Second Date: Tips for Men and Women
Good advice for guys and girls going on a second date: follow up on your first date. Fun second dates are all about giving a slight glimpse into your real personality, character, past relationships, likes and dislikes. From clothes to conversations to flirting and kissing, this post keeps it real while discussing ideas to make your second date exciting. By the end of the date, you will be able to get a clear idea about his or her true self.
1. Greet your date with a hug and a peck on the cheek
The best way to start a second date is with a smile, a warm hug and a cute little peck on the cheek. Give a nice and long hug using both your arms.
This will instantly break the ice and help you both feel more comfortable on a personal level.
2. Do something completely different than on your first date
Don't repeat what you did on your first date. Doing something different will give you a new environment and a fresh perspective.
Try something new, so that you won't be stuck in a loop and run out of things to talk about.
A second date doesn't need to be as formal as your first one. It can be something as simple as a quick bite at your local Subway, or a good old movie date.
3. Dress slightly more casually than on your first date
You may have pulled out your best-looking clothes and dresses for your first date to make a sexy first impression. But you don't need to go that far on your second date. Here are some tips.
- Wear a nice shirt or t-shirt
- Pair it with jeans or khakis
- Casual pair of shoes like Converse are fine
- Jackets are optional, not ideally necessary
- Body -hugging t-shirt, skinny jeans and heels are a good look
- Casual flirty summery dress paired with slipper thongs are always a safe bet
- Don't go too heavy on the makeup
- Look as natural as possible
4. Give Your Date a Glimpse of Your True Colors: Reveal (Slightly) Your True Self
On a first date, a person's true character is behind a facade built to impress someone. A second date is the first real chance to understand a woman or a man behind the facade that was put up earlier.
On a second date, a couple can slowly start showing their true colors to each other. This includes a glimpse of their habits and original personality.
5. Remember the talks you had on your first date: Prove that you are a listener
You will make a great impression on your second date if you show that you actually listened and remembered the stuff that you talked about on your first date. This is your chance to prove that you were genuinely interested in the guy or the girl.
For example, if your date told you something about her brother's new job, follow it up with a question on your second date—So how is your brother's new job going along? Even something as simple as this will make a lasting and genuine impression on your date.
6. Allow conversation to get slightly more personal on the second date
First date talks generally revolve around ice-breaking conversations which may have just skimmed the surface of your date's personality. Allow your second-date conversations to get a bit more personal.
Ask each other questions about your life journeys, past relationships and future goals. Get to know the person beneath the skin. You may even follow up on stuff that your date told you on your first meeting, for example:
On our first date you told me that you don't get along well with your family. What happened, if you don't mind me asking?
7. Don't start talking details about your exes yet
Second-date conversation is slightly tricky when it comes to talking about past relationship and exes. It may seem like a good time to vaguely touch the topic to let your date know about your relationship history. But details are best not revealed.
For example, it is one thing to tell your date that you broke up with your ex, but it may be a rude if you tell him that you dumped your ex because you couldn't make him come out of his shell. Save such details for later.
8. Increase your flirting quotient on the second date
Flirting on the first date is usually subtle and indirect. After all, no one wants to sound desperate during the very first meeting. The second date is when you can slowly loosen yourself up and amp up your flirting quotient.
Don't shy away from giving compliments to your date. You may have been reserved about giving direct compliments about your date's looks earlier, but now is the time to make your attraction known. Here are some examples.
- I didn't say this last time because I was afraid of sounding awkward, but gee you have a great body!
- Most guys out there would die to get a chiseled body like yours, impressive I must say!
9. Get touchy-feely on your second date
Getting touchy-feely on the first date is a sign of desperation. But on the second date, it is a sign of attraction. If you find yourself attracted to your date, test the girl's or guy's body language for signs of attraction too. Here are some tips.
- Place your hand over your date's when you share a laugh
- Put your hand on the back of your date's shoulder
- Men can guide their dates by placing their open palms on their date's lower back
- Women can place their palms on a man's thigh while having an animated conversation
10. Depending on your connection, finish the second date with a kiss
If you see something substantial in your date and you want to take your connection further, a cute goodbye kiss may be on the cards. Be one hundred percent sure about your intentions before you lean in, or give signs to your date to lean in, for your first kiss.
The first kiss is also a good test of how your date feels about the near-term future of your relationship. Negative vibes, backing away or a complete lack of interest may be signs that your date isn't as interested as you are.
11. Don't think about sex yet: Second date is too early
Sex on the second date is not a good idea. It is too early to take things to the next level. Give your connection more time to mature before you decide to have sex for the first time with your new partner.
Getting intimate with your date so early on will create false expectations and subsequent disappointment if you are looking at your connection from a genuine perspective.
12. Send a courtesy text message to him or her after your second date
Flirting via text message after your second date is a must. It gives a strong signal to your date that you have developed an attraction towards him or her. Here are some examples that you can send after your second date.
- Our first date was fantastic but this one was even better, thanks for showing me a good time
- I had so much fun, is it too early for me to start making plans for our third date?
- You are the coolest guy I've ever met and I'm so glad we started dating
13. Increase your interaction on Facebook, Twitter and other social networks after your second date
Give your second date a proper closure by increasing your interaction with the guy or girl on online social networks. It will be a clear sign that you are happy with how things are going.
Post something random on your date's Facebook, retweet your date's tweet, and tag your date in some of your fun posts on other networks. All these things will help you build a good foundation for your third date.
More by this Author
Are you out of ideas for fun things to do with your girlfriend? Look beyond the typical dinner dates and movie outings, and think outside of the box to surprise your girl and make her smile.
This post discusses ideas for flirty messages and how you can keep your SMS chat conversations alive.
Is it a sign that my ex still loves me if he keeps calling me? Find answers to this question and more. This post discusses some of the telltale signs that your ex is still not over you.