Reasons to Not Get Your Boyfriend or Girlfriend's Name or Initials Tattooed on Your Body
Should I get my girlfriend's name tattooed on my chest? Is getting my boyfriend's initials tattooed on my neck or wrist a bad idea? Couples often get excited about getting each others' names tattooed as a permanent symbol of love and commitment. Find out why getting such a tattoo is a dumb and stupid decision. Except in the rarest of cases, name tattoos are usually a one way street to regret and more money spent for their removal.
1) Don't mistake a tattoo as a real sign of commitment or true love
Many guys and girls make the mistake of looking at a tattoo as a sign of love. Don't make the same mistake because a tattoo may be permanent, but it does not guarantee that a relationship will be permanent too.
If someone is forcing you to get his or her name tattooed on your body by using love and commitment as reasons, use these answers as rebuttals.
- Tattoo is not a special sign of love, anyone can get it
- Real commitment shows in everyday behavior, not in a small patch of ink
- A tattoo may be permanent, but it is not a written contract binding you both in a relationship forever
2) Your new girlfriend or boyfriend will never like a tattoo of your ex on your body
One of the biggest reasons why you should not get your girlfriend or boyfriend's name tattooed on your body is that your new partner will hate it. The inking will be a nasty reminder to your new partner that you had committed your heart and body to someone else in the past.
Try to step into your new partner's shoes and think about some of the questions below.
- How painful would it be to rest your head on your new boyfriend's shoulders, only to find that you are actually resting your head on his ex's name
- Would you like it if your guy had his ex-girlfriend's face inked on his heart
- How would you feel if your girlfriend had her ex's name tattooed on her bust
- Wouldn't you hate it if your new girlfriend had her hunky ex's initials tattooed on her bottom
3) A name tattoo will stop you from moving on if you breakup with him or her
Without a doubt, having an ex's name tattooed on your body will be a cruel reminder of your breakup. It will hold you back from moving on and every time you look in the mirror, you will feel the pain of heartbreak over and over again.
This sad reminder of a broken relationship will be worse if you have got your first love's name or initials tattooed on your body. First loves are hard to forget and a tattoo will push you further into the darkest corners of your heart.
4) Tattoo removal is expensive: Getting rid of your ex's initials will cost you a lot of money
For all the intelligent people out there, a simply explanation to why you shouldn't have your girlfriend or boyfriend's name tattooed is that tattoo removal is expensive.
You may have saved hundreds or even a couple of thousand dollars for a beautiful tattoo design which has your girlfriend or boyfriend's name in it. But remind yourself that you will have to spend the same amount of money if not more, to get it removed or covered up with another tattoo.
5) Get a symbol of love as a tattoo instead: Something which does not have a name
If your girlfriend or boyfriend is annoyingly persistent about getting a tattoo, get a nice little design instead. Convince him or her by saying that the design can be your own personal symbol of love which defines your beautiful relationship.
Getting a design instead of a name is much better because if you break up, no one will know that it is a sign of your previous relationship except you. If chosen wisely, it can also be a tattoo which will look cool and you can flaunt it off.
6) Get matching tattoos instead: A design, not initials
Getting each other's initials tattooed is a common mistake many guys and girls make in a relationship. If you must get something inked to symbolize your relationship, get matching tattoos done instead of initials.
Ask the tattoo artist to give you ideas for matching designs which will look cool even by themselves. This way, even your own design by itself can become a cool tattoo you can show off to your friends in the future.
7) Name tattoos are tacky and dumb: Your friends will make fun of you when you get a tattoo
You must realize that getting a lover's name tattooed on your body is a really dumb decision. Don't be under the impression that it is a unique idea because it is actually one of the tackiest things a couple can do.
If you still decide to go ahead with getting initials tattooed, expect your friends to make fun of you. Don't expect them to understand the deep meaning behind your new tattoo. The harsh taunts will make you feel that your friends are disrespecting you and your relationship.
8) Your friends will make fun of you if you break up afterwards
You will become the laughingstock in your friend circle if you break up with your boyfriend or girlfriend whose name you got tattooed on yourself. Everyone who knows about the tattoo will mock you for making such a stupid decision.
The worst part about this is that you will virtually have no comeback to fight off silly jibes. You will have to succumb to their mocking taunts, which can be a cruel thing if one of your friends turns foe and decides to use it against you maliciously.
9) You can buy a piece of name engraved jewelry instead
Intense feelings of love can drive people to do crazy things, including getting name tattoos. Don't let it be yours.
If your partner is dying to give your relationship a symbolic form, go for name engraved jewelry instead. Suggest to him or her that you both can have your initials engraved on matching jewelry pieces, whether it is a ring, bracelet or a neck-piece.
Engraved jewelry is a great idea not only because it will help you avoid getting a permanent tattoo, but also because it will look good as an accessory. For example, a black tungsten or titanium initials engraved ring will look good on men while a cute bracelet can become the perfect fashion accessory which a girl can pair with almost every dress.
10) Some people believe that name tattoos jinx a relationship
Many people believe that name tattoos or ones with initials jinx a relationship. This is one more reason you should get such a tattoo even if you don't believe in hearsay and you ridicule the very notion of being jinxed.
It is unlikely that anyone has ever come up with statistics and numbers to prove that tattoos jinx a relationship, but why take a chance.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.