Compatibility Between the Elements
Most people are familiar with the zodiac and how their sign defines personality, dictates days, or determines compatibility with other sun signs. There is also a moon sign to tell you which house of the zodiac the moon was in on the day you were born. The position of the moon is said to have a great influence on your emotional side and the way you operate within a relationship. But every zodiac sign belongs to one of four main elements: Air to breathe, Fire to warm us from the cold, Water to cleanse us and quench our thirst, and Earth to live on. These elements describe the four personality types associated with the zodiac. In addition to describing basic character traits, the astrology of the elements is amazingly accurate at determining how two people will get along (an Air with a Water, for example) and whether they will have a negative or positive effect on the other.
The elements combine astrologically the same way they do in nature. When two people of the same element get together, it is not usually a good combination. It hinders growth because the individuals become too comfortable together. Relationships need balance and growth, and when two Earth signs unite, for example, they ground each other so much that they become paralyzed and cause inertia to occur. Because they are so unbalanced, one person usually steps forward to dominate the other or swallow her whole. Here are the ways different signs match up.
- AIR-FIRE: Fire needs air to survive, but too much of it will make the flames rage out of control. Air doesn't really need Fire, though Fire is able to heat air and cause it to rise. Air also provides concepts and ideas for the Fire sign to act on and forge into reality.
- EARTH-WATER: Water nourishes the Earth sign so it may grow to it's fullest potential, and feels comfortable finding a home in Earth. Earth loves Water's life force and giving energy.
- FIRE-WATER: These two signs must be careful when interacting—water can put out fire, but if the fire is large enough, it can dry up water completely. Water can provide sensitivity and patience to his fiery counterpart, whereas Fire can provide motivation and the courage to act that the Water sign usually lacks. In order for a relationship to work, Fire and Water need to have a great deal of respect because each has the capability to destroy the other.
- FIRE-EARTH: Fire sets the Earth ablaze with passion and intensity, whereas Earth provides the Fire sign with some much-needed discipline and acts as a grounding force in the Fire sign's life. Earth can certainly contain fire but when Fire rages it can temporarily rob Earth of its life-giving nutrients.
- EARTH-AIR: Depending on its mood (and therefore it's temperature) Air can either provide Earth with loving warmth or give her an icy chill and cold shoulder. It can sometimes be a struggle for Earth to get Air to come down to her level and see the world for what it is—a beautiful reality, rather than a concept to be analyzed.
- AIR-WATER: Not a favorable combination because air and water can combine to form destructive natural disasters like tornadoes, hurricanes, and tsunamis. These two signs can work together if they are able to not let small conflicts snowball until they get out of control.
© 2007 becauseilive