How to Get Copies of Divorce Records

Updated on November 29, 2016
Marcy Goodfleisch profile image

Marcy has researched and written about relationships, domestic issues, dating, and con-artists for more than a decade.

Tips to find court and legal records

Can't find your divorce decree?  Here's some helpful information to get you started.
Can't find your divorce decree? Here's some helpful information to get you started. | Source

How do I get a copy of my divorce decree?

Anyone who is divorced will rarely forget the day they went to court.

However, remembering the details of the decree or even locating the paperwork years later can be a challenge. You probably filed everything in "that box" somewhere, the same way you have tried to move on from that sad memory.

If you can't find your divorce records, don't despair. There are ways to recover those records without tearing apart your garage or rummaging through the basement.

You do not have to use an attorney to get the records; you can do this on your own.

Contrary to what you think, it's easier to get your records than you might imagine, and it will not cost you a fortune.

Chances are, you may have to pay a small fee to get a copy of your records.

But, if you were divorced in any county in the United States, you should be able to get a certified copy, even years after the fact.

There are a myriad of reasons you may need to get a copy of a former divorce decree.

Here are some steps to help you get the records you need.

How to Request Old Court Records

To get a copy of your own divorce, or, for that matter, even another person's decree, you will need the following information:

  • The state and county in which the decree was granted.
  • The year or approximate year of the decree.
  • The name of at least one party in the divorce.
  • The address of the courthouse clerk where the decree was granted.

Are you missing some of these details? You can still locate the records if you do some sleuthing. Try doing an Internet search for the name of at least one person in the marriage, or both names. If the last name is common, this will be more challenging than if it's an unusual spelling.

Try searching for both names, and search also for the year it may have been granted. If you aren't sure of the year, enter a series of years, one by one, to see if that narrows the search results.

Finally, if you know the state, but not the exact county, search for the county seat of the city where you lived at the time. If you don't know the city, for some reason, but you do know the region of the state (hey, time does things to our memories, right?), you can locate nearby counties and contact all of them.

The reason for searching online is that many counties (especially in large urban areas) have loaded the basic information (the names of the two parties, number of the case and the date) onto the web, and that will give you the information you need to file a request.

Most counties now have electronic databases where old files are loaded - this is a huge help, because it save time in having a manual search. Try calling the county or counties where the divorce may have taken place, and ask if they have the records.

After you locate the courthouse where the records are kept, ask the clerk what you need to do in order to get one or more copies of the decree.

Usually, you will need to send a written request and a small fee for copying the paperwork. If you want an official copy (one stamped by the court clerk, to show it's official), you will probably have a fee for that as well.

While you're at it, consider getting more than one copy - this could be helpful for the future, if you have children or others who need the records. You can also keep a copy in a safe deposit box if needed.

Courts and Divorces can be Complicated and Confusing

Your divorce decree is an important tool if you need to return to court someday.
Your divorce decree is an important tool if you need to return to court someday. | Source

Why You Need Copies of Divorce Records

There are numerous reasons people need to refer back to divorce records years after the decree is granted. Here are just a few:

Child Support: If there were children in the marriage, child support can hinge on the age of the children and when they turn 18. If someone is behind on child support, the other spouse will need the decree in order to request that it be brought up-to-date. It's important to have the specifics of the decree in order to determine what the court ordered. There's a difference, for example, in support paid 'twice a month,' rather than 'every two weeks.' In one case, there are 24 payments a year; in the other case, there are 26 payments.

Child Custody & Visitation: In any divorce where children are involved, the decree will lay out who the children live with and the time each parent is entitled to spend with them. This information needs to be examined when someone moves out of state, or when the visitation doesn't seem to be following the guidelines of the decree.

Sale or Disposition of Property: We live in harsh economic times, and some couples divorce but still retain joint ownership of property, in the hopes that the economy will improve. Your decree will define who is responsible for payments, taxes and upkeep. It will also define the percentage of ownership and the ratio of distribution of equity and appreciation in the event the property is sold.

Retirement Benefits: You may have been young when you divorced, but the decree might have specified a portion of the pension or retirement funds of your former spouse will go to you. You'll need the court records in order to establish what was decreed.

Death of a Former Spouse: The decree will document the length and dates of the marriage, which is needed if the surviving former spouse wishes to receive Social Security based on the income of the deceased former spouse. Even if you are divorced, you can get Social Security benefits based on the income history of someone to whom you were married for at least 10 years. The Social Security office can tell you what is applicable in your own situation. The decree is also useful if one partner is entitled to insurance benefits or survivor benefits from a pension fund.

Requests to Adjust Monetary Awards: It is not unusual for divorced couples to return to court to adjust child support, alimony or spousal support. A judge who hears this request will refer to the original decree to determine intent, original award determination and other facts.

This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.


Submit a Comment
  • Marcy Goodfleisch profile imageAUTHOR

    Marcy Goodfleisch 

    7 years ago from Planet Earth

    Hi, alocsin - so glad you found the hub useful. I have moved, had water leaks, misplaced boxes of 'important' stuff and many other things over the years - so it's easier than people think to lose valuable records.

  • alocsin profile image

    Aurelio Locsin 

    7 years ago from Orange County, CA

    With so much paperwork in our lives, I can see how these can easily be misplaced. Thanks for showing some ways to recover them. Voting this Up and Useful.

  • Marcy Goodfleisch profile imageAUTHOR

    Marcy Goodfleisch 

    7 years ago from Planet Earth

    Good for you, fpherj! I sometimes have more success than at other times in keeping things where I can find them. And of course fires, floods and other unplanned events can require someone to reconstruct their document files.

    Thanks for reading and for the votes!

  • fpherj48 profile image


    7 years ago from Carson City

    Any vital document is quite important to keep safe and available. Divorce papers can be required at certain times, just as any of our other records.

    I've always tried to make it a point to keep important paperwork, together, in tact and clearly marked. My record-keeping may not be perfect, but I can say that I've rarely had to tear the entire house apart from one end to the other to find a few sheets of paper!

    Thanks for this helpful hub, Marcy.......UP+++

  • Marcy Goodfleisch profile imageAUTHOR

    Marcy Goodfleisch 

    7 years ago from Planet Earth

    Hi, Bobbi - thanks for your New Year's greeting - you, too! So glad you found some good information here. I think some of this can help with genealogy research, too.

  • PurvisBobbi44 profile image

    Barbara Purvis Hunter 

    7 years ago from Florida

    Hi Marcy,

    This is great information and useful for the ones who need it. Looking for any document can be a royal pain as I have searched for many of my ancestors information doing my family tree.

    I wanted to say--- have a great 2013 and may it be the best year ever.

    I voted useful and interesting and tweeted.


  • Marcy Goodfleisch profile imageAUTHOR

    Marcy Goodfleisch 

    7 years ago from Planet Earth

    Thanks, Bay Area! It's good to know someone with your legal background feels the information is helpful. Let me know if there's anything I can add?

  • BayAreaLawyer profile image


    7 years ago from San Francisco Bay Area

    Great advice here Marcy.


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)