I've been an online writer for over eight years. I love writing about relationships, love, romance, and flirting.
Noticing the signs of attraction that are hidden in body language can instantly tell you if a guy likes you or not. Reading a man's body includes looking at the way he carries himself, the movement of his eyes, the stiffness in his posture, and some of the other obvious signs of passive flirting.
Glossy magazines and fancy blogs often talk about body language without considering the opposite behavioral traits of introverted and extroverted men. This article will help women decode the signals depending on whether the guy is a shy introvert or an outspoken extrovert. Look out for these clues to decide if he is really interested in you.
Body Language That Says a Guy Is Into You
Here is some general body language that can tell you if a guy has a strong interest in you.
- He makes eye contact. Whether he maintains a gaze or looks away when your eyes meet, an interested man will like looking at your eyes during a conversation. If he is shy, he will likely look down to avoid eye contact. For more info, check out this article on eye contact from guys.
- He smiles at you. People smile at things that make them happy, and that could be you. You could test him by making a bad joke. If he smiles at it, you know it's not because he found it funny.
- He takes a deep breath. This is a very subconscious reaction. If a guy sees his crush, he may become short of breath. He will likely take a deep breath to gather his bearings. A deep breath can also make a man stand up straight and puff out his chest, so he may be trying to look more dominant and masculine.
- They try to fix their hair. Men will often become conscious about their appearance when they are around a girl they like. Fixing their hair is an attempt to improve their appearance, as well as possibly get your attention.
- He frequently touches his face. Some people feel like their skin gets tight when they get nervous. If he touches his cheeks and chin a lot around you, it may mean you make him nervous.
- He leans in when he speaks to you. A guy who is attracted to you will take every opportunity he can to be near you. He will lean in when speaking to be close to you and to make sure he has all of your attention.
- His eyebrows raise. Men often raise their eyebrows when they see something they like. Look for them to move when he sees you.
- His nostrils flare. Flared nostrils is a subconscious sign of physical attraction. It is definitely a sign he is interested in the conversation with you.
Body Language From a Shy Guy That Says He Likes You
Here is what to look out for if a guy is more on the reserved side.
- He breaks his stare when you make eye contact. This is a classic sign of attraction, especially in shy guys. When a guy keeps staring at you but looks away the very instant you look back at him, you should try to repeat this act. Make a game out of making eye contact with him. If he keeps doing the same thing every time, it is a sign that he can't keep his eyes off you, but he does not have the courage to approach you.
- He starts fidgeting. Another clear sign of attraction is when a guy seems to have a complete meltdown and he starts to nervously fidget when you are in front of him. This is a common trait in men who are not confident enough to ask a girl out. He may start playing with his fingers, keep taking his hands in and out of his pockets, move his tongue on his lips, shift his position unnecessarily, run his fingers through his hair, or make other fidgety body movements. These are standard signs of attraction for flirting—feel free to approach the guy and wait for him to make the move.
- He becomes uptight and uneasy. Feeling anxious and uneasy could be a natural response in a shy guy's body language when he sees an attractive girl walking towards him. His body will become rigid and still if he is attracted to you. You can easily spot these signs when a guy suddenly starts sitting up straight as if he were doing yoga or stands stiffly as if he had a back problem.
- He looks for things to do. A shy guy will typically feel his anxiousness getting the best of him when intimidated by the presence of a beautiful woman. He is likely to start looking for things that he can do to keep himself busy and mask the obvious signs of awkwardness. He may needlessly start going through different apps on his smartphone, fiddle around with his laptop, or do anything that makes him look busy. This is typically portrayed in popular culture as something a shy guy would do in an elevator when a pretty girl walks in.
- He flinches when you touch him. You can find out whether a guy likes you or not by engaging in some flirty body language tactics. If you feel bold, you can try making some physical contact. Try grazing his hand or thigh with your hand. You could even try placing your palm on his biceps. If the guy was really waiting for a spark between both of you, these moves should instantly evoke a flinch. He may suddenly act weird or have a quirky look on his face.
- His glances your curves. Take it as a sign of attraction when an extremely shy guy can't draw his eyes away from your curves. He may be unable to stop himself from taking a glance at your cleavage while talking to you. Don't mistake him as a pervert instantly because he is simply taken in by your looks. Expect this nervousness in his body language to calm down once he gets comfortable while talking to you.
Body Language From an Extrovert That Says He Is Interested in You
Here are some things you may notice if the guy is more bold and extroverted.
- He gets very close. A telltale sign that an extrovert is attracted to you is when they come inside your personal space. This will be a guy's way of heavily flirting with you and testing to see if you respond to his moves. This often happens in crowded pubs, nightclubs, and other public venues when a guy stands near you with the pretext of saying something to you in your ear because there is too much noise.
- He smiles with eye contact. An extroverted guy who likes you will instantly look into your eyes and give you a small smile. He will try to judge the way you react to see if you like him back. Extroverted men don't like to leave too much to ambiguity when it comes to flirting with women. They will want to give you every possible sign from their body language to let you know that they are attracted to you.
- He shows off his physique. A guy will instantly want to look his strongest when he wants to impress a woman he likes. This will involuntarily make him pull up his shoulders, suck in his stomach, push his chest out, and hold his arms out as if he were a bodybuilder with a massive frame. This is a common body language sign of attraction in men who have a strong sense of ego and take pride in their bodies and physical appearance. They want to use their body as an asset to show their masculinity and strength.
- He speaks loudly. In your first interaction with a guy, you may notice the fluctuating pitch of his voice. A sudden increase in the volume of his voice is a sign that he wants to get your attention. It is normal for an extroverted guy to have a loud and affirmative voice when he wants to impress a girl by making his presence known.
- He sits with his legs apart. A common sign of attraction and strong flirting is when a guy sits with his legs wide apart so that his crotch area is on full display. Only alpha males and guys who have extremely high levels of confidence have this involuntary body language sign built into their genes. A man with a reserved personality may not display this trait. Take it as a sign of attraction if the guy is also outspoken and a complete extrovert.
- He shows displeasure when you talk to other guys. An extrovert who does not hold back showing his feelings will show disgust when he spots you talking to another man. Consider the classic example of a guy talking to you at a party. He will frown or grimace if another guy approaches and has a conversation with you. This will be evident because if he is really attracted to you, he will want to have your complete attention.
- He touches you. Guys who are outspoken and extremely friendly might get touchy if they are strongly attracted to you. He can put an arm around your shoulders while you are sitting on a couch or place his palms on your lower back to guide you indoors as you walk. Getting touchy will be a natural sign of attraction for a guy and these movements will be driven by his subconscious. There will not be any hint of nervousness in his actions when he gets touchy because these levels of interaction are a normal trait in his behavior.
Signs of Body Language While Sitting That Says He Is Attracted
Here are some signs to keep an eye out for if a guy who may like you is sitting near you.
- He sits near the edge of his seat. If he is seated on the corner of his seat, this may be his attempt to get closer to you.
- His legs are spread. The more bold type may spread their legs. This could be their way of showing off. It is a fairly vulnerable position, meaning his his putting himself out there.
- His legs are crossed. A guy crossing his legs may mean he has an interest in you. This is not likely if his body and torso are turned away from you. If his legs are away but his body is facing you, it could mean he is interested in you but shy as well. Also look for where his top foot is pointing. Feet often subconsciously point to an object we are interested in.
- He sits by you as often as he can. A guy that likes you will get any chance he can to get near you. You will often sit next to you in a booth or choose to squeeze next to you on a sofa, even if there is more comfortable seating available.
Shmu-el on May 08, 2020:
That's what ya get
Makayla Harris on March 14, 2020:
I want my crush to like me, but I'm tired of waiting around hoping it will happen soon. Today, I had a choir concert and I accidentally told my friend that he was hot in front of his friend's girlfriend. She just smiled and walked away. I hate my friends knowing about it sometimes because I always get teased by my friends that he's my boyfriend. He isn't but I wish he was. I'm actually tired of hearing it because he rejected me twice. But my friends are all like, "You should date him in high school. There's your boyfriend. Your boyfriend isn't here today." Like, I'm afraid one day he'll overhear them.
Brooke on January 15, 2020:
Okay, so this guy I like, he seems kinda shy around me when he's super open and outgoing around everyone else. Sometimes I feel like he just thinks of me as a friend, but other times I feel like maybe he likes me as more than that. Sometimes I see him looking at me and then he smiles and looks away. Yesterday I felt like he was trying to get my attention because he like walked into the same room I was in and put his stuff down right next to me, and even though he didn't stay right next to me and talk to me, (this was probably my fault because I had my headphones in and was listening to music) he was still relatively near me. What does this mean? I'm so confused...
Angel on October 15, 2019:
Not sure if this has anything to with anything but the guy I like is three years older than I am and every time I'm near him he'll find a reason to ruffle my hair.Does he like me or does he see me as a little sister?
inna on October 13, 2019:
There's this guy in school..he's on a grade above me...he has a girlfriend but he chats to me quite often and even makes jokes about one day having babies with me in the future...he even stays up late with me and he even helps me with my homework sometimes and he comes to visit me quite often too...I feel like we have a connection but he has a girlfriend and he hasn't said anything about having problems with her so I'm confused...he gives me a whole lot of mixed signals...the other thing is he and I live in the same town but his girlfriend live in another town 30 minutes away so I don't know if he's just using me for entertainment...what should I do?
Sara 835 on August 23, 2019:
Theres this guy in my class who i dont really talk to and idk him that well. We sat next to eachother in chemistry, and he started fidgeting suddenly moving in his seat. Like he was obviously uncomfortable and awkward and he kept playing with his pencilcase . he wouldn’t look me in the face when i talked to him. And he kept checking his watch.
What does this mean please in so confused right now, Was he awkward around me because he likes me or because hes just a shy guy cause ive never seen him talk to any girl in the class
Nikita on August 01, 2019:
Theres this guy in my class that caught my eye i was trying to get his attention by looking at him quickly then looking away or if he got up and walked about i looked at his as he walked around i seen him look at me back a few times but im really shy and as i noticed him looking at me i looked away quickly then looked back at him until he noticed
Any ideas on what is going on need bit of help
la lluvia on July 29, 2019:
there is this guy in my class, whose friend always pushes him on me and keeps his stuff in my place... what does this mean? does he like me or not???
Lou on March 18, 2019:
Hi this guy I meet because I served him over the counter in the shop, he always is very fidgety when he gets up to the till he speaks but never looks at me but he smiles a lot and he has complemented me a few times, we did text flirt for awhile but every time we tried to meet at a decent time he would cancel on me and it was always late he wanted to meet... not to mention he wasn’t so shy behind a phone with his texts... I did get a few pics he sent me which I was shocked as the way he is in the shop... but after been canceled on twice I decided to stop texting him. He started coming back into the shop again and he is still the same and awkward too. Ugh men!!!...
Emily on November 28, 2018:
This boy called Franklin keeps smiling at me and everyone thinks he likes me but he keeps saying no but always smiles
Leala on November 24, 2018:
This guy in my English class literally walked up to me and touched the tip of my nose the other day. What the hell does that signal? Men can be so confusing.
Marie noothe on October 13, 2018:
Hi Good day i need a lovely husband who cares
Olivia on September 08, 2018:
what does it mean if we are both sitting down and his entire body is facing towards me but his chair is turned the other way?
Faith on June 06, 2018:
Like when I’m around him he messes with me, it’s like we heard thunder and I say gotta go then he’s like it’s not gonna rain and I’m like uh ya it is . Then he says never mind it’s gonna rain. Like explain please ??
Ranveer on March 22, 2018:
I just want to chat with ladies.....love,,flirting,,,other all
Kaida on February 05, 2018:
When the guy I like walks by me i feel weird
vedashree on December 13, 2017:
its very confusing whether my crush likes me or not
it is becoz sometimes he stares at me but never makes a move.
Kiki on November 15, 2017:
Im so confused i always am infront of my crush in school and he always figits with his stuff
What does this mean
helen on October 31, 2017:
kimberly, he like you
Kimberly on August 18, 2017:
When I ask my crush where is brother he doesn't answer
When I say hi to him he just look at me and smile
When I am alone walking 3 lap at PE he doesn't stop looking at me or when I am with my friend
What does this mean
Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on May 13, 2013:
Most helpful and engaging tips here on how to know if a guy likes you, the body language is exactly how you mentioned it and you explained so well.