10 Annoying Habits That Irritate Others
The Word Annoy And It's Meaning
Looking up the word annoy in the dictionary this is what I found:
Now who wants to be guilty of all the above and lose friends? (Family has to put up with you but friends do not.)
Are You Guilty Of These Annoying Habits?
How do we know if we annoy a person? We don't set out to provoke others. Well, having said that, I personally know of a family member who deliberately and with full intent does. For the rest of us the tips listed below may be helpful:
- Don't interrupt. Allow the other person enough time to finish talking. Even when you feel the necessity to speak your point of view, hold your tongue until the other party is through talking.
- Try to be less negative. Look at that proverbial half glass of water as half full instead of half empty. Having a negative attitude is draining on the other person. It tends to "suck" the energy right out of a person.
- Be a good listener. Let the other person know you have heard what they have said.
(Other person) " I get so tired of screaming kids. I just go crazy."
(Your reply) " I hear you saying you would like some quiet time for yourself."
In this example, the listener avoids two important points:
1. Trying to fix the problem
2. Turning the conversation to himself.
- Not allowing the other person to win an argument. One sure way of annoying another person is to defend your opinion when you think it's right. Are we so insecure we just have to be right all the time?
- Use good old-fashioned manners. Remember "Thank you" and "Please." Such a small gesture but oh how powerful. And while I'm thinking about it add "excuse me" to the list.
- Don't make everything about you. This can really turn people off. Just listen instead. Avoid turning the conversation to yourself. The only time this is appropriate is when we're asked for advice.
- Try to address behaviors that bother you as soon as they happen. Avoid letting things fester. Be nice about it. If you can add humor, even better.
- Be genuine and be yourself. Then If people find you annoying, find other people.
- Refrain from talking about people behind their backs. This is a sure way to lose the trust of others. Gossiping also shows a lack of high character.
- Chewing food with the mouth open. This is one of the biggest bad habits that really turn others off. Learn to eat with your mouth closed.
I Annoyed My Son
I'm Guilty of Being An Annoying Mom
We're all guilty of getting on someone's nerves at one time or the other. We don't set out to be annoying but still it happens. I'm sure there have been times when I have been annoying to others. It isn't my intention to upset anyone, none the less I know at one time or another I have been guilty of this crime.
Like the time my son brought his new girlfriend over to have dinner with us. Wanting to score some points for Randy, I opened my big mouth and served a few compliments about his good looks, talents and all that good stuff. He immediately bore his eyes into mine with daggers aimed directly at me. I stopped talking - period.
My son was annoyed with me and I was just trying to help. But what I did was embarrass him. Of course I now see the error of my ways.
The first step to stop yourself from annoying your friends (or your own son as in my case), is recognition. We aren't mind readers and most of the time we aren't even aware that we are annoying another person. But when we learn that we have "crossed the line" it's time to file your mistake in the proper place and never repeat the offense again.
Two Sounds That Annoy Yours Truly
If your friends begin to avoid you (and it isn't your bad breath) you had better start changing your ways. Not completely - just your annoying ways. An example might be:
- Chewing gum - (my biggest pet peeve.) If you are a gum popper or cracker and can't control yourself then stop chewing gum when you're in public. Puhleeze! (Note: please is not misspelled. This spelling is my way of stressing my point.)
- If your nasal passages need clearing out and you're in a restaurant, have the common courtesy to blow your nose outside the restaurant or in the bathroom. Many a good meal has gone to waste because of this most disgusting sound.
Note: Forgiveness is implied for anyone's feelings that have been ruffled.
Six Leading Annoying Habits
Clearly there are habits that others have that are very annoying to someone else. Often times the transgressor has no idea that his actions are bringing a person to the boiling point. Here are six on the list of the worlds worst habits:
- Slurping food and other noises stemming from eating.
- Failing to turn of cell phones in a movie.
- Not picking up dog poop when walking the dog.
- Driving slow in the fast lane on the freeway.
- Texting at the dinner table.
What kinds of annoyances drive you up the wall?
6 Important Points To Consider To Stop Being An Annoying Person
The following 6 points will not only help you to stop being annoying to others but will open the door to more quality friendships:
1. Stay humble and teachable. No one likes bragging and arrogance. Check your ego by omitting the word "I" as much as possible especially when you should be listening to another person.
2. Watch your tone of voice. You don't want to come off as cranky or condescending. Keep your voice warm using medium tones. Avoid screeching and loud talking.
3. Avoid constant complaining. Everyone has problems of one kind or another. We benefit from friendships that lift us up not bring us down. Control your urge to complain. And put a lid on gossiping.
4. Be completely responsible for your actions. Stop blaming others for your behavior and circumstances. Be responsible and change your thinking as well as your attitude.
5. Exhibit Compassion and Sympathy. Show understanding and kindness. Learn to become a better listener to convey support.
6. You cannot change other people. Accept this fact in all relationships. They are what they are and you are what you are. If a person has a desire to change - they will without your help.
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
Enlightening with humor
A Quick Review and Pep Talk
To all of you who were confident and secure that this article couldn't apply to you but humored me anyhow, I am most grateful. You have read and reached the conclusion for which I Toast to you.
I suggest to all readers who earnestly have a desire to improve their relationships, to return and review the steps listed above. When you have given more to develop your character , you are able to give more to others.
It may be helpful to share your goal with a friend who will help you. No one achieves success alone. Even Columbus didn't discover the New World on his own. And Einstein didn't develop the theory of relativity in a vacuum.
Begin now. Dawson Trotman, author and founder of the Navigators has this to say about getting started. "The greatest time wasted is the time getting started."
Which of the following is the most annoying to you?
© 2013 Audrey Hunt