25 Inspirational Quotes to Help You End Your Toxic Relationship
1. "You can't change someone who doesn't see an issue in their actions." - Unknown
This is the most important one to remember. Toxic personalities refuse to believe they contribute to or are the problem. Mature conversations about troubling issues is impossible and attempting to is utterly a waste time of time.
2. “You don’t ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life...
... It’s one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and continues to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go.” – Daniell Koepke
3. “Until you let go of all the toxic people in your life you will never be able to grow into your fullest potential. Let them go so you can grow.” – DLQ
No truer words have ever been written. Toxic people stunt your growth and act as a deadweight in your progress, despite their outwardly projected words and actions.
4. Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself.” – Hussein Nishah
You can't love someone nor expect them to fully love you until you genuinely love yourself.
5. “Toxic people spread their toxin to you and then you, in turn, become a wasteland like they are.” – Body Focus
Indeed. And it becomes an extremely hard habit to break.
6. "Sometimes you have to accept the truth and stop wasting time on the wrong people.” - Unknown
It's difficult to accept but freedom comes when you do indeed accept it and act to change it.
7. ”You have to speak to be heard, but sometimes you have to be silent to be appreciated.” - Unknown
Not a cold shoulder game, of course; the silence is because you're no longer playing their games.
8. "Sometimes there are things in life that aren’t meant to stay. Sometimes change may not be what we want. Sometimes change is what we need.”
Change is difficult but accepting the truth about your relationship and deciding to make changes was the hardest part.
9. Letting go doesn’t mean giving up, but rather accepting that there are things that cannot be.” - Unknown
Walking away from a toxic relationship isn't defeat, it's accepting you can't make someone be who you want them to be.
11. ”The best way to move forward is to let go of the people holding you back." - Unknown
Unhook yourself from that anchor and sail away to happiness.
10. ”You can’t fight for a place in someone’s life because no matter how hard you try to keep your place...
...they’ll put you where they want to even if it’s not where you should be."
The epitome of the toxic relationship. It's all about them.
12. "Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as friends and family." - Unknown
Unfortunatel, family is more poisonous than friends too often.
13. "The only people mad at you for speaking the truth are those living a lie." - Unknown
As they say, a hit dog yelps loudest.
14. "Like arsenic, toxic people will slowly kill you....
...They kill your positive spirit and play with your mind and emotions. The only cure is to let them go." - Dennisse Lisseth
You can't grow if you're constantly being broken.
15. "Removing toxic people from your life isn't the difficult part. Not feeling guilty about it is." - Unknown
This is a fact. However, you feel less guilt with each passing day.
16. "Sometimes your heart needs more time to accept what your mind already knows." - Unknown
Relative to quote number 15, only time will allow this to happen. Just allow yourself to reconcile heart and mind at your own pace. Just give it time.
17. "We teach people how to treat us." - Dr. Phil
There is so much truth in that one small sentence. People will treat us in the manner we have always allowed. It is up to us, as individuals, to set our boundaries and enforce them.
18. "Actions prove someone is; words just prove who they want to be." - Unknown
There is so much truth in this powerful statement. To truly understand your place in someone's life, watch their actions and mute their words.
18. "Actions prove who someone is; words just prove who they want to be."
If you want to know your true value in someone's life, mute their words and watch their behavior.
19. “Controllers, abusers, and manipulative people don't question themselves. They don't ask themselves if the problem is them...
...they always say the problem is someone else." - Darlene Quimet
And that perfectly sums up the toxic personality.
20. "Dear Self: Stop re-opening your doors for toxic people....
... then calling it "seeking closure". Certain things don't work out in life.. and that's ok" - Reyna Biddy
21. “Because at some point you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life." - Sandi Lynn
It's a painful journey to the destination iof acceptance that you must walk away from a toxic relationship but it is one worth taking in the end.
22. "Remove toxic people out of your life. Stop maintaining relationships-with people that make you feel guilty about things that you like...
...that make you feel awful about yourself, that put you down, that don’t support you, that are mean. You just get those people and remove them out of your life. Delete them off of Facebook, break it down easily. Because instead of just maintaining these “relationships” with people for the sake of just being polite or civil, you can be civil without having people that you don’t want in your life and you’ll be so much happier. You need to stop maintaining relationships with toxic people because it’s just not good for you and it’s not worth any of your time." ~ Rachel Whitehurst
Again, enough said.
23. "Not all toxic people are cruel and uncaring. Some of them love us dearly. Many of them have good intentions. Most are toxic to our being simply because...
...they aren’t inherently bad people, but they aren’t the right people for us. And as hard as it is, we have to let them go. Life is hard enough without being around people who bring you down, and as much as you care, you can’t destroy yourself for the sake of someone else. You have to make your wellbeing a priority. Whether that means breaking up with someone you care about, loving a family member from a distance, letting go of a friend, or removing yourself from a situation that feels painful — you have every right to leave and create a safer space for yourself." - Daniell Koepke
No more words. She summed it up quite nicely.
24. "My father once said, 'If you're in the desert and you're dying of thirst, are you going to drink a glass of blood or are you going to drink a glass...
...of water? I think what he was trying to say, interesting coming from my blood father, is sometimes there are people in your family that can be toxic." - Nicolas Cage
Obviously Nicolas had a wise father.
25. “Sometimes it's better to end something & try to start something new than imprison yourself in hoping for the impossible.” - Karen Salmansohn
Similar to Albert Einstein definit ion of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Both make excellent points.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
Unfortunately, my toxic relationship is my marriage of almost 6 years. He never listens to me, his so arrogant and proud, so annoying. He's not supportive. Sex, of course, is zero because he doesn't listen to me. Each time I consider divorce, I worry about my kids. But I'm deeply hurt inside and av no affection for him. I've prayed to God for a way out, but it seems His quiet. What do you advise me to do to get out of my toxic relationship?
I'm not a therapist so please take my advice as just one person to another and not marital advice.
If you're unhappy and feel that relationship is toxic, you are the only one who can change that. I strongly recommend seeking out a therapist and talking with him/her about how you can begin the steps to change you, your perspectives, attitudes, and behaviors (not meant negatively, we all have areas that need work), and meeting the life goals you have in mind.
Therapy can be a bit pricey but I've found it's worth every single penny. It changed my entire life for the better, so I can't recommend it enough.Helpful 19
© 2016 Kim Bryan