Andrea writes on various topics from dating, couples, astrology, weddings, interior design, and gardens. She studied film and writing.
Facebook Offers a Whole New World of Flirting
The film The Social Network proposed the idea that Facebook's big turning point was the invention of the "relationship status." We now, for the most part, don't have to worry about whether someone is in a relationship or not. Because of Facebook, it's much easier to tell if someone is taken. It's the gift of social networking.
Now that you know whether or not your crush is available, the real question is, "Do they like you back?" It may take some investigating and initiative on your part, but you should look for clues before jumping to conclusions too quickly.
And remember, if you keep your focus, then surely you'll find your soulmate. Or at least, someone so close to a soulmate that it doesn't matter whether the universe destined it or not.
Tracking someone on Facebook to see if they like you will take analyzing your interactions and examining his or her profile. If you don't have them on Facebook, then there won't be much to analyze, will there?
Quantity of Communication
The trick with figuring out whether someone likes you through Facebook is to look at how much the two of you communicate.
- Is there a lot of information going back and forth? You can check out the SEE FRIENDSHIP button to see how much interaction the two of you have.
- Does this person comment on your status often?
- Are they trying to make you laugh or smile?
Here are some ways to indicate or explore your interest:
- Try flirting with your interest by sending them messages, trying to make them laugh, and getting on the same wavelength in general.
- Figure out what you have in common and use it to your advantage, whether that's liking the same television shows, music, books, etc. You can scan through the interest pages to see where you match up.
- Send positive vibes, and you'll more than likely have a better shot then if you do nothing at all.
- Don't worry so much about the "friend zone." Sometimes this is just a place to be until graduating into something romantic. Lots of people don't want to date someone they just met.
Here are some tips on whether someone likes you, or has their eyes on someone else.
- If they make their profile picture a picture with you, that's a positive sign. If they do this more than once, it's definitely a hint.
- They'll comment on a picture of you and compliment your looks, especially your profile picture. If it's a guy and he's commenting on your boobs or butt, that's probably all he wants, but if he compliments your hair, he is looking for something more serious.
- They'll chat with you frequently on Facebook if they use Facebook chat.
- They'll comment on an OLD picture of you.
- They'll also be texting you!
- They'll tell you they miss you even if you haven't been gone too long.
- They'll ask you about other people you interact with on Facebook. This could mean they have a jealousy streak or that they're trying to figure you out.
- Preferably, you'll also be spending time with them outside of Facebook. You need to spend time with them in person as well to tell whether or not they have feelings for you.
- One of their siblings or mom may friend you out of curiosity as to who you are, or they may have been stalking you and accidentally hit the friend request button.
- They'll use emoticons or lots of exclamation marks in response to you. Note: guys generally don't use these nearly as much as girls do.
- They ask if you saw a post they put on Facebook to see if you are checking them out or keeping up to date with their life.
- Consider the time of day. If they are sending something to you that's nice, and it's after midnight, they have you on the brain.
- They'll "like" groups or events that you are involved with.
- They will like just about anything you post on their wall or will write a comment.
- They invite you to lots of events, either their own or other people's.
- They may deliberately make a status update about you. This could be something cute, funny, or romantic that you did.
- They might change their cover photo to something related to the both of you, whether a location frequented or a picture of the two of you.
- If they want to be serious, they may ask to be official with you on Facebook to seal the deal.
- They might post a photo album mostly featuring the two of you to all of Facebook land.
- If you've been talking off and on and are practically dating, but not officially, they may switch "single" to blank.
- If they talk about YOUR Facebook in-person, that means they frequent your timeline.
- If they comment on a conversation between you and someone else, and those comments try to lessen the awesomeness of that other person—well that's self-explanatory.
Note: Don't be alarmed if you don't see any of this. Some people don't care about Facebook and are barely on it. Look for other means of communication to see how they hold up.
Signs on Facebook That They Might Like You
- Sometimes if they like you and don't want you to know, they'll end up consistently being the last person to like your status. They could also, well, just be the last person to like your status.
- They'll post things on your Facebook wall. Videos are a common way of flirting, but it could also just be friendship.
- If you check on other friends' profile pages and their name doesn't appear on theirs but frequently does on yours, that's a sign.
- Does their Facebook usage seem high, and do they seem to be on everybody's profile? Then they might not be interested in you singularly, even if they're posting on your wall a lot. Look for other clues.
- How many photos do they have with you? Do any of them have comments or likes on them? That might be a hint.
- Someone who's crushing will leave comments on the profile of the person they like and like their profile picture, a funny video they posted, their status update, etc, so if there are a lot of comments and likes on your page from your crush, that's a good reason to raise an eyebrow or two.
- They may join in a conversation on someone's else's wall that includes your name.
- They will like your statuses or comment on them often.
- They'll invite you to their band's page or something of the sort, and you'll know you are in the first tier group because there are not that many people yet.
A Note on Messages
If they are using Facebook messages for non-school, non-work conversations, then they are trying to be more personal with you. Try to keep the conversation going.
Facebook messages are a private means of conversation, almost like texting, except it's more socially acceptable to write more. Whatever is in this communication isn't meant for everybody.
This can be a good place to plan a hangout if they are shy. This can also be dangerous because some creepers try to use this way of communicating.
Signs They Are Not Into You
- If they block or delete you, that is a bad sign. (Duh!)
- If they don't really respond to you or message you, they either don't know that you exist or that you're interested in them, OR they aren't interested in you.
- If the other person never writes back about something you sent them, that could be a hint they're not interested.
Tips for Stalking and Flirting
- Try to figure out what kind of stuff they like to see and send it to them accordingly. This will help keep the conversation alive.
- Find out who they talk to the most on Facebook. If you notice they are communicating often with someone else, don't jump to conclusions just yet. If they're just writing on their status updates, they may enjoy that person as a friend. If they are leaving links, pictures, and videos, they might like them.
- Check through old Facebook photos to find out who their exes are and see if they still communicate.
I hope this was helpful! Just remember that every case is unique, so go with your intuition. No one knows your situation as well as you do.
© 2014 Andrea Lawrence
BlueMonkey0518 on August 23, 2018:
I recently met someone a year ago and things went smoothly and i confessed but she rejected it because she was going through some difficulties with her past pseudo S.O. however she did keep me as a friend... i'm just not sure how to deal with my own feelings.. should i stop and flush it away? Right now she's been okay with her pseudo S.O. and is being friendly... she denotes that she just wants the friendship back, she says... she hasn't been very "friendly" towards my social media posts unlike before... but she knows i still like her... it would really be helpful if i could this out with someone who knows well with this topic... i hope you can help me out..
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on July 26, 2018:
Don't read too much into likes on Facebook. Do keep having a positive connection with this person.
Chu on July 24, 2018:
my crush like my facebook feeling post . This post is i write that ''he is more cute when he reply my text. I am so happy he tell me he go lunch and say bye''. Why he like my facebook feeling post?
aly on December 01, 2017:
its hard to tell if I should trust my guy friend, his name is Justin and iv known him for a year and a half. He's been calling me his baby girl but im sure every guy does that every now and then, how do I tell if his sudden quietness around me is because he likes me or if he's trying to play me
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on October 18, 2017:
You will definitely need more than a cover photo like to uncover this mystery.
Nicole Juan on October 16, 2017:
my crush recently 'Liked' my facebook cover page because it is a very beautiful scenery pic. Are things moving positively or simply because the pic looks nice?
BREEZ on September 13, 2017:
Met this guy on facebook and we been chatting he seems a good guy and says he likes me alot and i shouldn't give up and wait for his calls as his in prison at present and he wants me part of him and his life , we both from different countries and says he wants to get me there one way or the other to him how do i know if its for real or just talk ...
Portia on August 23, 2017:
I met this guy on Facebook and he said that he loves me,he said that meeting me was fate,becoming my friend was a choice,but falling in love with me was out of his control,so I want to know, does this guy love me... Because we were cut off after I asked him if this is what he says to women he meets on Facebook
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on July 31, 2017:
Go spend time with him, write down some questions before hand that you are comfortable asking to jump start conversation, don't over think things, think positive, smile, dress in something that looks nice but also feel comfortable and at ease in it. If you're sending long messages back and forth, my bet is that things should go smoothly.
QueenSongbird on July 30, 2017:
It's been good with my crush, we talk on messenger a lot, he sends me really long messages and tongue out emojis. He has invited me to a group date bowling after work, this is the first time that I'll speak to him a lot more in person. I'm nervous but I'm kinda friends with some of his friends so I guess it's good :)
I'm so nervous speaking to him face to face, I'm very shy and I freeze all over when I see him or speak to him. We both find it easy to talk to people on messenger, we like pretty much a lot of things and I really really like this guy. What do you think? Please I need advice :)
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on March 26, 2017:
This is going to be a mess and a dead end. Just be his friend. He has kids and girlfriend. If he broke up, he would still have feelings and complications for them.
anonymus from South Africa on March 25, 2017:
Hi, i have a guy friend i met mnths ago in a bus then we had an amazing conversation, though he never asked for my number. It happened on the 7th of May in 2015. Then 3 months later i moved to another Province to perfom a certain traditional ritual. I stayed there for a year then i came back in May 2016. The other day while i was waiting for a bus he came by and told me that he haven't seen me in a year, then i knew he missed me as much as i missed him. About 2 months ago i was waiting for a bus and he came by and stood next to me and i mean too close because his right arm touched my left arm and it kinda felt so damn good. The bus arrived and as we got inside, we sat next to each other and had an amazing conversation though he did not ask for my number for the 2nd time. As we talked in a bus he kept staring into my eyes and he lightly touched my arm and put his hand on mine. Believe me i really loved this gesture because i felt my "natural juices" flowing. When he looks into my eyes i feel love and i kno he feels the same way. Well guess what on the 3rd of this month i opened a Facebook account and as i was searching through his pics i accidentally sent a friend request to him but he did not accept until today. You see i did not put a profile pic so the guy does not know my name. He only knows that we went to High School together. He has a girlfriend and two kids so i saw the gf is on Facebook as well and they post their pics with their kids as a happy family. Yes i dont think i stand a chance because last week the guy posted on FB that they will never let anyone or anything come between them". I gave up immediately after reading this post but on Friday this guy posted "Its very hard to fall in love with someone who can never be yours". I dont kno what he means by this but whenever we chat he cant stop laughing and smilling and im always happy too. I can say we bring out the best in each other. So what must i do? Should i continue trying to attract him via Fb or when we see each other? I love him and i know he loves me too. So, what should i do? Please help
someone on February 10, 2017:
well girls most of these are wrong. us guys never want to make it so obvious.
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on January 16, 2017:
Why did you make fun of his profile? I wouldn't recommend doing that. Have you two talked to each other ever since? How long ago was this? He may have just found the image entertaining. He may have thought you were going to tell him something completely different and really confused him. You should try talking to him again, say you're sorry if you offended him.
Anonymous on January 15, 2017:
So there's this guy I really like, and we haven't been friends to long, but we generally talk a few hours a day. Hes SUPER shy with girls, but we video chatted about practical stuff and he's gotten more used too it. He said he's never done that with any girl before, not even his fiance. His family arranged for him to marry some girl he doesn't even know (in who knows when), and he's bearily spoke with her either. He liked that I'll tell him exactly what I think (but in a kind way), and how I'm there for him and try to give him good advice. His dad had a heart attack and almost died in the hospital, and is now recovering and I helped him through that. There was an fb fluke where he thought I had blocked him, and he deleted his entire messenger app and had to reinstall it when I explained to him that it was a glitch. He loves his family, but because of a chilliness between them he almost moved to an apartment like space in the top of his house, and was going to even use the out side stairs but I convinced him not to, bringing him closer to his family. At the same time, he isn't under their control/to much influence, so I think even if they didn't like him dating a girl (especially a western Muslim). His mom is a teacher, and i forget what his dad does so I get the opinion their cool. He introduced me to his younger sister a few days ago, and she's super shy too, but he translated that she liked how I noticed her hair and complemented it, so I'm already on my way into Kashefs favor. When his dad almost died, I sent him a bunch of Obama/joe biden memes, and furry animals because that always helps to distract/comfort me when things go wrong, and I thought that might help him (cuz he was really a big mess), and he let me know how much he appreciated that. Afterwords, he asked if he could nickname me furry(because of my love for furry animals). I said yes, after cracking a joke about my no shave october-november-december Janurary. Today he switches his profile to this animae fox thing with washboard abs, which supises me because he's super handsome (when he trims his freaking beard back) and has no need of a fake profile pic. I think he may have done that i=because of my love of furryness. Also, when looking through the annals of his facebook history, I saw no record of manga mania, and as someone on the more conservative side, I cant believe its shirtless and pants unzipped although nothing more is showing. Im pretty sure all of these are extremly strong indicators that he likes me, but I still wanted to ask. Also, when he asked me to rate different pictures 1-10, and i rated his picture where he was just a little bit grizzeld with a small mustache and little gotee thing, he shaved his beard off like that the next day. I was telling him about different stuff that happened, and i was like:Hey I have to tell you something". I was busy doing other things, waiting for the ding that signaled his reply, but I think he freaked out and maybe thought I was gonna say that I liked him, and didn't know how to handle it. Oh yeah should have mentioned it before but he's a Pashtun. Anyways, I was waiting for like an hour, and then realized he saw what i said and didnt reply. He ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS replies when ever he sees something. I just dropped the bomb and hopes he reads it soon.
Heres what I said: "ok im going to sleep if your busy
ill just have to tell you tommarow
ill just tell you now
Your a really nice person
and your also good looking enough where you dont need a fake profile
You are free to post what ever you like on your page, and i dont want to encroach on your personal territory
but in all honesty, I dont want to insult your animae foxes but they look REALLY stupid
I hope that doesn't make you feel bad, but they look really super silly, and someone deperatly needed to tell you that
now you have a free pass to say what ever you want about my profile
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on December 13, 2016:
Talk to him in person. This is super early in the getting to know you phase. Don't just ignore him anymore. Or write something on a piece of paper and hand it to him. That will catch his interest -- something simple will do. Even just the word "hello." Start talking in person and see where it goes.
lindsay on December 11, 2016:
Well there is this guy i like he is my senior and we usually keep in touch with each other through facebook.. we dont talk when we pass by because i get nervous and i ignore him but my friend says he turns and looks at me when i am near him and even when we chat he replies to almost every text of mine... i once met him accidentally and he was on the phone yet he said hi to me... but there is a catch he doesnt know i like him and on top of that news are there that he likes someone else... is there any chance of him to like me??? Or is he just being friendly because we have encountered each other once before knowing each other
Anthony Dick on September 05, 2016:
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on August 22, 2016:
He's your ex. He has moved on.
jham on August 22, 2016:
my ex boyfriend upload and chane his cover photo right now , a photo of three girls and I was getting curious why he do it like that? What does it means?