Cheeky Kid is a cybernaut who spends a lot of time browsing the web, grasping infinite information, and reveling in entertainment and fun.
Best Ways to Talk to Strangers
Many people are taught not to talk to strangers at a very young age. But funnily enough, the ability to talk to strangers is one of the most useful skills any grown-up can have.
Most everyone has a lot they could say. There are just times that we feel overwhelmed, unprepared, or even at lost for words. The trick is to just do it. Go out there and ignite the conversation!
Whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do, when you want really something, you can almost always do it with a little bit of push and some preparation. This collection of conversation starters is a great resource.
How to Initiate Conversations With Strangers
- Start With a Greeting
- Compliment Them
- Talk About the Weather
- Ask for Favors
- Offer to Help
- Joke Around
- Share Knowledge
- Bring Up Shared Interests
- Ask Questions
- A blessed day to you.
- A pleasure to see you.
- Ahoy there.
- Good day.
- Great to see you.
- Greetings and salutations.
- Hey there!
- How are you?
- How fare thee well?
- Nice to meet you.
- What’s shaking?
- What’s up?
Compliments That Go a Long Way
- Are you a celebrity?
- Cool shoes!
- Cute human.
- Fancy hat.
- Fantastic smile!
- Handsome guy.
- Have you been working out? You look great.
- I like your shirt.
- I love your outfit.
- Looking good.
- My mom said I shouldn't talk to strangers, but you don't look scary.
- Nice sunglasses.
- Kind stranger.
- Positivity is radiating from you.
- Pretty lady.
- Where did you get that accessory? It looks so cool!
- Wow, you have a wonderful smile.
- You caught my attention so I just had to come talk to you.
- You have this friendly aura around you.
- You seem like a nice person.
Questions and Comments About the Weather
- Ah, the great outdoors!
- Ain’t this weather the best for uplifting your spirits?
- Beautiful day, isn’t it?
- Do you think the rain will stop pouring soon?
- It’s so hot today.
- It’s so nice out today, isn’t it?
- Lovely weather, don’t you think?
- My sweat is starting to sweat!
- Nice weather we’re having, huh?
- Sweater weather, right?
- The clouds are not in a good mood.
- The great sun is burning this afternoon.
- Ugh, why is it so hot today?
- Uh-oh, it looks like it’s gonna rain. Was it in the forecast?
- We couldn’t ask for a more pleasant day, could we?
- What a fine day!
- You think it’s gonna snow?
How to Ask or Offer Help
- Are you free? I need some support.
- Are you lost?
- Can I ask for directions?
- Can I ask a favor?
- Can you take a photo for me? Please.
- Do you need assistance?
- Excuse me, can you lend me a hand for a second?
- Hello, do you know where this *insert place here* is?
- How can I help you?
- I’m lost. May I ask what place I am right now?
- It’s raining hard. Here, we can share my umbrella.
- Need some help?
- Those look heavy. Let me give you a hand.
- What can I assist you with?
- Would you like some gum?
- You look like you need help. I’ll assist you.
- As much as I would like to tell you a joke about a pizza, I won’t because its too cheesy.
- Did you know that if you hold your ear to a stranger’s leg, you can actually hear them say “what the f*ck are you doing?”
- Do you know what is not right? Left.
- Do you know why it's difficult to explain jokes to kleptomaniacs? Because they always take things literally.
- Guess what? Chicken Butt.
- How to make holy water? Just boil the hell out of it.
- I wrote a book about reverse psychology just recently. Please, do not read it!
- I sneezed on a crowded bus of friendly strangers. I’m feeling so blessed right now.
- I was on my way to my optician when I bumped into you.
- If you're ever having trouble talking to strangers, I hear global warming is a great icebreaker.
- Knock knock. Who's there? To. To who? To whom.
- What do you call a cow with no legs? Ground beef.
- What do you call a fly without wings? A walk.
- What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don’t know, and I don’t care.
- What word starts with “p” and ends with “orn”? It’s popcorn.
- When the fish was released from prison, what did it say? Hooray, I’m off the hook!
- Which plant is the king of the garden? The dande-lion.
- Why can’t a bike stand on its own? It’s two tired.
Facts and Tidbits
- A light year isn’t a measure of time. It’s a measure of distance.
- Bananas are berries, but strawberries aren’t.
- Bug spray doesn't really repel mosquitoes. It just masks your smell from them.
- Cats can manipulate us with meows that sound like crying babies.
- Did you know that once you start clapping, you never stop until you die? There’s just a longer interval between claps.
- Every day, we take about 22,000 breaths.
- Every year, an unbelievably huge amount of trees is planted by squirrels who forgot where they hid their nuts.
- Fortune cookies aren't from China. They originated from California, USA.
- In Japan, napping on the job is considered honorable. Napping means you’ve been working really hard.
- Once you start clapping, you never stop until you die.There’s just a longer interval between claps.
- One thousand is the first number to have an “a” in it's spelling.
- Oxford University in England is older than the Aztec Empire.
- The gap between conversation responses typically lasts 200 milliseconds.
- The national animal of Scotland is the unicorn.
- The smell of fresh-cut grass is a signal of distress.
- The expression "huh?" is considered a universal expression for humans. Most people in the world understands its meaning.
- When you travel, your brain is often always on alert.
Keep the Conversation Going by Asking Questions and Bringing Up Shared Interests
Conversation Topics for Strangers
- News and Current Affairs
- Family and Friends
- Food and Drinks
- Travel and Leisure
- Interests and Activities
- Personality and Values
- Work and Study
News, Current Affairs, and Entertainment
Questions About News and Current Affairs
- Are you satisfied with how the government is governing this country?
- Can you believe what just happened?
- Did you hear about the stock that crashed down recently?
- Do you like to keep up with current news?
- Have you heard of the recent news about our city?
- Have you seen the headlines this morning?
- Heard about the latest buzz?
- How often do you watch the news?
- Looks like the outlook for the economy is good, huh?
- What do you think is going to happen now?
- What does it take to actually change the world?
- What has been going on?
- Which sections of the newspaper do you usually read?
Questions About Entertainment
- Are you following any sports?
- Do you party?
- Do you enjoy playing video games?
- Do you watch anime?
- Have you been reading books recently?
- Have you ever been to Disneyland?
- Have you ever tried slot machines at casinos?
- What musical plays have you seen?
- What movies have you seen lately?
- What shows have you watched more than once?
- Who is your favorite actor/actress?
- Who is your favorite singer?
Family, Friends, and Hometown
Questions About Family and Friends
- Do have any siblings?
- Do you have any children?
- Do you usually have any influence on family matters?
- Do your parents trust you?
- How big is your family?
- How long have you been married?
- How many children do you think is the most optimal for an average family?
- How old are your children?
- What do you and your family like to do together?
- What do you have in common with your family?
- What time do you have to be home? Do you have curfew?
- Which childhood memories of yours are you very fond of?
- Who are you named after?
- Your friends must really like you, am I right?
Questions About Hometown
- Are there any special occasions to look forward to in your hometown?
- Do you like it where you live?
- Does anyone famous come from your hometown?
- How often do you visit your hometown?
- Should I go visit your hometown?
- What are you really proud of about your hometown?
- What is it like living in your hometown?
- What is the rate of crime in your hometown?
- What is your most hated house chore?
- Where are you from?
Food, Drinks, Travel, and Leisure
Questions About Food and Drinks
- Any good restaurants around?
- Coffee or tea?
- Do you cook?
- Do you know a good drinking place around?
- Do you fancy brunch?
- Have you ever thought of food as your only friend?
- How do you like your steak in terms of doneness?
- How many times should one eat in a day?
- If I wanted to go for dessert, where should I go?
- That looks delicious! Where did you buy it?
- What is the weirdest food you have ever tasted?
- What is your go-to comfort food?
- What food do you consider your favorite?
- What food should I definitely try around here?
- Where can I find a good coffee shop around here?
- Where’s a good place to eat lunch?
Questions About Travel and Leisure
- Any good parks around to unwind?
- Are there theaters around where I can watch plays and musicals?
- Do you know where I can get a the best massage around here?
- Do you love traveling?
- Do you prefer beaches or mountains?
- Have you ever been in the wrong place at the wrong time?
- Have you ever traveled by yourself?
- If I wanted to just chill and relax, where should I go?
- What countries have you been to?
- What is your biggest experience of “culture shock” in another country?
- Where do you go for fun during the weekend?
- Where have you always wanted to go but never have?
- Which countries do you recommend going?
Interests and Activities
Questions About Interests and Activities
- Are you working on anything exciting lately?
- Are you a collector of something? What do you collect?
- Are you having a lot of fun doing your hobby?
- Do you play sports? Which one?
- Is there a random thing that you have plenty of knowledge about? What is it?
- How much of your time do your hobbies take?
- If you weren’t here, where would you be?
- If you weren’t busy working, what would you be most likely doing?
- What activity makes your heart jump in excitement?
- What do you do when you’re in the mood for fun?
- What hobbies are taking up your time?
- What is your go-to activity during free time?
- What other hobbies do you want to add in your hobby list if you can?
Personality, Values, Work, and Study
Questions About Personality and Values
- Are you a cat person or a dog person?
- Do you consider yourself an early bird or a night owl?
- Do you find it comfortable to talk with strangers?
- Do you find it easy to make new friends?
- How did you channel your creative energy?
- How do you start your day?
- How do you end your day?
- What are you currently doing to change the world?
- What are you thankful for today?
- What ignites your passion?
- What is something that you really like about yourself?
- What is your best trait?
- What is your life’s story?
- What made you smile today?
- What steps do you take to remain calm under pressure?
- What is the most memorable thing about your day today?
Questions About Work/Study
- Are you having fun in your line of work?
- Are you in for the long haul?
- Do you like your job?
- Do you prefer working indoors or outdoors?
- How long have you been working?
- If you had to pick another career, what would it be and why?
- Is your job worth it?
- What are your favorite subjects in school?
- What are your plans for the future?
- What do you do in your job?
- What do you study?
- What age do you plan to retire?
- What inspired you to choose your career?
- What motivates you to do your best?
- What skills and qualifications do you have?
- What is your dream job?
- What is your go-to productivity trick?
- Where do you see yourself in 3 years? 5 years? 10 years?
- Which school subjects do you hate the most?
- Why do you find your job interesting?