Amelia Mercerdies has heard and read more than a few pick up lines in her lifetime.
Clean and Friendly Pick Up Lines
We all have heard some really cheesy pick up lines—they're all over the internet, in films, tv shows, and more. From popular memes to your favorite dating app, it's likely that you've heard of at least a few of them in your lifetime. Whether you're looking to impress a guy at the bar, send a cute note to your crush at school, or find some funny Tinder openers, here are some lines that I have heard of.
Clean Pick Up Lines
- Can I take your picture to prove to all my friends that angels do exist?
- If I had a nickel for every time I saw someone as beautiful as you, I would have five cents!
- A boy gives a girl a dozen roses. Eleven are real, and one is fake, so he told her he would love her until the last rose died.
- You know, you might be asked to leave soon. You're making the other girls look bad!
- Is your father a thief? 'Cause he stole the sparkle from the stars and put it in your eyes.
- If I had a star for every time you brightened my day, I'd have a galaxy in my hand.
- Say, didn't we go to different schools together?
- Did the sun come out or did you just smile at me?
- I lost my phone number...can I borrow yours?
- Date me if I'm wrong, but isn't your name Gertrude?
- You're so beautiful that you made me forget my line.
- There is something wrong with my cell phone. It doesn't have your number in it.
- I bet you $20 you're gonna turn me down.
- Do you have the time? [Tells you the time] No, the time to write down my number?
- How much does a polar bear weigh? [How much?] Enough to break the ice... Hi, I'm ________.
Cringey Pick Up Lines
- I was so enchanted by your beauty that I ran into that wall over there. I am going to need your name and number for insurance purposes.
- Thank you for wearing that dress!
- I wish I was one of your tears, so I could be born in your eye, run down your cheek, and die on your lips.
- Are you lost? 'Cause, it's so strange to see an angel so far from heaven.
- For a moment, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Now I see that I am very much alive, and heaven has been brought to me.
- You may fall from the sky, you may fall from the tree, but the best way to fall....is in love with me.
- Can you catch? Cause I think I am falling in love with you!
- Do you believe in love at first sight, or do I need to walk by you again?
- I'm sorry, were you talking to me? If not, then please start!
- I thought happiness starts with an 'H.' Why does mine start with 'U'?
School-Appropriate Lines for Kids
- I wish the alphabet would rearrange itself so that I could be next to U.
- Can I take a picture of you so I can show Santa Claus what I want for Christmas?
- You look so familiar... didn't we take a class together? I could've sworn we had chemistry.
- Was your father an alien? Because there’s nothing else like you on Earth!
- On a scale from 1 to America, how free are you tonight?
- If you were a fruit, you'd be a fineapple!
- Do you like raisins? How about a date?
- Are you a camera? Because every time I look at you, I smile.
- Are you from Tennessee? Because you're the only ten I see!
- Are you a triangle? 'Cause, you're acute one!
- You must be Wifi 'cause I'm feeling a connection.
Read More From Pairedlife
I give all credit of these pickup lines to the people who actually came up with them. And if you are thinking, "Boy, this is so CHEESY!"? Good. That's how it's supposed to be.
Is a Chat Up Line an Actually Good Conversation Starter?
Unfortunately, these chat up lines are mostly just for fun, and it's usually not a good idea to use them as ice breakers with someone you don't already know. They don't let the receiver know anything important about your actual personality, so they're likely to brush you off or tell you to go away—and you might come off as a little creepy.
Secondly, because many of these lines are overused, it's likely, your target has already heard it before. When you try to seriously use a line, it makes you come across as unoriginal and a little cringey.
Most importantly, is always important to be respectful of the person you're talking to and to only use them in an appropriate situation. Trying to chat up a girl at work? Not a good idea.
However, that doesn't mean you can't have fun with them! Some lines are actually pretty clever, so here are a few non-creepy ways to use them:
- Saying them to your friends as a joke
- Texting them to your boyfriend/girlfriend
- Asking the person you're seeing out on a date
- Leaving a note on your crush's desk
- Making a funny meme
If you still do want to seriously use one of these lines on someone —to slide into your crush's DMs or to send to someone on a dating app—it's best to make it personal. Try coming up with a unique pun using their name or profile photos as inspiration. You never know what magic could happen next!