How to set your friends up on a date? There are different ways in which you can play matchmaker to set up a guy and a girl. But before you do anything, there are a few things you must know including how to get them to meet each other casually, how to play cupid and how to let cute conversations turn into romantic dates.
Find out how you can successfully see two of your best friends fall in love after crushing on each other.
1) Give your friends a background if they haven't met before
It is a good idea to share some background if your friends haven't met each other before. Casually mention to both your friends about your other friend – the guy or girl they will be meeting soon.
Talk about how you know that friend and what he or she does. Keep the background brief and casual. Don't go into details and don't elaborate.
2) Ask both friends why they are still single
Randomly ask both your friends why they are still single. Encourage them to hook up with someone by talking about the benefits of being in a relationship.
Such a conversation will get both your friends thinking about getting back in the dating game. This will lay the foundation for the things you do later to set them both up.
3) Introduce your friends to each other when you casually hang out
Before you try to create a romantic angle to the situation, it is a good idea to bring the two friends together when you hang out. Introduce the two of them casually. Here are some fun things you all can do while you play matchmaker.
- Go shopping together
- Watch a movie
- Go out together to the Friday night game
- Go to a music concert
The idea is to do something fun without your friends having the slightest of hints that you are trying to set them up. This way, they can be themselves without being pinned down by nervousness or social anxiety.
4) Excuse yourself while when you are with them so they can spend some time alone
Excuse yourself when you are all hanging out so that your friends can have a conversation all by themselves. This will warm things up a little and they both will get to know each other better.
Don't be away for too long because that may lead to awkward moments between your friends. If one of your friends is shy, this awkwardness can easily turn into uneasiness and nervousness.
5) Say nice things about one friend to another and vice versa
After both your friends have met each other, it is time for you to take the game a notch up. Later when you have conversations with both of them on the phone, say nice things about one of them to the other and vice versa. For example.
- He is such a nice guy, out of all my friends he is the only one who stood by me and cheered me up after my breakup
- She is really focused in life and she always seems to know what she wants whether it is her studies, work or something else
Notice how each of your friends react and try to take hints from their responses. Use insights from these conversations as a base to further your matchmaking plot.
6) Point out common interests to both friends
While you try to butter up images of both your friends, make sure you point out common interests. For example, if the guy is really into music, tell him that the girl is a music buff too.
Be careful as you give your friends an insight into each others' personalities. Keep your sentences short so that you don't sound obsessed and unnatural.
7) Gossip: Ask suggestive questions to both friends about the other
There is one last thing you must do before finally setting your friends up on a proper date. Before you take the plunge, you should have a fair idea of whether both of them have the slightest appreciation, attraction or a crush on each other.
Rather than asking open ended questions, ask questions which are suggestive. For example
- He is quite handsome, isn't he?
- She is really pretty, isn't she?
- He is such a nice guy and he is such a gentleman, did you notice?
- She looked hot the other day in that little black dress, don't you think?
8) Judge the situation before taking the decision to set them up
The answers given by your friends should help you gauge whether you should actually go ahead and set them up. If either one of them has any aversion to the other, it will be quite apparent when you ask the suggestive questions.
Think about how they have interacted with each other since they casually met for the first time. Think about their personalities, their backgrounds and their near term future plans before you finally spill the beans on your matchmaking agenda.
9) Setting them up yourself: Convince your friends to go on a date
Once you are sure that you want to go ahead and set your friends up on a date, there are a couple of ways in which you can do it. The first way is pretty direct and obvious. Here's how.
- You talk to both of them about your matchmaking plans
- Tell them why you think that they will make a nice couple
- Remind them that there is no risk of spoiling relations – they can continue being your friend regardless the outcome
Your friends may be reluctant in the beginning, especially if one of them is a shy girl or a guy. Put their worries to rest by saying that you will manage everything including the location and time of the date. All they have to do is dress their best and turn up to impress.
10) Playing sly: Set them up on a date-by-accident
If you think that you want to let cupid and destiny take over after your initial efforts, set your friends up on an accidental date. Plan something which is not as simple as hanging out together at a cafe, but something that makes them spend at least a few hours together.
A movie night is an awesome idea. Here's how you should do this.
- Buy tickets to a movie for all three of you
- Back out at the last minute at the pretext of falling sick or having to go to an urgent meeting
- Persuade them both go despite the fact that you won't be able to make it
- Cross your fingers and hope that they will both hit it off
- Call both of them individually the next day and ask how it went
11) Set them up by convincing the guy to ask the girl out
Another way in which you can set your friends up is by taking the slightly more traditional route. Talk to the guy and sweetly ask him if he has a crush on the girl and wants to go out with her. Assuming he says yes, encourage him to ask her out.
Now sit back and watch the love unfurl as your guy friend asks one of your besties out on a romantic date.
12) Timing is critical: Don't try to set them up too quickly, don't wait too long either
Trying to set up your friends in a hurry without judging their compatibility can be a disaster if it doesn't work out. They won't be comfortable hanging out with you together and if you force them, it will be a very awkward situation.
On the other hand, waiting for too long could send either of them in the friend zone. One of them may start liking the other but as time passes by, it will be too late and even the slightest hints of attraction will fizzle out in the casual bonding of friendship.
13) Finishing touches: Tell both of them how cute a couple they make
Once you successfully set them up on a date, compliment them when you see both of them together the next time. Playfully tease them and tell both of them how cute a couple they make.
Your compliments will make them feel nice about themselves as a couple, helping them move quickly past the dating phase and into that of a lovely relationship.
none of your business on March 07, 2020:
i will try this with my single desperate besti cuz shes dying and i hope that would work cuz i really need to find her someone as soon as possible before she drops out of uni and starts doing drugs and drinks then become a lesbian . pray for me its a serious situation
shia on October 02, 2019:
she really wants a boyfriend that has blue eyes with long blond hair
and that is not rude about what color she is i want her to have a nice
guy that wont cheat on her or fall for another girl and to not be guy \
and dont tell pls i want to be her friend
Chitrangada Sharan from New Delhi, India on September 24, 2013:
Nice and interesting suggestions!
How wonderful to unite two people romantically!
Well done and interesting hub! Voted up!