Andrea writes on various topics from dating, couples, astrology, weddings, interior design, and gardens. She studied film and writing.
Love and the Zodiac
All the zodiac signs have different texting strategies. This article is intended to give you a little bit of insight into the texting patterns of your crush, boyfriend, fiance, or arm candy.
Here are some tips right off the bat to get you started:
- Fire signs (Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius) text more directly about their love.
- Water signs (Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces) will text you about the deep emotions underneath the surface.
- Earth signs (Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn) are looking for how they can help.
- Wind signs (Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius) will text you novels with the complexity and sincerity of a thousand racing thoughts.
- Also, earlier signs in the zodiac may be more direct and aggressive, while the later ones may take their time getting to know you as a friend first.
How to Tell If Your Crush Likes You Through Texting (According to Their Sign)
|Sign||Main Texting Characteristics||One Way You Know They Like You Is If . . .|
Aries: March 21 - April 19
They are direct, like a sense of humor, are open about how they feel, and don't love long texts.
They text you informative texts or compliments.
Taurus: April 21 - May 21
Tend not to text first and to text short messages.
They send you flirty or cute messages, or send you pictures of themselves.
Gemini: May 21 - June 21
Can be intense, but texting styles can change frequently.
They text novel-length messages, attention-seeking messages, nurturing messages.
Cancer: June 22 - July 22
Tends to be long-winded and will text novels but prefers to talk face-to-face.
They text to go over their day with you, use lots of exclamation points, send you selfies or pictures of their pets.
Leo: July 23 - August 22
Lots of humor, short and to the point.
They invite you to lots of hang outs and send you texts with lots of energy, though they might not be that romantic.
Virgo: August 23 - September 22
Very communicative and very curious.
They text you question, after question, after question, after question, after . . . .
Libra: September 23 - October 23
Tends to avoid conflict and text either too much or too little.
Consistent and persistent texts, emojis included.
Scorpio: October 23 - November 21
Very flirtatious and intense.
They send you texts to check in on you (to make sure you're not seeing other people).
Sagittarius: November 22 - December 21
Sends positive and encouraging texts, though not a huge fan of texting.
You get flirty messages, especially when they're drunk.
Capricorn: December 22 - January 20
Introverted, but with a lot of ideas to share.
They send you sensual, encouraging texts that show you emotion.
Aquarius: January 20 - February 18
Slightly nerdy, tends to hold back.
You have long text conversations that get serious.
Pisces: February 19 - March 20
Romantic, consistent, thoughtful.
They text about their deepest problems.
March 21 – April 19
An Aries sign shows its love in texting by being consistent. Aries doesn't like to sit on the fence when it comes to romantic matters. An Aries is likely to text you to hang out, make some sarcastic remarks, and keep their grammar on point—why? Because they're direct.
They don't want to confuse you when it comes to communication. Aries has no problem throwing in emoticons, as long as it doesn't come off lame to them. Aries likes to attract someone with a sense of humor. They're open-minded and will try different things to get your attention with texting. They try to get the ball rolling, essentially. You can expect an Aries to text you back quickly, to call you if they don't want to text everything out, and to throw in a few emoticons that are their favorites like the winky face, the attractive dancing girl in a red dress, etc.
Aries isn't into having long novels sent to them that they have to decipher. You'll probably just annoy them. This isn't a long-winded sign, this is a get-it-done, let's move on, and let's have a few laughs kind of sign.
Aries isn't going to shower you with endless open praise. They're not trying to be the next poet of the year. They like consistency, they like tradition, and they like facts. Aries is good about getting others in synch with what works. They're just good at subtracting the fluff, and giving you a better product than you thought you wanted.
Aries is an excellent texter -- they'll tell you when the movies will be showing, they'll tell you when your eyebrows are on point, and they'll let you know when you have goop on your face. They don't try to hide their love to the ends of the world like later signs. They're pretty frank and open about it, and they'll move on just fine if you're not interested. This is a hallmark of the majority of fire signs.
Texts You Can Expect From an Aries When They've Got the Hots for You
- Compliments. Aries sometimes feels weird putting a compliment out there for the world to see. So if they compliment you, they're into you. You've won their stamp of approval. They might like your sense of humor, your fast typing speed, etc. Don't expect the most Shakespearian messages in your lifetime from an Aries.
- Text messages inviting you to hang out, be their partner in crime, go to a dance with them, invite you to lunch, invite you to run errands with them. Aries is all about getting you out of the digital cyberspace and into physical reality with them. Texting is great, but being with you in person is better. Long drawn out text messages bore the Aries.
- Text messages of things that need to be cleaned. They might take a picture of the sink and let you know the dishes are dirty. They really want the dishes clean and they're trying to delegate someone else to do it. You seem like a worthwhile candidate.
- Reassurance texts. They'll tell you thank you for spending time with them . . . and they'll want to see you again.
- Texts talking behind others' backs. They like to have an insider with them discussing the nitty-gritty of things gone bad. They might text you about how someone sipping coffee in the corner can't seem to find their things in their purse . . . and so that clumsy individual dumps it all over the place. Aries brings attention to something else. They're good at budding up with someone.
- They'll text you about the things that need to be done — from buying the milk, seeing them at a specific time of day that fits their schedule, or the itinerary for traveling.
- If they're really feeling sassy, they may send you a selfie of themselves. What they're actually doing is trying to see if their outfit works. Let them know it looks good. You'll get brownie points.
- Questions about what you would prefer. They'll try to get a good idea of the person you are through questions that help guide them on where to navigate the blooming relationship.
- Aries is likely to flat out say they like you. They don't see the point in hiding it.
- She may text you to remind you about something they're geeking out on. Aries people tend to be very smart, and they love to share information that means something to them.
April 21 — May 21
Read More From Pairedlife
Taurus, on the other hand, is going to take their sweet time romancing you. They can be unfortunately shy. They really like for you to take the lead on what is exciting, then they may match it if they like you back.
Taurus usually has a pretty sweet sense of humor. Many of them are good-looking by nature, they're hard workers, and they like money and keeping it. They like texts that let them know you're listening, that you care, and that you appreciate them. Don't expect a Taurus to text you first; it can happen . . . but you generally need to get the ball rolling with them. Make sure you're not over doing it either or they'll think you're not serious or that you are strange. Taurus is naturally looking for a good connection, someone with strong values, and someone who works hard for themselves.
Taurus will text you things in short. If you message them on Facebook, you may just see a read receipt. They let you know they read things or are aware, but they might not text you back anything of length . . . or at all. Taurus will be fun natured. They like to meet in person, so if you invite them out, they'll try to meet up with you. If you can open them up, they'll text more. They're very calculated about how they text. They want to be intentional, and they like to introspect before they get their feet wet. They don't want to waste your time or their time. Time is precious to a Taurus.
A Taurus may bring up a text conversation where they stopped texting and talk about the rest of it in person. They may text you days later or call you later. If Taurus really likes you, they'll make sure they get back to you one way or another. You might confuse this sign if you try to write an entire novel to them (wind signs, hold it back).
Earth signs like to be playful in their texts. They flirt through getting to know if you are fun and stable. They don't like to be overwhelmed or argued into a corner. That doesn't give them the vibe of security. Sure, they like a little bit of perversion, Capricorn probably the most out of all of them. Taurus is mostly looking into whether YOU'RE interested in them. They already know where their interest lies, so they don't care to introspect that part once they have it solved . . . . and they may forget to tell you or show you how they really feel.
What Steamy Messages to Expect From a Taurus When They Like You
- They'll be throwing out their sense of humor in spades. Once they know they've got you hooked, they'll lighten up and open up about their weirdness, which can be quite delightful.
- You'll get pictures of places they've traveled. Taurus loves to travel. Taurus loves the Earth. So expect a travel log from them. They probably have an Instagram of their favorite outdoor places.
- They'll send you pictures of themselves—they might ask how is their hair is looking. The difference here from the Aries is that Taurus already knows they look good. They're not asking for your opinion. They're wanting to get in your head with their good looks. Taurus is sneakily confident this way.
- When a Taurus likes you, they'll get really cute on you. They might ask you what kind of chocolates you like and they might send you adorable emoticons to test your reactions -- they try cutesy stuff.
- They also try weird sexual stuff—so you may switch from something sweet and lovely . . . and then quickly be sent something that would make your grandparents blush. It may be unnerving to make such a huge transition, but Taurus sees all of it on the same platter. And most earth signs are this way. Innocence and sensuality are all mixed together in their feelings, so what the heck? Do you want to know my dirty thoughts?
- Taurus will not text you back. They will just appear. You say, "Do you want fajitas?" And they'll be at your door before you've finished making food.
- They'll have their phone out constantly . . . and you may never get a text at all. Taurus isn't as into texting as other signs. They want your physical presence around them. Yet... you will see them with their phone often.
- Taurus will act cool when they're not actually feeling cool at all.
- They'll send you a text that's about a metaphor for life. They're opening up to you the best way they can.
May 21 — June 21
Gemini—full of duality, an aggressive genius, a goal conqueror. Gemini will text you and only you. They'll focus on you and the entire game. They may come off too intense in the beginning. They may pout in darkness, or they may romance you with roses, a serenade, and never ending poetry.
Gemini is complex, loyal, and willing to be malleable. If a Gemini likes you, they may easily switch to the kinds of texting tactics you use. Gemini conversations are not all the same. If they know love is on your mind (and there is) they'll do what they can to appease the Gods at work. Gemini doesn't ignore you to play mind games. Gemini is a straightforward sign. They have goals, and they are bonkers about getting them done. Most Gemini I know are down-to-earth in what they pursue.
They may be abstract thinkers or quite insane, but they live to accomplish. A Gemini by its very nature will be smart with you. They can't help but show off something, so if you analyze your texts carefully—the Gemini is cleverly (or outright) showing off something whether it's their good looks, their genius, or their quirky personality. Gemini will be pushing to see you in person. They don't like long waiting games that lead to nowhere. They may over text you, as wind signs tend to have a lot on their mind and they can express a great deal more than you would expect.
Gemini will outright ask you why you're canceling on them, but they'll sulk in the quiet too... and unfortunately not tell you if they think it's the best choice. They are likely to just show up at your door ready to play a game or three. They're looking for a companion to get along with their duality. They'll believe in everything, but can also be utterly hopeless. You may get very depressed, detailed, and impressive texts all of a sudden. Try to encourage your Gemini that they're the best, that you don't just want them for their body, but you want them for their crazy, awesome, out-of-control, and spinning thoughts.
Gemini Texts That Mean They Like You
- Long novels. Moby Dick like novels. Wind signs can write never-ending texts. Gemini might write you something incredibly absurd and meandering. Libra will write you something long to avoid conflict. Aquarius . . . will write you something highly detailed, important, and coded in mystery.
- Gemini may take pictures of their own drawings and send them to you. Geminis tend to have a knack for drawing.
- This zodiac will text you to see when you can hang out. They may overdo it and take you on a much bigger adventure than necessary—like to France.
- Gemini will text you late at night, into the early morning hours.
- This zodiac is looking for something happy and lighthearted. They want something that makes them laugh in a little texting.
- They may send you texts mommy or daddying you. Did you brush your teeth today? Did you sleep okay? When is the last time you went to see the dentist?
- Angry texts. They couldn't say it in person, so they're saying it through text. Take it as a compliment that you somehow set them off and they're emotionally confused. Don't expect to anger an Aquarius and get a reaction—that wind sign knows how to cover up its hot and heavy reactions.
- Gemini may make up something elaborate to get your attention. Hey, what do you want to do? Hey, do you like me? Hey, look at me! I'm awesome. Just thought you should know.
- Incredibly outlandish questions. Something bothered them, and now they're asking something that's circling around in their brains that they can't solve. Of course it's a complicated question. Geminis don't like to admit they can't answer something.
- Pictures of themselves. Hey, look at me! I'm hot, right?
June 22 — July 22
Cancer and texting. Trust me, it's all over the place. Cancer technically doesn't like texting. In fact, Cancer would prefer to talk with you on the phone for five hours straight. Cancer is a brilliant and heavy zodiac. They are always deep in thought, as my Libra friend once said as she locked herself in a room to avoid the Cancer -- you know, since Cancer is so deep and it brings up conflict, Libra's greatest fear.
Cancer will text you 6-8 pages of text. It will be never ending. They'll tell you about all the intensities of their day. It may surprise you, it may disgust you, it may be too much—but that is Cancer. They'll text you at any given time of the day, they'll stop texting completely because they find texting impersonal and they really care about our interactions on a level most people don't. Cancer is authentic. It wears its heart on the sleeve. It also can write a menacing text message writing off all of humanity.
Cancer is a dreamboat, but it doesn't know what makes it great. It can be insanely insecure and wrapped up in its own enigma. Cancer needs a big push in life, and we need this pounding heart to explain life's mysteries. Cancer intends to love deeply, to laugh deeply, and to remember deeply.
You'll never get to the bottom of a Cancer. They'll carry you home. They'll drunk text you. They'll text you while on drugs. Just expect an uneasy amount of fireworks coming in your direction. At one point they're yelling at the universe without end, and the next they're like a curled up kitten in your hands meowing softly as they stare into your eyes.
Cancer Love Messages—Hey, Hot Stuff
- Cancer will write you an entire novel and send it to you. They don't want you to understand all the details, they want you to feel all the feels they feel. Cancers are deeply emotional. It's insane, really.
- Cancer will text you to check on your wellbeing. Did you make it home okay? Would you like some cookies? Would you like this beer?
- They'll text you to review their day with someone.
- They'll text you about some deep, enriched corner that you have been missing. Maybe they'll compare you to Shakespeare, ramble on about communism and the fall of Mao Zedong, or they'll ask you if you have studied quantum mechanics. All things are off and crazy when it comes to a Cancer.
- A lengthy love letter, as if you are talking to Romeo himself.
- Bawdy selfies. Cancer isn't as bad as say . . . Scorpio . . . but Cancer wants you to know how they feel, so they don't necessarily censor all their primal feelings. Cancer is pro sexy.
- Cancer will go on and on about absolutely nothing just to talk with you.
- Lots of exclamation marks.
- Cancer may overreact and be completely excited that you texted them because they've been waiting for your response as if they have spent their whole life on a desert island with no water.
- Cancer may send you random pictures of their pets. A Cancer without pets is a sad Cancer indeed.
July 23 — August 22
Leo may not be super into texting. It's time consuming, and they like to be direct. Leo will try to pounce on you. Leo will send you messages to see if they can get a laugh or 12 from you. They'll downright tell you they're into you and that you should just get married already. Or that part of their bed is too cold and that they need something creative to make it warm again.
Leo doesn't play mind games. They should be pretty easy to read. And just in case it isn't too easy to read, they'll flat out tell you the truth. Fire signs are nice that way, sometimes intimidating, but they don't leave a lot of space for you to have to figure out. Leo will text you all their crazy hippie thoughts, and jokes, jokes, and more jokes. And probably memes to make you laugh.
Leo will tell you just how attractive you are. They'll wish you were there with them . . .probably without clothes. They may sound like they're really dependent on you and the love you offer. Leos can be brief, they can be a riot, and they can come from nowhere. Leo keeps the joking to a maximum. They'll see if you want to hang out, they'll invite you to a party, and they'll call you when they get tired of texting. Texting isn't their favorite mode of communication.
The Way a Leo Texts to Say "I Like You."
- Leo will flat out tell you they like you. They'll say so in person. They'll say it in a text. They're not playing Mr. Mysterious.
- Leo will do what they can to make you laugh. They're sweating bullets over whether you'll laugh or not.
- Leo will invite you to a number of hangouts and parties—expect sporadic hangout invites that mean they want you, and they want you now.
- They might text you something really sweet out of nowhere about how they think about you and how it just entered their mind (hint: it didn't just enter their mind—they've been crazy about you since day one).
- Leo may text you super short responses when they've gotten comfortable with you. They're not super into their email, Facebook, and phone. They would love to light all those things on fire.
- Leo is trying to use ESP on you. They'll talk to you in your dreams . . . like dream texting or something.
- Hey, do you like guacamole? Leo will cook you something. Like all the things. They want to impress your stomach. They trust the stomach's interest more than other parts of the body, besides the heart. But they want to be super careful about feelings and such.
- Expect something not well put together that's all over the place. Ahhhhhh. Marbles rule the world forever!!!
- It won't be that romantic. They just have a certain energetic energy to try and get you into their world.
- Leos might text you in a mist—so what is happening? When is homework due? Can you help me?
August 23 — September 22
When Virgo is smitten they'll ask you 5,391 questions. They won't take a breath for you to ask them questions. Virgo wants to know absolutely every possible detail about you. They want everything to be perfect, and in order for things to be perfect . . . they meticulously get to know you.
They'll invite you thousands of times to various things. They'll invite you to things even when they know it doesn't work with your schedule. They text you about anything and everything they think is interesting. They'll talk to you about their perceptions of God, philosophy, and their deepest fears. Virgo acts like a ticking time bomb when they like someone. They'll do anything to get what they want, and they may seem crazy like if they don't get you, they're going to be disappointed at not achieving their goal.
Virgo in love is impressive; this sign figures you out, figures out what you want, and makes everything better without you even knowing that it could have been better . . . Virgos are insane for this reason. They're trying to take dynamite and make the walls fall off the world's caves -- they want to open everything up to find the best view into the sky. They'll keep things clean, they'll compliment your good looks, and they'll wonder if you feel the same. Ask them how they're doing and they'll reply back with a lengthy, explosive paragraph about all their troubles. That's when you know a Virgo likes you.
This sign actually enjoys being single and will stay away from most relationship prospects. If Virgo opens itself up completely to you . . . then Virgo most definitely wants you. Virgo isn't talking about emotional things just for the sake of it—they're hoping you'll give up on the emotional information and you'll embrace the Virgo fully. Virgo desires the perfect relationship. If you have all the qualities Virgo wants in a partner, they'll chase you down to the ends of the earth.
Reading Virgo Love in Text Messages
- You will receive 5,391 questions. It can range from questions about what makes you annoyed, when's your birthday, to would you like to ride in a hot air balloon shaped like a giant whale? Virgos are questionnaires on crack.
- Virgo will give you detailed responses to everyday questions. You ask "How are you" and they give you a response as if they're trying to win a best written essay contest.
- Lots and lots of emoticons and lols to make you feel reassured of their love.
- You'll get texts like this: "Would you like to go to a wedding with me?" "Will you go to a dance with me?" "Will you go to a gas station to pick up hamburgers with me?"
- You'll think the conversation has trailed off with a Virgo, but they'll pick it up randomly. They'll tell you exactly how they feel, and that feeling will confuse and bewilder them.
- Virgo will ask if they're being too intense, too weird—they're worried they're not being perfect. Reassure them in the right direction.
- Virgo will compliment you in a number of strange ways . . . while also slipping in some questions. Honestly, Virgos might like questions more than sex.
- Virgo will send you happy GIFs. Not sure this is really a selfie-taking/sending sign. They might find that too self-centered. They'd rather ask you questions.
- Nerding out on their favorite things for no real reason at all. DO YOU LIKE STAR WARS? I LOVE STAR WARS!
- Virgos are perfectionists. They are great at fixing things. If they notice something is wrong with your house, they may send you a message to see if they can fix it, like a leaking faucet or loose doorknob.
September 23 — October 23
Oh, Libra. Libra swoons at every text message you send. They don't want to seem too hasty, and then they'll text you a novel. They might wait a few days to see if you'll text them first. Sometimes they forget to text, sometimes they forget plans, and sometimes they're thinking about you so much that they forget their lives.
Libras are by default lazy, and yet they can adore the object of their affection unlike any other. Being in love with a Libra is warm and special. It's a roller coaster. When dating a Libra you should expect long messages. You should expect avoiding conflict. And you should expect the strangest possible things you've ever heard of times a million.
Libras will share all of it with you, and then they'll feel bad for overdoing it. Then they'll feel bad that they're being too quiet. Libra is constantly creating and recreating their systems for balance. They just hope that you'll help them find that balance. A Libra will fall in love with you fast. They'll text you constantly to see how you're doing. They like constant updates. They like the intimacy of a good text message.
A Libra may seem shy or withdrawn at first, but once they're hooked, they're captivated. If a Libra seems down, you should help them out by figuring out what is going on. Don't let them wallow in the closet by themselves. Make them cookies, write them a note, or go dancing with them. Libras hate conflict, and they hate when they create conflict. They want peace for all humanity. While Virgo perfects the world, Libra wants the peace to come through.
If you're interested in a Libra, text them positive messages. Libras cling to those that make them feel good and happy. Libras like it when they can just be themselves. They don't want to be a caricature of themselves. They want to be authentic. Let Libras think their wild thoughts, and collapse with their off the wall emotions. Libras are a great deal of fun. They're loyal, they want things to be fair, and they love from the bottom of their hearts to the moon and back twice over. Libra wants to know you deeply.
Loving Libra Texts
- Pages upon pages of texts with overly sappy emotions.
- Direct texts telling you they want to see you now. They may not expand on those thoughts at all. They may sit in the dark in silence and pretend they never sent that message.
- INSANELY EXPLOSIVE AND INTENSE TEXTS BECAUSE THEY ARE DRUNK TEXTING YOU.
- Imagine all the images and all the emoticons of the world. You'd think Libra was a water sign the way I've described them, but no -- just a wind sign with a lot of thinking involved.
- Consistent and persistent text messaging. Libras text often about everything. Lots and lots of plan making.
- Libra doesn't send negative texts. They use texting to constantly bring in happy thoughts. They use their phones as remotes to turn on your joy. Their negative texts are the worst when they happen.
- :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
- Long detailed messages about the finer parts of life. Remember wind signs are long winded when it comes to messaging. Libra is the softer-sided wind sign -- so expect long, long romantic messages. They'll love you until the moon turns purple.
- They might text you too much information about their bodies.
- Poems. Usually humorous poems like haikus and limericks. They want to make you feel good! Did I make you feel good? What thoughts make you feel good?
October 23 — November 21
You'll definitely know when a Scorpio likes you through texts. Scorpios flirt through texting. You'll get a consistent stream of them. Sometimes they may stop texting for a few days as a way to recharge, talk to others, focus on other tasks, not seem too needy, and see if it'll make you text them. Don't worry. Nothing you do in these situations really makes them throw you to the curb, unless you're being a jerk.
Scorpio—when it is fascinated with someone—is like a train that can't be stopped. Scorpio will flat out tell you in text that they like you. They'll text you for hours straight about anything and everything. I've had conversations with Scorpios that range from talking about the dust on their TV, to liking the way I dressed for the day, to what their mom is watching on TV. They tell you everything when they like you.
They also hit on you and flirt with you a great deal. They will tell you if they think you're attractive. Scorpio, in my opinion, is quite obvious when they like you . . . and when they are over you. They'll also be frustrated if you take too long to answer. Don't worry too much . . . I've waited several hours and even days before texting one back. You have to mess with them just a little bit.
Scorpio does intensely text and does take intense breaks. Sometimes that means they have someone else on the side—it can also mean they are needing to focus on their other goals. They don't want to bother you too much, and they fear that they are doing that or looking stupid by texting you so much . . . so they'll back off on the texting.
Scorpio wants you to know that they are there for you. They want to know your deep secrets, and they want you to listen to them gripe about the strangest things imaginable. Scorpios can be somewhat obsessive.