How to Write the Perfect Love Letter
Are You in Love?
You need to make sure before writing a love letter for someone that you are truly and sincerely in love with the person it is intended for. No amount of words is going to make someone fall in love with you if they don't already have feelings towards you.
Below are a couple of questions you need to ask yourself before professing your undying love to someone.
- Does this person deserve your declaration of love?
- Has this person showed you they share the same feelings as you?
- Is this a genuinely good person?
- Are you really in love with this person's spiritual being or is the attraction purely physical?
- Are you really ready to take this step in your relationship?
Once you have finished asking yourself these questions and came to the conclusion that you are connected to this certain someone special, you can start to write your love letter.
What Kind of Person are You Writing for?
The first thing you need to figure out when writing your love letter is to figure out what kind of stuff the person you're writing for might find enticing. What is their forte? Different types of people, prefer different styles of writing, you need to figure out which one will work best for your sweetie.
Below are four different styles on how to write a love letter, based on what kind of person your love may be.
The Avid Sports Fan
If your sweetie has an obsession for fast-paced, sporty, physical activities, then you might want to throw those things into your love letter. I am not saying you should write a football game play by play or anything similar to that. But you could throw in some sporty sayings or athletic lingo into your love letter, no matter how cheeky you make it.
Your partner will find it both appealing and interesting if it involves things they enjoy. They will more than likely find your cheeky sense of humor you threw in very entertaining as well. Plus it shows them you pay attention to the things they care about and it will make them feel special.
A few examples of how to start a love letter for an avid sports fan would be:
- Dear (Lover's Name) You make my heart beat fast as a race car in one of those Winston Cup races you love to watch so much.
- Dear (Your Lover's name followed by their favorite Team Mascot) When I first met you, I knew I scored a Touchdown.
- Dear (Lover's Name) You are like a two point shot in a crowded room.
- Dear (Lover's Name) You put the F in Football, the B in ball, and the C in Cheer.
- Dear(Lover's Name) Would you be the stick to my hockey puck.
I know you are probably reading these thinking how corny, but the truth is if your sweetie is the right one for you, they will be so delighted by your effort to throw in their interests.
If your sweetie is the hopeless romantic type then the best route for you to take would be to base your love letter on something that is more formal and passionate. Think about writing a letter focused on where you two first you met or what attribute you love most about them. A romantic at heart will gush over letters of this sort. It will light a fire in their heart that will make you hard to resist.
Below are a few examples of how to write a romantic letter:
- Dear (Your Lover's Name) When I first laid eyes on you I knew my heart had met its true love.
- Dear (Your Lover's Name) Your eyes are like diamonds shining bright to help light up the night sky.
- Dear (Your Lover's Name) Our first date was the beginning of the rest of my life.
- Dear (Your Lover's Name) Roses are red, Violets are blue and I have never met anyone quite like you.
- Dear (Your Lover's Name) my heart has been yours since our first kiss.
All of these might sound somewhat sappy, but the romantic (Juliet or Romeo) in your life will fall in love all over again.
What is your type?
The Dark Lover
If your lover is more of the dark and mysterious type then they will require a much deeper and darker kind of love letter. Nothing brutal or horrid, just make sure to reach into the deeper depth's of your soul when writing for this type of moody love.
A few examples are:
- Dear Soul-Mate, My heart is dead without you, you are the blood it needs to keep beating without you I my soul would turn black and cold as ice.
- Dear Mysterious thief, When you stole my heart from me, I was complete, you have showed me the love I have within my soul.
- Dear (Your Lover's Name) You are my air, my salty tears, my circulating blood, my everything.
- Dear (Your Lover's Name) Let me be your dark enchantress for eternity.
- Dear (Your Lover's Name) Your love is like a dagger that has pierced my heart and rendered me lovesick.
Some of these may seem a little over the top but the dark love of your life, will become completely smitten by your efforts to woo them over. They may even bite you, just kidding but then again they really might.
This is the funniest type of lover to write for, you can go crazy with this type of love letter. Make it as funny as possible, throw humor and puns in like crazy. This type of lover loves super cheesy pick-up lines and will fall in love with someone who knows how to cut loose.
A few examples are:
- Dear (Your Lover's Name) Are you from Tennessee because you are the only ten I see.
- Dear (Your Lover's Name) You are the Billy in my Hill-Billy and I love it.
- Dear Butter Bean, You are like cutting wind in the dark, nobody knows who did it but it is still totally awesome.
- Dear (Your Lover's Name) will you be my forever sugar booger?
- Dear (Your Lover's Name) would you be my Weird Al and show me the meaning of that song "Like a Surgeon".
Anything funny and corny will do, funny partners. are the best, they have a sense of humor and are usually very flattered by sweet and sappy letters.
Love, Love, Love
The true key to writing the perfect love letter, is the heart of the person the letter is meant for. If they love you, then they will love no matter what you write for them. You could write a four page story professing your inner most dark secrets to them, or something as short as I love you jelly bean, and the outcome will still be the same. So write straight from your heart and tell them how you feel, be honest, loving, and compassionate and things will simply fall into place.
Sharing feelings with someone you love may be scary at first, but it is also one of the most personal and loving gifts you can give to someone. So just relax, breathe and let your heart do all the writing.