My name is Tatiana, but my friends and family call me Tutta. I love writing articles about what makes each of us unique and rare.
You ready for some 1920s style gangster nicknames? Hell yeah you are, otherwise you wouldn't be here!
Show 'em who's boss with a nickname that says, "You better do as I say, or else!"
Picking a Gangster Nickname
You would think the process of giving someone a nickname is easy, and it can be in those times that you are not trying to do it, but if you are set on figuring out nicknames for all of your friends, then there are a few things that you will need to know to help!
- Personality: No matter what kind of nickname is being assigned, it’s best that it is one that makes sense with the personality of the recipient of the nickname. The only exception to this unwritten rule is if you are purposely picking a name that contradicts the person in the name of humor, which is not a common thing for gangster nicknames.
- Toughness: Your name should beef up your personal appearance just by making you sound tougher! Example: Al Capone's second in command was a guy named Frank "The Enforcer" Nitti. I doubt he was much of a pushover!
- Specialty: If people have specific duties within their gangster group, then these should be used in order to help you give them nicknames!
- Group position: Are you the kingpin of the group or merely a pawn? The higher up in rank you are within your gang, the more you are expected to have an intimidating name.
- Name wordplay: Maybe your actual name is the perfect way to show you're a mobster meanie. For instance, infamous gangster and henchman Jack McGurn was nicknamed "Machine Gun", obviously for his specialty, but also for the similarity to his last name.
With that said, here's a list of our favorite 100 gangster, mobster, and mafia-style names to give you some inspiration!
Read More From Pairedlife
Guy Gangster Names
Ace of Spades
Books (as in bookie or accountant)
Digger (as in grave digger)
Rocks (as in "on the rocks")
Sharkie (as in loan shark)
Smuggie (a smuggler)
Wheels (a getaway driver)
For more awesome sounding nickname ideas, check out 120 Badass Nicknames for Guys and Girls!
Girl Gangster Names
Amaretto (a sweet Italian liqueur)
Los Angeles Lolita
Banker (as in bank robber)
Bonnie (as in Bonnie and Clyde)
Tammy Gun (as in Tommy Gun)
The Harlem Hatchett
Choosing a Gangster Nickname
Your members should probably know what you’re up to in all of this nickname research, so call a meeting with them and get their thoughts. Some of them might already have nicknames that they like and have had dormant for a while, while others might not want a nickname at all.
Take some mental notes on their strong points, their personalities, and the input of everyone else in the group. Coming up with the names together would make it seem like even more of a brotherhood and make the names more personal.
There really is no set of rules governing what you can call a gangster, and actually no set of rules that gangsters really follow outside of their group anyway. Names are totally up to you and the group!
While you’re at it all, order some bacon pizza. Gangsters like bacon pizza.