I'm a writer with a keen interest in relationships, social skills, and other aspects of human interaction.
Why Is Lying Bad?
All of us lie sometimes, but how many of us feel guilty or wonder whether we did the right thing? Overall, most people agree that lying is a bad thing, but then again, who even decided what lying is? A little white lie is supposed to be okay, but who can tell the difference?
Well, let's be honest. There's a difference between telling your girl/boyfriend that his/her favorite shirt looks fine and swearing that you never cheated on him/her. In a case like cheating, lying may seem like the only option; however, if you lie, that leaves something on your mind that he or she doesn't know, and that can really put a strain on your relationship.
Read More From Pairedlife
But outside of this one example, there are many other terrible consequences of lying, including the loss of friends, family, and respect from others. Let's take a look at the some of the reasons you shouldn't lie.
Top 10 Reasons to Avoid Lying
- It's immoral. The first reason one should choose not to lie is the obvious reason that it is immoral. Of course, if this doesn't mean much, then the next 9 reasons are for you.
- It's stressful. Second, it can be very stressful to come up with alternate stories. Who wants to add more stress to their life?
- It stunts your personal growth. By lying, you're avoiding facing the truth and you're not progressing or growing as a person.
- You might forget the lie. What happens if you forget what you had lied about? Then you're out of luck.
- It's disrespectful and selfish. Another reason is that by lying, you're showing disrespect to those around you. If you truly care about them, you must tell them the truth no matter how much it may hurt you. It's selfish to keep it from them.
- You have to cope with the lie alone. If you tell the truth, you will no longer be alone in coping, and even if you get into trouble for it, in the end you'll at least learn from the mistake.
- It's cowardly. It takes a lot of bravery to tell the truth, so why not brave up and try it? There's no shame in being courageous.
- It prevents people from knowing the true you. If you always tell the truth, then people will love you for who you truly are and not the person you've invented.
- It's embarrassing to get caught. Some of the most seriously embarrassing moments include being caught in a lie. Why risk being in this position?
- It can cost you everything. And finally, you could lose everything: your friends, your husband or wife, your family, and your job.
Lying Isn't Worth the Risk
Lying simply isn't worth the risk. So why not step up and tell the truth? It may hurt, but it's almost always better in the end.