My name is Tatiana, but my friends and family call me Tutta. I like writing articles that help bring people closer together.
With the growth of virtual relationships, people are becoming distanced from each other without even realizing it. When I was a teenager, there was no text messaging (at least, it wasn’t common yet); heck, the closest thing we had to it was chat rooms and pagers! People actually called people when they wanted to talk, conversations that take hours over text messaging could be completed in 10 minutes or less, and people were so much more connected and happy!
Nowadays, everyone is so connected virtually that we’ve become disconnected as physical beings. We’re slowly losing all conversation skills and confidence in holding a real conversation. We're losing it so badly that even when you see a group of teenagers together or a couple on a date (yikes!), they’re so engrossed in what’s on their phone—texting other people, getting distracted with social networking—that they’re not actually together. It’s like they don’t know how to interact anymore without needing a break to use their phones. It’s sad.
Put Your Phone Away and Communicate!
When it comes to relationships with the people we love, it’s so very important to keep real communication alive. Being distracted by technology is not healthy for any relationship if you want it to continue to thrive. What good is being with someone you love if you’re too busy focusing on what everyone else in the world is doing? Not good, not good at all.
If you’re beginning to recognize that you’ve been too distracted from your love, that’s great! Recognizing the growing problem is the first step in fixing it. Disconnect yourself from social networking and all the apps on your phone that distract you, even for just a few months. I do it periodically when I find myself getting constantly caught in the endless Facebook scroll. I call it taking an “application vacation”.
A few application vacation points:
- You will soon recognize that going on all of your apps it almost a nervous tick. You will automatically be picking up your phone and reaching for familiar buttons, but you must continue to have self control.
- Be sure to tell your significant other that you’re sorry about how much time you spend on your phone, and ask them to bring it to your attention in the future if it seems you’re spending too much time on it (because you might not even realize it).
- Set specific times in a day to check your phone for text messages. Let others know that if it’s urgent, they need to call you.
- Never have your phone out on a date or during mealtime. As a matter of fact, silence it or leave it in another room so you further reduce temptation.
- Avoid playing on your phone in bed. Instead, try cuddling and chatting the night away.
For couples, whether laying in bed engaging in pillow talk or talking over dinner, keep conversation interesting and technology-free! Try some of these conversation starters for couples if you’re not quite sure what to chat about. Aside from these, be sure to talk about your day, the good and the bad, what made you happy, what stressed you out. Share everything like you should. Then move onto a few of these!
Funny Conversation Starters for Couples
- You have to defend a person's right to marry inanimate objects - Go!
- What is your spirit animal and why?
- During a zombie apocalypse, what are 3 rules you'd abide by to maintain your survival?
- What is your favorite thing to put in a bun?
- What is the worst advice ever given to you?
- What is the worst advice that you’ve taken?
- If we were to wrestle right now, would you rather it be in mud, jello, or spaghetti?
- If it started raining meatballs, would you be scared or open your mouth to catch some?
- If you could movie marathon, what movies would you pick and why?
- Have you ever tried counting how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?
- If a sign tells you not to do something, do you feel more inclined to do it?
- What would you do for a Klondike Bar?
- What is the funniest observation you’ve ever made while people-watching?
- If I was a stranger, would you talk to me against your mother's judgment?
- What is the worst thing you’ve ever had up your nose?
- Can you do something to make me laugh?
- What is a strange talent of yours? Can I have a demo?
- Give me your best pickup line.
- Give me your cheesiest pickup line.
- What is the most recent embarrassing thing that has happened to you?
- You're at a buffet, what are 3 things on your plate?
- Same question, but now you're 'young' you. What's on your plate?
- Are you more of a chocolate sprinkles or rainbow sprinkles kind of person?
- If you noticed something in my teeth, how would you tell me?
- If my feet were 4 full sizes bigger, would you feel differently about me?
- What should my clown name be?
- If you made up your own flavor of Mountain Dew, what flavors would you use and what would you name it
- Are there any conspiracy theories you secretly think are real?
- Have you ever had a job you truly hated?
- What would've been your dream way of quitting if there were no consequences?
- If you owned a boat, what would you name it?
- What is your ideal breakfast? (Calories don't matter!)
- What's the funniest thing to have ever happened to you at work?
- You're driving, you look out your side window and see the most ridiculous thing you've ever seen. What did you see?
- Explain why your favorite dinosaur was the best one to ever live.
- Would you rather be friends with Chris Pratt or Andy Dwyer?
- You're having dinner at my parents' home for the first time, but my mom serves a food you hate. How would you decline eating it?
- If you had Dora the Explorer's backpack, what's "anything that you might need" in it?
- Godzilla or King Kong, who do you think would be a better babysitter?
- You go to a kid's lemonade stand, only to discover the price per cup is $20. What do you do?
- We decide to sign up for a couples class. What type of class is it?
- What is the worst gift you've ever gotten for Christmas?
- If you were any Disney Prince or Princess, who would you be and why?
- What celebrity would you want to spend the day at an amusement park with?
- What's something you do, that you look around first to see if anyone's watching, before you do?
- Would you consider yourself a beach person, why or why not?
- What is a job you would be horrible at?
- What are 3 things you would consider yourself an expert on?
Deep Conversation Starters for Couples
- If you could have any single person brought back to life for one hour, who would it be and what would you want to do or talk about?
- What's one quality you always looked for in someone else, that I don't actually possess?
- If you could go back in time to 13 year old you, what advice would you give yourself?
- Would you ever give the shirt off your back to someone who needed one?
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- What are your current top three priorities?
- Explain your opinion of the phrase "opposites attract."
- Should married couples consider their spouse their best friend?
- What are some things you would consider yourself loyal to?
- What are some thing that have been bothering you lately?
- How can I help to take stress away?
- Do you find political correctness is necessary?
- If you were to die tomorrow, what is something you would have to do to feel at peace?
- Do you have any regrets, and if so, what are they?
- Do you think smart phones have helped people connect with each or grow further apart?
- What are some problems you feel future generations face?
- During the holidays, what tradition from your family would you want to pass on to your children?
- Do you think 'emotional cheating' is a legitimate concern in a relationship?
- Have you ever stayed friends with an ex, and how would you feel if I was still friends with mine?
- What's your dream job?
- If you won a million dollars, what are the first 3 things you'd do with the money?
- What is the first word that comes to mind when you hear the word "marriage"?
- What would you do if I had to relocate to a different state for work?
- Have you ever wanted to run your own business? If so, what would it be?
- What's worse, a person with a lack of ambition or a person who is obsessed with work?
- If we were to have kids, what would you want them to get from me and what would you want them to get from you?
- What is something you've always wanted to learn how to do?
Flirty Conversation Starters for Couples
- If our relationship were compared to a movie, what movie would it be?
- Would you ever be interested in doing a couples' spa day with me?
- Describe your ideal date night with me.
- Have you ever had a dream about me? If so, tell me about it!
- What is something about me that you find totally irresistible?
- If I was a new car on the lot, what kind would I be?
- If I would let you kiss me right now, would you?
- You're planning a dream romantic getaway with no care of the cost. Where are we going and what are we going to do there?
- If I was a baked good, which one would I be? Which one do you think you are?
- How many times a day do you think about me?
- Do you like to be the big spoon or the little spoon?
- What are some of your thoughts about me when we’re not together?
- What would you change about our intimate life?
- What's one fantasy you've been too embarrassed to tell me about?
- What would you rather do for a date night, go to a fancy dinner, or attend a cooking class to teach us how to make a fancy dinner?
- If you had to choose an actor/actress to portray me in a movie, who would it be?
- What's a song that makes you think about me?
- Do you think couples matching outfits is cute or tacky?
- Describe how you would dress me, type of clothing, colors, style, etc.
- Do you think I'm more fun after a few drinks? How so?
The one person who should be easy to talk to is your significant other, so conversation is expected to move pretty smoothly, especially without phones being in view. Put down the phones and engage each other in conversation like it’s the 1990’s again! It will do wonders for your relationship.
Conversation Topics You Should Always Avoid in New Relationships!
FlourishAnyway from USA on August 16, 2018:
These are a lot of fun and many would be useful in other contexts as well. Great list!