unrequited love can be extremely painful. It's akin to a relationship breakup, but without the relationship element. Even so, love is not an easy emotion to rein in.
The following quotations and sayings represent many different perspectives about falling in love.
- You know it's love when all you want is that person to be happy, even if you're not part of their happiness." ~ Julia Roberts
- "A guy knows he's in love when he loses interest in his car for a couple of days." ~ Tim Allen
- They say you only fall in love once, but that can't be true. Every time I look at you, I fall in love all over again.
- "The best love is the kind that awakens the soul; that makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. That's what I hope to give you forever." ~ Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
- "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." ~ Dr. Seuss
- "When we are in love we seem to ourselves quite different from what we were before." ~ Blaise Pascal
- "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies."~ Aristotle
- It's amazing how one day someone walks into your life, and then the next day you wonder how you lived without them.
- "There is no remedy for love but to love more." ~ Henry David Thoreau
- "First best is falling in love. Second best is being in love. Least best is falling out of love. But any of it is better than never having been in love." ~ Maya Angelou
- "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." ~ Lao Tzu
- "In life, you have to take the pace that love goes. You don't force it. You just don’t force love, you don't force falling in love, you don't force being in love – you just become. I don't know how to say that in English, but you just feel it." ~ Juan Pablo Galavis
- Nobody is perfect until you fall in love with them.
- The higher you build walls around your heart, the harder you fall when someone tears them down.
- "There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment." ~ Sarah Dessen, The Truth About Forever
To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
— David Viscott
Romantic Love Quotes for Him
While the man in your life may not always show his softer side, he needs reassurance about your love for him, in the same way, that you do. You can use the following romantic quotations to express your feelings and let him know how much you love him.
- "If I know what love is, it is because of you." ~ Herman Hesse
- "I want you. All of you. Your flaws. Your mistakes. Your imperfections. I want you, and only you." ~ John Legend
- "The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart." ~ Helen Keller
- "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." ~ Jane Austen, Pride And Prejudice
- "The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space." ~ Marilyn Monroe
- "Your love shines in my heart as the sun that shines upon the earth." ~ Eleanor Di Guillo
- "When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." ~ Harry Burns
- I look at you and see the rest of my life in front of my eyes.
- "If love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question?" ~ Lily Tomlin
- Everywhere I look I am reminded of your love. You are my world.
- Being in love with you makes every morning worth getting up for.
- "If the path be beautiful, let us not question where it leads." ~ Anatole France
- Together with you is my favorite place to be.
- For once in my life, I don’t have to try to be happy. When I’m with you, it just happens.
- I may not be your first date, kiss or love…but I want to be your last everything.
- Before you came into my life, I never knew what true love felt like.
- Are you a magician? Because whenever I look at you, everyone else disappears!
- Calling me cute is nice, calling me hot is great, but calling me yours is all I want.
- You stole my heart, but I’ll let you keep it.
- Forget the butterflies; I feel the whole zoo when I am with you.
If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.
— A. A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
Romantic Love Quotes for Her
It's not always easy to find the right romantic quote for the woman in your life. She may desire more romance in your relationship, while you may feel a little bit uncomfortable about it. If you are unsure about how to proceed, the following quotations should help give you some inspiration.
- "You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you." ~ Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice (Mr Darcy)
- "When I saw you, I was afraid to meet you. When I met you I was afraid to kiss you. When I kissed you, I was afraid to love you. Now that I love you, I am afraid to lose you." ~ Rene Yasenek
- "Thinking of you keeps me awake. Dreaming of you keeps me asleep. Being with you keeps me alive." ~ Inconnu
- "I love you, not only for what you are but for what I am when I am with you." ~ Roy Croft
- "I would rather spend one lifetime with you, than face all the ages of this world alone." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
- "I swear I couldn't love you more than I do right now, and yet I know I will tomorrow." ~ Leo Christopher
- "I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there's a life after that, I'll love you then." ~ Cassandra Clare
- "Ask me to define my love for you and I'll say it's captured in every beautiful memory of our past, detailed out in vivid visions of our dreams and future plans, but most of all it's right now, in the moment where everything I've ever wanted in my life is standing right in front of me." ~ Leo Christopher
- "You are, and always have been, my dream." ~ Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
- "Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot." ~ Groucho Marx
- "You are the finest, loveliest, tenderest, and most beautiful person I have ever known—and even that is an understatement." ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald
- "In your light, I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest where no one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that sight becomes this art." ~ Rumi
- "My heart is and always will be yours." ~ Jane Austen
- You can always feel safe in my arms I'll never let you go.
- "If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever". ~ Alfred Tennyson
- “I know that somehow, every step I took since the moment I could walk was a step towards finding you.” ~ Nicholas Sparks, Message in a Bottle
- The first thing I imagined when I saw the word 'love' is you.
- "If I had to dream up the perfect woman, she wouldn't even come close to you." ~ Boy Meets World
- I could start a fire with what I feel for you.
- I'd rather spend one moment holding you, than a lifetime knowing I never could.
Cute Love Quotes
Whether you are still in the lovey-dovey stage of your relationship, or simply share the same sense of humor, these cute love quotes will bring a smile to your face and melt your heart.
- "You can't blame gravity for falling in love." ~ Albert Einstein
- Once in a while, something amazing comes along...and here I am.
- I know I'm a handful, but that's why you've got two hands.
- Missing you comes in waves. Tonight I'm drowning.
- I looked into my wallet and it was empty. I looked through all my pockets and they were all empty too. Then I looked into my heart and found you. Only then did I realize how rich I was.
- Your legs must be tired because you have been running through my mind all night.
- I'm flying high, because your love gives me wings.
- "There is a place you can touch a woman that will drive her crazy. Her heart." ~ Melanie Griffith
- Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite.
- You're the cheese to my macaroni.
- I lost my teddy bear, can I sleep with you?
- When I asked you to listen to a song, it's because the lyrics mean everything I'm trying to say to you.
- I think you are suffering from a lack of vitamin ME.
- It's a good thing I brought my library card, because I'm totally checking you out.
- One day, I caught myself smiling for no reason, then I realized I was thinking of you.
Sad Love Quotes
Love is full of ups and downs. It doesn't always last forever and breakups, or the loss of a loved one, can be extremely painful. The following will help you to express and make sense of how you are feeling. There are also plenty of positive breakup quotes, that can help you achieve a better outlook on life.
- "I will wait for you till the day I can forget you, or till the day you realize you cannot forget me." ~ Herryicm
- "Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go." ~ Herman Hesse
- "It's amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces." ~ Ella Harper
- "You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to things you don't want to feel." ~ Johnny Depp
- "Sadness flies away on the wings of time." ~ Jean De La Fontaine
- "You can't buy love, but you can pay heavily for it." ~ Henny Youngman
- "Nothing is worse than when someone who's supposed to love you, just leaves." ~ Ava Dellaira
- "If you text 'I love you' to a person and the person writes back an emoji — no matter what that emoji is, they don't love you back." ~ Chelsea Peretti
- "We accept the love we think we deserve." ~ Stephen Chbosky
- "The good times of today, are the sad thoughts of tomorrow." ~ Bob Marley
- "This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something." ~ Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
- "Some days are just bad days, that's all. You have to experience sadness to know happiness, and I remind myself that not every day is going to be a good day, that's just the way it is!" ~ Dita Von Teese
- "It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
- The saddest thing about falling in love is that sooner or later something will go wrong.
- It is better to be alone, than to be with someone who makes you feel alone.
Love doesn’t make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.
— Franklin P. Jones
Short Love Quotations
If you're someone of few words, when you speak, you want to make it count. The quotes below should help you express your feelings succinctly.
- "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is to love and be loved in return." ~ Natalie Cole
- "Life is the flower for which love is the honey." ~ Victor Hugo
- "Love is a game that two can play and both win." ~ Eva Gabor
- "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love." ~ Mother Teresa
- "There are a hundred paths through the world that are easier than loving. But who wants easier?" ~ Mary Oliver
- "One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love." ~ Sophocles
- "Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit."
~ Peter Ustinov
- "We must understand that sadness is an ocean, and sometimes we drown, while other days we are forced to swim." ~ R.M. Drake
- "The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread." ~ Mother Teresa
- "We love the things we love for what they are." ~ Robert Frost
- "True love is eternal, infinite, and always like itself." ~ Honore de Balzac
- "Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings." ~ David Sedaris
- Love will find a way, indifference will find an excuse.
- "You call it madness, but I call it love." ~ Don Byas
- "A flower cannot blossom without sunshine, and man cannot live without love."
~ Max Muller
- "Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
- "Love isn't something you find. Love is something that finds you." ~ Loretta Young
- The best relationships are the ones you never saw coming.
- "Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life." ~ Leo Buscaglia
- "Love is the flower you've got to let grow." ~ John Lennon
Funny Quotes About Love
As the saying goes, "Couples who laugh together, stay together." So, whether you're just in a silly mood or having fun with the one you love, the following funny quotes should make you giggle.
- "I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life." ~ Rita Rudner
- "Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow internet, to see who they really are." ~ Will Ferrell
- "My best birth control now is just to leave the lights on." ~ Joan Rivers
- "All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." ~ Charles Schulz
- "I love you like a fat kid loves cake." ~ Scott Adams
- "Love is a lot like a backache, it doesn't show up on X-rays, but you know it's there." ~ George Burns
- "Marry a man your own age; as your beauty fades, so will his eyesight." ~ Phyllis Diller
- "I miss crawling into a man's arm, kissing his neck, saying those three little words into his ear, 'And another thing...' " ~ Felicia Michaels
- Love is like a tornado. It sweeps you off your feet and sometimes takes half of your house.
- "My wife was afraid of the dark... then she saw me naked and now she's afraid of the light." ~ Rodney Dangerfield
- Staying in love for more than 5 years is almost impossible. Staying in love with the same person for the rest of your life is a miracle.
- I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile...then walk into a pole.
- You know that tingly little feeling you get when you like someone? That is your common sense leaving your body.
- A woman's idea of a romantic setting is one that has a diamond in it.
- I love you with all my belly. I would say heart, but my belly is bigger.
- I want someone who will look at me in the same way I look at chocolate cake.
- They say that love is more important than money, but have you ever tried paying your bills with a hug?
- “Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
- “The best way to get most husbands to do something is to suggest that perhaps they’re too old to do it.” ~ Ann Bancroft
- "Obviously, if I was serious about having a relationship with someone long-term, the last people I would introduce him to would be my family." ~ Chelsea Handler
- "The bravest thing that men do is love women." ~ Mort Sahl
- "Love; A temporary insanity curable by marriage." ~ Ambrose Bierce
- Stick with the guy who ruins your lipstick, not your mascara.
- Treat me like a joke and I'll leave you like it's funny.
- Her idea of a romantic setting is one that has a diamond in it.
Some women choose to follow men, and some women choose to follow their dreams. If you're wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn't love you anymore.
— Lady Gaga
Inspirational Love Quotes
Relationships and marriage can be extremely challenging at times. If you ever feel like giving up, the following might inspire you to stay and work on your relationship.
- "Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope." ~ Maya Angelou
- "Don't brood. Get on with living and loving. You don't have forever." ~ Leo Buscaglia
- "Where there is love there is life." ~ Mahatma Ghandi
- "The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost." ~ Gilbert K. Chesterton
- "We are most alive when we're in love." ~ John Updike
- "Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place." ~ Zora Neale Hurston
- "Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses." ~ Lao Tzu
- "Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead." ~ Oscar Wilde
- "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." ~ Dr. Seuss
- "Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ~ Epicurus
- "Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~ H. Jackson Brown Jr
- Every person has to love at least one bad partner in their lives to be truly thankful for the right one.
- "Loving people live in a loving world. Hostile people live in a hostile world. Same world." ~ Wayne Dyer
- "I have decided to stick to love; hate is too great a burden to bear." ~ Martin Luther King Jr
- "Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says: 'I need you because I love you.'" ~ Erich Fromm
- "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." ~ Morrie Schwartz
- "Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world." ~ Lucille Ball
- "Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it." ~ Rumi
- "Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well." ~ Vincent van Gogh
- "It takes courage to love, but pain through love is the purifying fire which those who love generously know. We all know people who are so much afraid of pain that they shut themselves up like clams in a shell and, giving out nothing, receive nothing and therefore shrink until life is a mere living death." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us." ~ Alexander Graham Bell
- "Don't smother each other. No one can grow in the shade." ~ Leo Buscaglia
- "Never love anyone who treats you like you're ordinary." ~ Oscar Wilde
- We all have baggage. Find someone who loves you enough to help you unpack.
- "I love you. I am at rest with you. I have come home." ~ Dorothy L. Sayers
© 2019 C L Grant