I am a romantic who likes helping others find the love of their life.
Eye contact can be an expressive and subconscious form of body language. It can possibly indicate how a guy feels about you, whether he averts your gaze or tries to lock on to it. While you can't read a guy's feeling with absolute certainty, you may be able to get an idea with how he looks at your eyes.
What Does It Mean When a Guy Looks Into Your Eyes?
How a man looks into your eyes can possibly indicate how he thinks about you. Here are some explanations of what different looks mean.
- Fleeting glance: This is basically when eyes wander around and eye contact is made on coincidence. Eye contact will be made for a split second before breaking. There likely isn't anything behind this, so don't think too much about it.
- Intentional glance: If a guy is interested in you, he will definitely be laying his eyes on you. Eye contact will occasionally be made and he will break away out of shyness. Their body language can tell you if they are giving you more than a fleeting glance. You may be able to catch a small smile as the sight of you brings him joy. How they break eye contact can be telling as well. They are likely attracted to you if they intentionally break your gaze downward. A sideways gaze aversion is more likely an unintentional gaze.
- Long glance: This can be tricky to notice since it is so subtle. An intentional glance can last for a second while a long glance can last slightly longer, usually two seconds. A guy will break eye contact, but he will look longer because he finds you appealing. He definitely has an interest in you if he gives you this look.
- Glancing twice: This can be a strong sign that a guy likes you. If eye contact was made and they feel they were received well, they will glance at you again.
- The gaze: This is when a guy keeps his eyes continuously on your eyes for at least five seconds. This is a pretty clear sign of attraction. He likely trying to send you some signals. It will be especially blatant if he is smiling.
What Does It Mean When a Guy Can't Look You In the Eye?
Eye contact can uncomfortable for most guys. You may notice that guy will look away when you hold their gaze. I can almost seem like they are sorry for noticing you. This usually stems from insecurity or the fear of exposing themselves to others. If eyes are the windows to the soul, then a guy may not feel comfortable that you are looking in. Here are some potential reasons why a man may try to avert your gaze.
- They don't want to look flirty. A guy may think that looking into your eyes can be read by as him flirting. This can go either way in regards to him being attracted to you. If he is into you, he doesn't want you to know. If he isn't, he is probably trying to avoid giving any signals that can be misinterpreted.
- Anxiety. Anybody with social anxiety will have trouble making eye contact. Making eye contact increases the sense of vulnerability. If a guy with social anxiety avoids your gaze, it doesn't necessarily mean they like you. They may simply be nervous. It's a good idea to check if they struggle making eye contact with other people.
- They like you. Men really like to hide their feelings. Looking away from your eyes may mean they like you a lot. They are probably afraid of revealing their feelings to you. If you can get a glance at their eyes, try to look at their pupils. they typically grow bigger when they are around someone they are attracted to.
- They aren't interested. On the flip side, they may not find you particularly interesting at the moment. Their eyes may look away to find something more interesting. This doesn't mean they find you boring. They may just not be interested in the topic, or they may have their mind occupied on something else. Use the pupil test to get a possible read on them.
Eye Movement and Body Language to Look Out for in a Guy
There are certain cues you can read in a guys eyes or body that can tell you if he has an interest in you.
- Looking up while their head is down. Looking up while their head is lowered can make people look coy. Eye contact can mean attraction is there while a lowered head is generally a sign of submission. They may a bit intimidated by you; this likely stems from shyness and not wanting you to know how they feel. Looking down and away can also be a sign of submission.
- Dilated pupils. The widening of the pupils can be a sign he likes you. Pupils grow in size when someone is excited about something. This is a small clue to notice, but it may mean they are excited to be around you.
- Raised eyebrows: This is a pretty good sign that a man is interested in something. If he raises his eyebrows at the sight of you, he may have strong feelings towards you.
- Winking: This definitely a very telling signal of attraction. It can be a mildly suggestive greeting to you. On the flip side, it may just be a simple sign of mutual understanding, especially if others are not privy to the knowledge between the two of you.
- Leaning forward when speaking. If you manage to talk to the guy, try taking note if he leans forward. If he does, it means he is interested in what you have to say and probably very interested in you. However, keep your surroundings in mind. Leaning forward may mean he is just trying to hear you if you're in a noisy setting.
- They stand close: A potential sign of interest is if a guy slightly invades your personal space by standing close to you. You can give him a little test by inching a little closer to you. If he holds his position, he is receptive to you. If he moves closer, he is almost certainly into you.
How to Tell a Guy Looking at You That You're Interested
You might be lucky enough to catch the guy you like staring at you, or find the stranger gazing at you to be kind of cute. But how can you reciprocate any potential feelings? Here are some things you can do without being direct.
- Winking. This can be a welcoming gesture to a guy. It conveys interest as well as confidence. You may make them blush if they are shy.
- Playing with your hair. Maintaining eye contact why twirling your hair can drive a man wild. It tells him you're into him and that he better make a move.
- Blinking and fluttering lashes. You might unknowingly start blinking faster if you like a guy. You can send a clear and intentional message if you flutter your lashes. It can be a cute way of telling him that he has your attention.
- Bite your lip. Biting your lip can easily tell a man you are excited to be around him.
Zee on May 26, 2020:
Well he was talking to the same person i was talking to, he greeted me then as he was talking he looked into my eyes then looked away so ....I don't know
Emy on May 09, 2020:
I keep liking at him and every time he looks at me and we break eyexontact
VHnfghf on February 13, 2020:
He asked me a question and we looked eachother in the eye for like 3 seconds before i answered him.
pphhphhphh on January 16, 2020:
he stared at me while i wasnt looking and when i looked he laughed and tried to break eyecontact
katie on December 29, 2019:
how do you know that he likes you if he looks everyone dead in the eye?
Antisha on October 28, 2019:
How can you tell if they like you if they constantly look into your eyes occasionally?
Tinny on September 18, 2019:
I think he has a crush on me. Sometimes when i randomly look around i see him looking at me.But he doesn't look away or smile but he holds the eye contact.Whenever I am around his friends tease him. But he acts very cool around me.But my friends noticed that he smiles at me when I am not looking.Can anyone please help me to figure out what is happening.
Melissa on August 29, 2019:
How can I tell with the dilated pupil thing? I don't want to just be randomly locking eyes for a few seconds to see if his pupils dilate.
Becky on March 19, 2019:
Mixed signals. I honestly don't know. I wish he does like me though.
kate on January 08, 2019:
this guy that i kida like in my class is always making me smile and laugh he is kinda shy but notices when im gone from school andeven says that he missed me and that he apreacheates when i there in class with him. He smiless at me and notices the diffrent shirts i ware. He always wants to be artners and he is sweet idk if he really likes me tho. We did have chemistry earlyer on but we never had a class together after that soooo we never got a chance to get to know eachoother or hit it off.
kaki on January 05, 2019:
when he looks deep into your eyes does it mean he likes you
ariana Felix on November 13, 2018:
if a guy looks for your trouble a lot does it mean that he likes you
John on October 30, 2018:
I intentionally don't make eye contact with women, and I never flirt. I'm not interested in a relationship. So why is it they get angry and accuse me of being clueless? I'm not clueless, I'm just not interested in you. They seem to think they have a right to my attention. Do you respond to every guy who flirts with you? Of course you don't. Here's a hint: If a guy never looks at you and doesn't notice you, it's a safe bet he wants you to leave him alone. Why can't women accept that?
maggie on September 05, 2018:
there is this boy i like in one of my classes. I'm usually the one staring at him. And i only see him glancing at me when im staring first. And when he looks at me i usually look away so i don't know if while i'm not looking he stares at me. Iv'e caught him looking at me once or twice but when i catch him and we both meet our gaze, he looks away sometimes and i look away other times. Anyways, i would like to know what this means and what i should do.
Reneé on June 21, 2018:
My boyfriend of 5 years lives in another state because I moved away 2 years ago to further my education in hopes to graduate soon, move back with him and find a career. Recently I’ve been crushing on a coworker and I’m almost positive he’s crushing back, but maybe hesitant because I’m “not available”. I wanna find out how he feels, if at all the same as I do, and if it would be worth extending my stay/education to further explore the possibility of finding someone who might be a replacement for the one I’ve been with and who’s come this far and has made it through the long distance with me so far? But he has limited use of the “L” word and we have had zero conversations of marriage for our future, we also don’t share any conversations lasting longer than 10 minutes. I don’t want to lose him but I don’t want to miss out on what could be. I know I can’t have my cake and eat it too, but what on earth do I do?
Shonnia on June 19, 2018:
This man & I have messed around here & there for like 2 months he always Gently holds my face upwards and looks long and deep into my eyes without blinking why ?
A on May 15, 2018:
It's this guy at my job that I think is handsome. I never wanted him to notice me. I just thought that he's attractive. Long story short. He noticed me and he's always staring and smiling ear to ear. We locked eyes once and it was so weird. The feeling is indescribable. It feel as if I have met my twin flame, but I am not sure.
Anonymous on April 21, 2018:
I met a guy at work but didn't take much notice in him, until just before we started talking to each other and a lot has progressed since then, we started smiling a lot at each other, and he's been getting cheeky to me but i'm still not sure if he actually likes me though or is 'taken' or what?, But i am 50% sure that he is into me, i'm just still not sure if i should approach this subject to him or bring it up in the next conversation we have, because i don't want things between us to get awkward enough as it is lol
Cool on March 07, 2018:
We make eye contact I make him laugh he makes me laugh we sit next to each other occasionally he called me beautiful once but sometimes he tells me to shut up
Ur mom on December 07, 2017:
Not sure... when I used to sit next to him he would move a little to the side (not mine) but would mess with a strand of his hair, and he would also slouch.
djdjd on December 06, 2017:
This guy I think likes me because every time we look at each other we make eye contact(i heard him talking about how cute I am) and when I smile he smiles back or he just stares at me. Even if we never spoke we have this connection but i'm not sure if i should make the first move or if i should let him
Justice hargrove on November 17, 2017:
It's like my crush stares at me in my eyes but he laughs at me when I make a joke
Melinda on November 12, 2017:
Now i know this guy definitely likes me. He remembers my birthday, my address(i find that a bit creepy though) and he remembers the fact that i dint like chocolate. Then there is the fact that he wants to be alone with me so in the afternoons when i wait for my bus he always asked me to walk up to behind the school and we would play or mess around. Then when i had to go he would hug me and say he doesnt want me to go. Our hugs would last a while. I would even get more then one
OscarFrancois from Kulim, Kedah on August 09, 2011:
interesting advice... lol :P
emdi on August 09, 2011: