How Eye Contact Can Tell You If a Guy Is Attracted to You
Eye contact can be an expressive and subconscious form of body language. It can possibly indicate how a guy feels about you, whether he averts your gaze or tries to lock on to it. While you can't read a guy's feeling with absolute certainty, you may be able to get an idea with how he looks at your eyes.
What Does It Mean When a Guy Looks Into Your Eyes?
How a man looks into your eyes can possibly indicate how he thinks about you. Here are some explanations of what different looks mean.
- Fleeting glance: This is basically when eyes wander around and eye contact is made on coincidence. Eye contact will be made for a split second before breaking. There likely isn't anything behind this, so don't think too much about it.
- Intentional glance: If a guy is interested in you, he will definitely be laying his eyes on you. Eye contact will occasionally be made and he will break away out of shyness. Their body language can tell you if they are giving you more than a fleeting glance. You may be able to catch a small smile as the sight of you brings him joy. How they break eye contact can be telling as well. They are likely attracted to you if they intentionally break your gaze downward. A sideways gaze aversion is more likely an unintentional gaze.
- Long glance: This can be tricky to notice since it is so subtle. An intentional glance can last for a second while a long glance can last slightly longer, usually two seconds. A guy will break eye contact, but he will look longer because he finds you appealing. He definitely has an interest in you if he gives you this look.
- Glancing twice: This can be a strong sign that a guy likes you. If eye contact was made and they feel they were received well, they will glance at you again.
- The gaze: This is when a guy keeps his eyes continuously on your eyes for at least five seconds. This is a pretty clear sign of attraction. He likely trying to send you some signals. It will be especially blatant if he is smiling.
What Does It Mean When a Guy Can't Look You In the Eye?
Eye contact can uncomfortable for most guys. You may notice that guy will look away when you hold their gaze. I can almost seem like they are sorry for noticing you. This usually stems from insecurity or the fear of exposing themselves to others. If eyes are the windows to the soul, then a guy may not feel comfortable that you are looking in. Here are some potential reasons why a man may try to avert your gaze.
- They don't want to look flirty. A guy may think that looking into your eyes can be read by as him flirting. This can go either way in regards to him being attracted to you. If he is into you, he doesn't want you to know. If he isn't, he is probably trying to avoid giving any signals that can be misinterpreted.
- Anxiety. Anybody with social anxiety will have trouble making eye contact. Making eye contact increases the sense of vulnerability. If a guy with social anxiety avoids your gaze, it doesn't necessarily mean they like you. They may simply be nervous. It's a good idea to check if they struggle making eye contact with other people.
- They like you. Men really like to hide their feelings. Looking away from your eyes may mean they like you a lot. They are probably afraid of revealing their feelings to you. If you can get a glance at their eyes, try to look at their pupils. they typically grow bigger when they are around someone they are attracted to.
- They aren't interested. On the flip side, they may not find you particularly interesting at the moment. Their eyes may look away to find something more interesting. This doesn't mean they find you boring. They may just not be interested in the topic, or they may have their mind occupied on something else. Use the pupil test to get a possible read on them.
Eye Movement and Body Language to Look Out for in a Guy
There are certain cues you can read in a guys eyes or body that can tell you if he has an interest in you.
- Looking up while their head is down. Looking up while their head is lowered can make people look coy. Eye contact can mean attraction is there while a lowered head is generally a sign of submission. They may a bit intimidated by you; this likely stems from shyness and not wanting you to know how they feel. Looking down and away can also be a sign of submission.
- Dilated pupils. The widening of the pupils can be a sign he likes you. Pupils grow in size when someone is excited about something. This is a small clue to notice, but it may mean they are excited to be around you.
- Raised eyebrows: This is a pretty good sign that a man is interested in something. If he raises his eyebrows at the sight of you, he may have strong feelings towards you.
- Winking: This definitely a very telling signal of attraction. It can be a mildly suggestive greeting to you. On the flip side, it may just be a simple sign of mutual understanding, especially if others are not privy to the knowledge between the two of you.
- Leaning forward when speaking. If you manage to talk to the guy, try taking note if he leans forward. If he does, it means he is interested in what you have to say and probably very interested in you. However, keep your surroundings in mind. Leaning forward may mean he is just trying to hear you if you're in a noisy setting.
- They stand close: A potential sign of interest is if a guy slightly invades your personal space by standing close to you. You can give him a little test by inching a little closer to you. If he holds his position, he is receptive to you. If he moves closer, he is almost certainly into you.
How to Tell a Guy Looking at You That You're Interested
You might be lucky enough to catch the guy you like staring at you, or find the stranger gazing at you to be kind of cute. But how can you reciprocate any potential feelings? Here are some things you can do without being direct.
- Winking. This can be a welcoming gesture to a guy. It conveys interest as well as confidence. You may make them blush if they are shy.
- Playing with your hair. Maintaining eye contact why twirling your hair can drive a man wild. It tells him you're into him and that he better make a move.
- Blinking and fluttering lashes. You might unknowingly start blinking faster if you like a guy. You can send a clear and intentional message if you flutter your lashes. It can be a cute way of telling him that he has your attention.
- Bite your lip. Biting your lip can easily tell a man you are excited to be around him.