100 Funny and Clever Replies to Compliments
‘You smell good.’
‘You have a heart of gold.’
These are just some of the many compliments people tell one another on a daily basis. Some are said with good intentions. And some are spoken with all sorts of purpose in mind. Thus, a discerning eye is needed to properly skim through them all and see what is good and not.
Let’s not stray too far from the main topic here though!
This list is exists to give you some ideas on how to poke some fun and wit whenever you’re trying to respond to compliments. A simple ‘thank you’ is always welcome, but it just doesn’t cut it anymore in some other cases. Well, you’ve been graced by luck because this list is here to help you out!
You can use any of the replies found here, but only with prudence. Some may sound different depending on how you say them or what kind of context you’re in. Just remember: “Always be gracious and kind whenever you can!” You know you’re better than any compliment in the world.
How to Respond to a Compliment
No matter what you end up saying in response to someone giving you a compliment, there are some steps you have to follow so you don't make the situation weird or awkward.
- Be direct: Try to avoid any vocal fillers like uh or um, just say what you want to say clearly and directly.
- Make eye contact: Look directly at the person giving you the compliment and make eye contact when you speak to them.
- Be confident: Speak in a confident manner when responding to a compliment and make it seem as if you get compliments all of the time. Acting surprised or awkward will make the other person feel uncomfortable.
Clever Responses to Compliments
- Thanks, fan!
- You'll get there, eventually.
- How much do you want? (Woah, did you just assume that they’re complimenting you because they need some money? Maybe.)
- You know what? I like you.
- Thank you, so please vote for me in the next elections.
- Much obliged! (This is just another term for ‘thanks’ but with a classier sound to it.)
- Thanks, I woke up like this.
- Enjoy the meal! (Don’t push it too hard. They might actually gobble you up.)
- I love you!
- Oh, such discerning eyes!
- It’s actually the result of me not taking a bath for weeks. (I don’t know if anyone would actually get fooled by this.)
Humorous Replies to Compliments
- Shucks, my hair!
- You must be looking at a mirror.
- Is that the best you’ve got?
- I didn’t hear you. Can you please say that again?
- Look who’s talking.
- Just today? What about yesterday? (This is for people who say: “Hey, you look good today!” or something along the line.)
- Your *insert romantic partner or family member here* thought so too.
- Yeah, the genie finally granted my wish.
- So I have been told.
- Well, that makes two of us! (One of the best replies to use to make you look humble.)
- Thanks, would you like to borrow it for a second?
- Thanks, I sacrificed many lives for it.
- Thanks, but not for sale!
- I know. (Oozing with confidence, are you? Also, this answer always reminds me of Han Solo’s response to Princess Leia’s ‘I love you’ line in Starwars.)
- Thanks, but I prefer to be noticed for my intellectual capacity.
- Sorry, you must have mistaken me for someone else.
- Give me a pen and I’ll give you my autograph.
- Yeah, it’s my only redeeming quality.
- Yup, hashtag NO FILTER!
- To tell you the truth, in my past life, I was an ugly insect.
- Oh sorry, what? I was too busy thinking about how gorgeous I am. (Damn right, you narcissist!)
- I know, right?
- Not this again...take a number and wait in line. (This is pretty useful when you’re starting to get annoyed by the many people who are trying to flirt with you by unnecessarily complimenting you.)
- It’s tough being such a sex symbol.
- Mwahahahaha....the human sacrifices I offered have finally worked!
- Finally, I found someone who agrees with my mom/dad.
- Nah, I’m just rich. (Everything can be bought with money nowadays. Yup, including looks!)
- Will you marry me?
- This is the result of soaking in the blood of countless virgins.
- *Just wave and smile.* (You must be feeling like a real celebrity, huh?)
- Woah, that escalated quickly!
- It’s extremely rare for me to hear that.
- Flattery won’t get you anywhere, fella. Scram!
- What do you need? (Yup, sometimes people use compliments just to get what they want from you.)
- Not since the accident.
- What? Is the end of the world coming?
- Excuse me?! (Depending on how you say this reply, you might sound defensive and intimidating. It works well when you’re calling BS on whoever is trying to get your attention.)
- Awww...now I want to throw a rainbow at you.
- Oh stop it, you.
Funny Replies to Compliments
- Shut up baby, I know it.
- You have such good eyes for quality.
- It’s all natural and organic. (Hahaha, are you some kind of fresh vegetable or something?)
- Peace be with you!
- If I had a dollar for every compliment I’ve received so far, I’d be a billionaire.
- I can see that honesty is still the best policy.
- It’s my duty to spread beauty in the world. (Oh, you must be Adonis or Aphrodite then.)
- Compliment accepted.
- Are you hitting on me? (Take it easy, tiger. It is important to remember that not everyone who’s complimenting you is trying to have a romantic relationship with you.)
- It must be the meds kicking in.
- Thanks, wanna get a room? (Aha, straight to the point!)
- I love your honesty and sincerity.
- Stop it before I fall in love with you.
- Don’t tell anyone, but I used to be an ugly duckling.
- Well, hands off the merchandise!
- Lovely to look at, delightful to hold. But if you break it, consider it sold!
- Yeah, I’m getting tired of being mistaken for *insert name of good-looking celebrity here*.
- I’m glad I made your day brighter.
- Well, hanging around the right people really changes you.
- Yeah...I wanted to ask you out, but my friend said I'm now out of your league.
- It must be the tapeworm. (This is a perfect response for compliments that are targeting your sexy figure or lost of weight.)
- I get that a lot!
- I know. Wish I could say the same about you. (Woot, Buuurn!)
- Why? (Ah, this always catches people off-guard. Now they have to tell you the actual reason why they’re complimenting you, if there is any.)
- Hashtag BLESSED!
Witty Replies to Compliments
- I’m warning you, I’m too hot for you to handle.
- You mean great in bed? Thanks!
- You’re welcome. (The usual ‘thank you’ reply is overrated so use this instead.)
- Just lucky, I guess!
- I agree, 100%!
- Careful, you might get burned.
- Well, 11 out 10 people agree! (Ummm...your math is kind of off. But well, that’s the point!)
- No point in stating the obvious.
- I’m sorry, but you can’t afford it.
- Coming from you, that means a lot!
- Why are you drooling? Here’s a handkerchief.
- No takebacks, okay!
- Oh, the wonder of makeup! (Makeup is indeed wonderful. It can transform just about anyone!)
- Oh, I wish you’d experience it as well.
- I would like return the compliment, but I swore to tell the truth and nothing but the truth. (This line becomes more effective if you’re an actual lawyer, judge, or any person of the law.)
- As they say, you are what you eat! (Just what exactly do you eat? Beautiful humans? Unicorns and rainbows?)
- You have no idea what I traded with the devil for it.
- I’d tell you how, but you would have to pay me.
- True, I couldn’t agree more.
- Oh, really? I think I’m just ahead of you by one bath.
- After hearing what you just said, I realized that honest people still do exists!
- You’re not the first one to tell me that today.
- I’m being watched. Act normal.
- Are you a spy? Who sent you? (Acting all paranoid, huh?)
- Who told you to tell me that?
How to Respond to Compliments Online
Whether it is a compliment for a photo you took on Instagram or a status you posted on Facebook, online compliments tend to be shorter and quicker than real life. Due to this, your response should be quick and short, though you can include an emoji or two if you want.
- Saying thanks is enough: Just replying with a thank you is good enough for most online interactions, especially if you are getting lots of praise for a particular post.
- Use an emoji: Using an emoji is a great way to spice up a reply to a compliment. You can use an emoji if you decide to say something clever so people know that you're being witty.
- Keep it short: There is no need to write out some long response to a compliment, though you can personalize the compliment if you want. People have short attention spans these days so keeping the content of your reply short is a good idea.
What's your usual reaction to compliments?
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Cheeky Kid