The ideal situation! She lives next door or a few doors down, so you’ll always be able to walk her home and getting a midnight snack is very easy. Wrong! This situation can turn ugly real fast (even faster than an ugly situation with a co-worker), but if you’re sure she’s Mrs. Right, then you’re in luck. You have all the time in the world and you have plenty of tools and techniques at your disposal.
Firstly, since you know where she lives and she knows where you live, there will be no inclination to avoid your friendliness. Hey, you’re neighbors after all, and good neighbors help each other. Of course, I assume that you’ve been friendly to your neighbors your entire life and haven’t been the one prick that everybody hates! If you’re that one prick… well, time to move! But, I assume you’re not, so you probably are at least known to your neighbors as a safe and normal guy. She’ll know your “street” reputation, too, which is hopefully to your advantage.
The first step is to make sure your house is neat and tidy, inside and out. No matter how good you yourself look, a girl will notice if your house looks like a run-down garbage dump. She won’t want to come over if you’re not offering her something akin to a 5-star hotel. Trim your grass, cut your hedges, clean up that garbage… hey, plant some flowers, too. Paint the fence, clean your windows, etc. The cool thing about working on your house’s appearance is that you’ll be outside all day and it will give you plenty of chance to meet all your neighbors (and especially her).
These techniques work, too, even if you live in a condo. Of course, you’re not going to have any lawn to mow, but you do have a front door that she may pass by on her way out. You also may have a balcony that she can see from her place… or hopefully, she’ll eventually see from the inside!
- Keep your home neat and tidy, inside and out (even if you still live with your parents!)
- Smile and greet all your neighbors, even the ones you don’t like so much
- Spend time outside your home, doing home repairs, maintenance – girls love a man that works
- Invite her over if you’re having friends/family over for a barbecue or other gathering
- Offer to help her on her own home, if she appears to need help with anything
- Offer to help assemble that IKEA cabinet, if you see that she has a new one
- Offer to hook up that home stereo system
- Bake some delicious treats from time to time and offer them to her and other neighbors
- Bother any of your neighbors in any way
- Keep aggressive dogs around to guard your house
- Let girls be constantly coming-and-going from your house (the neighbors will notice!)
- Let your house look like an uninviting dump
- Speed down the street to your house or play your music really loudly
The best way to capture your neighbor’s heart is to help her out in maintaining her own home. Good neighbors do it all the time, anyway, so it’s nothing unusual. Is that her pulling up to her driveway with a load of IKEA boxes in her car and no boyfriend around to help? Well, you’ll be there to help unload and move everything into the house. You’ll also be there to help assemble all that furniture. The same goes for stereo equipment or computers, etc. Obviously, you have to be acquainted with her before you offer your help, but hopefully you’ve done that already (as a good neighbour should).
Or maybe her house is in shambles, because she doesn’t know a nail from a screw. Well, that’s what a man is there for. Help her to fix her house, and she’ll maybe fix dinner for you. Hey, it happens all the time… you’re there helping her to unclog the kitchen sink, she offers you some cookies she just baked… just be aware that she’s probably not going to offer you anything more than cookies… so save yourself and don’t try to act out any of your fantasies right now. The thing you want her to feel right now is appreciation for you; women want a man who can protect her and take care of her. It’s time to show her how you can do that!
As neighbors, you can also do other things like help take care of each other’s pets or plants. She’s going on vacation? Well, you can walk her dog and feed it. You can water her plants. You can collect her mail and watch her house. Not a problem! Of course, make sure you ask for the same favor, too, because you don’t want to appear as a doormat that will do her bidding no matter what. If she does take care of your house for you, you want to make sure that she likes what she sees inside. Can she imagine living there herself? I sure hope so!
- Hopefully, you’re a kind neighbor, a good neighbor… because if you aren’t, it’s time to start.
- Keep your own home in order (house or condo), make sure it looks great inside and out.
- Whenever you see her bringing new, big things home, offer to help take them inside. If they need assembling or hooking-up, well, offer your help!
- Offer to help her take care of her home if she’s ever away for a few nights. Make sure to ask her for her help, too.
- Make sure to invite her to any social gatherings you’re having at your place.
- Bring her over any baked goods you happened to have baked (learn to bake/cook if you can’t)… when you offer something to people, they feel the psychological need to reciprocate.
- Eventually, she’ll see you as a great guy who is husband-worthy material. When she comes looking for you more often (i.e. knocking on your door), you know it’s time to ask her to spend some time away from home.
It’ll work! Just make sure one of you doesn’t ending up having to move.
S Chon (author) from North America on September 04, 2012:
Yes, exactly, Debbie!
Debbie Pinkston from Pereira, Colombia and NW Arkansas on September 04, 2012:
I know what you mean...I counsel many single clients who seem to be stuck, they don't meet many new people at work and the bar scene isn't their thing. I encourage them to join a club, such as a hiking club, take a course, go back to school, start going to church and the single's class, volunteer at a local shelter, and as many other things they can think of to "get out there" and meet new people. Those new people may or may not be a future spouse but every person they meet has the potential for friendship and a learning experience.
S Chon (author) from North America on September 03, 2012:
Thank-you for such kind comments, both of you!
I decided to write this hub, because I have so many great friends out there who just can't meet anyone... they're great people, but they just don't know how to go about meeting people!
Debbie Pinkston from Pereira, Colombia and NW Arkansas on September 03, 2012:
This is great advice! I find that many young people don't really know how to go about meeting other nice young people and potential future spouses!
LA Elsen from Chicago, IL on September 03, 2012:
This is a funny hub. I am going to share these tips with my step-son. Voted up!