Cancer and Aries Compatibility: Everything You Need to Know
Cancer + Aries
A Cancer and Aries relationship will cover a lot of ground. Both signs are early in the zodiac, but Aries is fire and Cancer is water. Aries is the first house and Cancer is the fourth house, which makes both the first signs of their elements. This relationship is a square relationship, which can make for a lot of compatibility or tension.
I tend to think these relationships have the right amount of similarity and opposition—too much similarity will make a couple feel like they are friends, and too much opposition makes it difficult to find a loving, supportive connection. These two are going to come at the world with completely different perspectives, so it will take a lot of conversation and a built-in understanding of each individual to make this work.
Cancer + Aries Cheat Sheet
March 21 – April 19
June 21 – July 22
Beginning of spring
Beginning of summer
Aries is the firstborn child of the year. It comes after Pisces, the 12th house, and sacrifices itself in order to bring life into the world. Aries is marked by this independence from the womb. It wants to make a mark on the world, separate from its family, and get people around them to wake up and go. Aries does not want to revert back to its origins and be forced back into the womb. This sign loves adventure, ambition, and action.
Cancer comes from a completely different direction. Cancer changes the season to summer. It brings an intensity to the year, as if someone has gotten pregnant. And in a way, it has. Cancer and summer in general mark the conditions a woman goes through in her body from carrying a fetus and helping it to mature. Cancer is one of the most yin signs of the whole zodiac. It is a highly reflective sign—its moods change with the tides brought about by the moon, and it wears its heart and passions on its sleeve. Cancer's pregnancy is what is carried for nine months until the birth of Aries. This can cause Cancer to have extreme pride in being the catalyst. Aries is prideful for being the firstborn of the zodiac.
Aries and Cancer Together
Aries will have to humble itself to make this relationship work. Cancer is going to need an extra amount of attention and affection. I don't think there is a limit to Cancer and how much it can receive. In return, Cancer will shower you with their love. If you are not open to this, you should steer away from Cancer. Aries' independence could make this relationship unattractive to them. Cancer—and all water signs—want to merge with their partner strongly. Cancer is very direct about this, considering they are the first water sign, so they don't go as deep and brooding as Scorpio . . . and they aren't as soft, gentle, and mentor-like as Pisces. Cancer needs a high amount of romance, dedication, loyalty, and pride.
Aries and Cancer may connect well by arguing, which gets them heated and passionate. Aries needs to remember Cancer is sensitive—super sensitive and moody. Think of what pregnant women go through and that's a Cancer—the need for pampering, need for attention, excitement by bright colors and food, mood swings, feeling overheated, powerful dreams, powerful moments with the body, intuition increases, hormones increase. It is an intense state of being. Aries needs to respect this and also not fear it. Cancer needs to respect Aries for its need for space and independence. This relationship could help Aries to be more collaborative with others, and this could help Cancer become better at releasing people and loving them without being too clingy. Cancer has a hard time allowing others to have independence because they focus so much on the womb and connectivity, togetherness, and nurturing.
The First Child and the Mother
Aries will have to work hard to attend to Cancer's heart. Aries can be selfish when it comes to affection and really being tender. This can feel unnatural to Aries, who wants to focus more on drive, making things happen in the world, setting fires, and creating sparks. Cancer will naturally go with any partner. They want to take care of them—but they can also be selfish in how much it wants to give and how much it demands of others. Cancer needs to consider whether or not they are getting a fair trade-off in this partnership with Aries.
Remember, this is not a relationship where you look at the other person and see yourself. Your partner has different needs than you, so you have to communicate it in order to understand their perspective. You will have to both to compromise, collaborate, and be patient with one another. This is going to be hard because earlier signs in the zodiac don't have as much patience. They are very action-driven—and if you both have that mentality it could help, but you could also make each other mad for no reason at all.
This relationship could have some bigger battles based on gender. With an Aries female with a Cancer male, the male could feel like he is constantly being emasculated and is never given a chance. The Cancer could push him away or make him feel down in the dumps rather than uplifted. This could cause a lot of tension, so again, Aries needs to be humble if it is attracted to a Cancer. Don't push and pull the relationship in whatever direction that leads to your expectations. You need to listen to what your partner has to say as well. Cancer needs to contribute evenly with Aries.
Passion and Affection
Both of these signs really want passion, but it does come from different places. Aries wants deep, spontaneous, sparks flying passion—Cancer wants to go down into the depths of its emotions, with all the sadness and clinging possible.
Cancer will help Aries by taking care of their needs. They will be more of the manager of the household, cleaning the home, taking care of the things Aries brings up. Aries can summon up a number of new things into life because they have this gift of manifestation. Cancer, with a strong parental urgency, will be there to mature, nurture, and strengthen these manifestations.
Protection vs. Manifestation
Cancer wants to protect and preserve, and Aries wants to venture and manifest. This is a manager and leader relationship—you two are not covering the same ground. Both individuals need to operate to the best of their abilities. This relationship will struggle if the couple is composed of two young partners. Adults who have traveled the planet longer and have learned from their experiences are ready for this relationship. It can feel tumultuous at times, but it can feel fulfilling as well. Know that the two of you have different boundaries—when Cancer is feeling emotionally vulnerable, they need Aries' help to not to feel like it's doing something wrong or holding back. It'll take time to balance out your different strengths and weaknesses.
In regards to marriage compatibility, when the two have too many similarities, they may work better as friends. It takes a good balance of similarities and differences for a romantic couple to learn from one another and thrive.
- Water + Fire = steam. This relationship is passionate and sensual.
- Cancer can sense insecurity and give Aries emotional support.
- Neither sign gives up on a relationship easily.
- It is easy for each sign to forget to compromise.
- Cancer can be possessive and limit Aries from doing what they love.
- Aries can become temperamental and ranty.
What about friendship compatibility? Similar to a romantic pairing, there are both positives and negatives to this relationship. Once this pairing realizes how much they have in common and how to accept their differences, the friendship can only become stronger.
- Aries make the best personal cheerleaders.
- Cancers can teach Aries patience.
- Friendship is important to both signs—Aries especially look for friends for life.
- An Aries may be overwhelming or demanding.
- Cancers can be a little too emotional for an Aries.
- Aries needs to constantly reassure the Cancer that their friendship is strong.
- Take time to listen and not just respond to your partner. You might not instantly understand each other and the problems you are going through. Be patient.
- Be open to forgiveness.
- Pick your battles intelligently. You don't need to argue about anything and everything.
- It's important to spend time together enjoying more lighthearted things. This helps the relationship progress.
- Aries is constantly going to be mystified and fascinated by Cancer's emotions, which shift like the moon. The sooner Aries accepts this energy, the sooner it can enjoy it.
- Cardinals come to ignite new seasons, bringing forth exciting new energy. Don't get carried away with your energy and demand more out of your partner than what you are contributing yourself. Don't play a game by tallying "points."
- You feel rewarded in how different you are if you stick at it the bumps and tension will ebb and flow—and not always be sharp. You can unite.
- Don't worry too much about it, but work on trust. Practice meditation and yoga to help slow down mentally and slow down your fierce energies. You both have strong temperaments that you'll have to balance that out with your partner.
- Traveling together will help open both of your minds. I highly recommend traveling around the world and finding new perspectives.
- Don't shy away from passion, because you solve a lot of your problems with passion.
- Be aware of how others see you. If you are getting feisty, go somewhere private. Others might be uncomfortable with how upset you two are and how you are trying to resolve it.