You Can't Cut the Cord For Him- How to Live With a Mama's Boy
Know What You Are Getting Into
Dating a "Mama's Boy" can be a double edged sword. On one hand these guys make good significant others if you believe in the old adage that you can tell how a man will treat you by the way he treats his mother. These men are normally attentive and considerate and value women in general. On the other hand, you will probably tire of always being in second place to his Mother's needs and wishes.
Is dating a "Mama's Boy" worth it? Maybe. If you choose to pursue a relationship with a man who won't cut the umbilical cord, you must fully accept the fact that he is a "Mama's Boy" for the long term. It is true that blood is thicker than water and if this man is forced into making a decision, it isn't Mama who is going to be packing her bags. To fully accept the lifestyle of a "Mama's Boy" you must be psychologically comfortable with the fact that nothing you will ever do will be as good as the way his Mother does it, nothing you ever cook will be as good as how his Mother cooks it. Your dedication and skill in caring for your home will never measure up to his Mother's techniques. To survive a relationship with him, you must be prepared to spend all of your free time with his Mother and not complain about not doing the other things you would rather be doing.
If your "Mama's Boy's" mama really cares about her son, she will treat you with respect and respect the boundaries of your relationship with her son. She will appreciate your relationship with her son and consider your needs as well as her own. If she can't do that, then your relationship probably won't make it.
It is the role of your MAN to establish the boundaries with his mother. If he is unable to do this or to "whipped" to do this, it is best not to enter a relationship with this man. Nothing you can do will change the situation.
The Red Flags that He Is a Mamma's Boy
If you listen very carefully on those first few dates, you will soon learn if your date is a "Mama's Boy". There are some subtle and early red flags:
- If a man excuses himself during your first few dates "to call his mother", he is probably a Mama's boy.
- On your first or second date, he talks excessively about his mother. If you attempt to make plans with him, he says he has to call his mother first.
- If your man is contemplating a big decision or considering buying a large ticket item but says he can't act until he gets his mother's opinion, he is most likely a "Mama's boy."
- If your date cancels out on your date because his mother needs him to do something, run!
- If your date is very pushy and requesting you meet his mother too soon before you are even a couple, he is probably under pressure to get her approval of you before he gets too involved. Run!
- One obvious sign that your date has an unhealthy attachment to his mother is if his phone or computer screen reveals a picture of his mom or he and his mother together.
- For some reason or another, if his mother is in your day to day conversations, you probably have a problem.
- If his Mom is still doing his laundry for him, he is probably a "Mama's Boy."
- If your date stops at his mother's house daily to eat, or if she brings him his meals and cleans for him, he is a "Mama's Boy."
- If your beau calls his mother about every detail about your relationship, calls her after every disagreement you have, or shares intimate information about your dating details or relationship, this is a big indicator he is a "Mama's Boy."
- The most damaging sign that he is a "Mama's Boy" is if he takes her side on issues and does not defend YOU if need be. It does not matter if he is afraid of her or of hurting his Mama's feelings, you should always be his first priority. If your man isn't willing to put you first, the relationship will not make it.
Thank you for reading and feel free to share your horror story with a Mama's Boy or overbearing Mother in Law!